S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Another alignment thread: especially for those with the Honda UK recommended settings

Old 05-21-2003, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just changedb my alignment to the Honda UK recommended specs. Unfortunately I also made some other changes (tyres, suspension, pads) so don't know how much can be attributed to the alignment. I would like to know if people that played with the UK specs got the same results.

On the minus side, these were:

1) Unstable under hard braking. Sometimes you need to fight the steering to keep it all neatly under control.

2) Less willing to take a set on long corners and a lessened feeling of rear wheel throttle induced steering, if you know what I mean.

Plus:

1) Much more controllable,

2) less prone to violent and sudden reactions.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much have you lowered the car on the Bilsteins?

I'm lowered 23mm running on Ohlins. Running the UK recommended alignment, I didn't have any problems.

I've since moved to -1.5 front camber, which suits my driving style even more. I like a slightly oversteer biased setup.

I never had any problems with brake stability when running the stock shocks - including track use. I did find the car different with respect to using the throttle to adjust line, but I found this worst in 2nd gear corners on track, rather than long corners.

The downside to what I'm running now is that the car's a little tiring on longer drives, because it's so responsive.

-Brian.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:48 AM

Brian,

I am running -25mm front & back. I also did not have any stability problems with the Modulo shocks, but then I was only lowered 10mm and was aligned on standard specs.

My rotors are basically down to resurfacing limits and must be replaced. I wonder if that is a contributing factor. A couple of days ago I had a sudden jerk to the right on light braking (coming to a red light) which I couldn't but attribute to brakes...

On the other hand, lowered 25mm, I wonder how the whole suspension geometry gets changed and how it plays with "recommended alignments". Unfortunately I do not have a race team, test drivers and everything that needs to be in place when you start to go off the beaten path ...

So basically, it's either the

1) shocks
2) brakes
3) alignment
4) lowering (roll centers et al...)
5) wacky weight balancing job (results do not translate reality)
6) a lousy alignment (ditto)
7) Tyres (went from s02PP to S03PP)
8) or a combination therefore...

Not an easy job.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:27 AM

And bushes, tyre pressures, etc. I know what you mean. The valving on the Ohlins is certainly a different feel to the other S2000 I've been in running similar lowering (running Leda suspension.).

Hard to offer any help other than crossed fingers really. Just change one thing (brakes first from the sound of things) and hope you get lucky.

It took Honda UK a few days pounding round a test track to produce the alignment... but I agree there's no way it can perfect for everyone let alone after lowering, and changing the shocks.

With the braking, is it the back end moving, or the front - assuming you can tell. I did have to correct the back under very heavy braking on track with the stock shocks, but I'd not braked that hard before switching to the recommended alignment so I can't say it's related or not.

-Brian.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luis
[B]Brian,

I am running -25mm front & back. I also did not have any stability problems with the Modulo shocks, but then I was only lowered 10mm and was aligned on standard specs.

My rotors are basically down to resurfacing limits and must be replaced. I wonder if that is a contributing factor. A couple of days ago I had a sudden jerk to the right on light braking (coming to a red light) which I couldn't but attribute to brakes...
Old 05-22-2003, 08:46 AM

I notice that tire pressure makes a huge difference in tram lining. Try adding a pound or two...

I'm liking the UK alignment pretty well for street and track, but when I had the alignment done my car was nowhere near the 'normal' factory alignment.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Pinky
Can you please post the alighnment specs for the UK as I will probably run them in the very near future!
Since I suspect it was by post of this that started this a long time ago, I'll oblige.

-Brian.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Brian:
Thanks so much. Does this setup lead to excessive tire wear compared to the US settings? I don't track the car much and do a decent amount of highway driving so I don't want to be wearing the heck out of my tires for no reason.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:21 PM

The inside of the tyres do wear quicker due to the camber. But based of the miles different people in the Uk get, I think it's still more a case of how you drive.

-Brian.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]Your problem in my opinion SOLELY lies on the S-03's(they are crap!!!!)

Quick Reply: Another alignment thread: especially for those with the Honda UK recommended settings