S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Any issues with getting oil up to proper temp with Oil cooler?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Any issues with getting oil up to proper temp with Oil cooler?

I drive the car occasionally and take it to the track here and there. Do any of you guys have issues of getting up to proper temp in between sessions? Does it take a couple of laps to get warmed up? Should the stock oil cooler remain to help to get temp up to proper temps?
Old 01-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably depends on where you are, but your oil will not cool down significantly between sessions. It may come down to "mildly hot" if you take a long lunch break, but it'll be up to temp within a warmup lap or two. Even the first session of the day (albeit in California's "cold" days of 60*) the car is still warm from the drive to the track, and it'll get up to temp in a lap. That's with an external Setrab oil cooler with a thermostat, and no oil/water cooler. If you just have the stock oil/water cooler, I would definitely run a temp gauge--you will likely be more worried about overheating the oil than not getting it up to temp.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

As long as your car is up to water temp before going out, then the outlap should be enough to get the oil up to temp if you have a thermostat on your oil cooler.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 PM

thanks guys. I hear the best place to check the oil temp is at the oil pan. Which sensor do you recommend that works with the drain plug? And which gauge?
Old 01-04-2016, 03:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can not see the point in guys installing oil coolers before gauges.

I'd much rather monitor temps before adding parts to cool temps....

Imo: keep oem heat exchanger to have oil heat up quicker from cold starts for daily driving/potential out lap this might help too? I guess depends on duration of breaks between sessions

I would definitely run a thermostat for the oil cooler to ensure you are keeping temps optimum for the street, and decreasing time to get up to
Optimum temps!

If u tap the pan via oem sump plug, this is M14x1.5mm and you will need an adapter that has this thread on the male side, and female side has a 1/8th fitting... Defi sensors are mainly 1/8PT (also known as 1/8bspt) (tapered fitting). You can custom order defi sensors for America and get it in NPT too...
Old 01-04-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_916
I drive the car occasionally and take it to the track here and there. Do any of you guys have issues of getting up to proper temp in between sessions? Does it take a couple of laps to get warmed up? Should the stock oil cooler remain to help to get temp up to proper temps?
Oil temp will get upto temp as others said after your first warm up lap or even sooner. I don't understand how so many people track their cars all the time without an oil temp gauge but maybe I'm just anal. When I was running the oem pan, I bought a replacement drain plug for the oem pan and installed an oil temp probe. It was cheap and effective. Surprisingly it didn't make oil changes much more difficult. Just use some quick disconnects for the wires and just remove the whole drain plug w/ sensor.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:34 AM

Would this work? Seems like it comes with everything I need.

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4402-10...=aem+oil+gauge

Edit...looks like I need the oil drain plug that allows the sensor to go into
Old 01-04-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

That should work, I think this is the adapter I used. http://www.42draftdesigns.com/univer...or-drain-plug/

Just make sure the sensor is a 1/8" npt thread and you're good to go.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I have an oil cooler with a 200F thermostat...

I start my car up, make my way to grid, and use the first lap to get the oil temp above 150F before I start hammering on it. Generally, that lap does it, but at the end of the season when it starts getting cold, it can take all of that lap around a 2.23 mile track.

As for the thermostat and street temps... It helps, but I won't get over 200F unless I'm trying to or possibly sitting in traffic on a 90F day.

This is this past fall... Probably 40's, IIRC. The water temp was nearly at operating temp before leaving my driveway and this was taken after driving around my neighborhood.

If I actually drove this car on the street much, I'd limit cooler airflow at anything but summer.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Any issues with getting oil up to proper temp with Oil cooler?-grmpvua.gif

Quick Reply: Any issues with getting oil up to proper temp with Oil cooler?