S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Alternatives to the "big" Mugen bar: Comptech(kit) or Tanabe or ?

Old 03-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must say that some of these percentage claims are impressive relative to the size increase of the bar.

With their express permission I have posted below information copied from Whiteline on measuring sway bar stiffness percentages relative to increase in bar size.

------------------------------------- BEGIN -----------------------------------

Stabiliser Bar

Diameter Conversion Chart

Showing percentage (%) increase in torsion for bars of the same shape, design and material specifications.

Choose original bar diameter from left column, then follow across to the right to determine % increase in stiffness required. Or, check % stiffness of a new bar size against the original.

Eg. Original bar has a diameter of 24mm You would like the new bar to be approximately 50% stiffer. Sighting across you have a choice of either 38% for 26mm or, 60% for 27mm.

IMPORTANT : This chart is purely for rough comparison purposes and is only designed to serve as a guide. It can not be used when comparing different bar shapes, designs or material specifications.

------------------------------------ END -------------------------------------

Note that the chart is for "showing percentage (%) increase in torsion for bars of the same shape, design and material specifications."

The standard OEM swaybars are hollow 28mm while
the Whiteline bars are solid 30mm ...

...making them substantially stiffer than this particular chart would indicate. This chart should not be used to calculate the stiffness of solid bars against hollow bars. I have merely provided it here (courtesy of Whiteline) as general info to give an idea as to relative levels of stiffness.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SC_Highlander
[B]What bar do you guys recommend for autoX events mostly on asphalt?
Old 03-01-2003, 07:46 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got no ambitions (or skill) to compete nationally. Streetability and cost are considerations that I'll need to weigh against the benefit of a new bar.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:14 AM

Then the use of the Saner or Muz bar may be your most cost-effective choices. The trade-off may be in ultimate stability as you gain experience and confidence in the car and your abilities. Try to keep the tire witdth ratio the same as for the stock S02s - 1.5" wider in the rear. That's the root of the problem since Kumho Victoracers only have 0.5" difference between the 225 and 245s. I'm going to use the Kumho Ecstas this year - narrower (205 and 225) but more balanced with a 1" difference front-to-rear. Nationals were won on the new tires but no one I know of has tried it on an S2K. We'll see...
Old 03-03-2003, 02:42 PM

Doses anyone know the formulas to compare the relative stiffnesses of swaybars of different diameters and wall thicknesses (including solid bars) based on the assumption that other aspects (metal properties, length of lever arm,ect.) are equal?

Pierre