S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Alignment suggestions

Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Alignment suggestions

Hi guys,

Just back from a track session at Sepang in Malaysia.

Currently i'm running 215 45 17 F and 255 45 17 R RT615 with stock suspension.

Toe : 0.06 out / 0.34 in

Camber : 1.75 F / 2.5 R

front Castor 5 deg

Wear is very even across the face of the tyre although tracking seems to have eaten away the outside more recently. A driving instructor took my car out and around a hard right left complained of snap oversteer. He almost spun it 3 times (i dont really feel the spins were very good form). I only spun a low speed 180 deg once on a cool down lap cos I took a bad line to avoid a reckless wrx driver and felt the car was oversteery but controllable, if a bit slow as it didnt feel as comfortable to lean on.

He leans more on the suspension than I do but I did note that I tended to dance in a neutral (slightly biased to oversteer) drift at the exit out of the higher speed corners when i powered out (felt good though ). I also wasnt able to lean on the suspension as much as I wanted to as the tail felt like it was probably a bit loose.

The instructor told me to reduce my camber at the rears to increase braking grip and reduce snap oversteer. My gut instinct is to increase camber and toe to 2.0/3.0 F/R & get my toe to total 0.5 in on the rears

The track is Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia and there are some high speed corners I note that hold alot of time in them which leads me to feel that sacrificing the slower corners might be worthwhile.

Any tips on how more I should go?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search "alignment" in this racing forum and you will find more info than you will have time to read.

My impression is that you have a stock suspension? If so, go with as much camber in the front as you can. Your drivers front will be limited somewhere around 1.5-1.7 unless you a one of the few lucky ones or have an aftermarket suspension. The rear is fine at -2.5. Max the caster, and set your rear total toe no more than 1/8in. I prefer 1/16in. I would set the front toe to 0. This will make the car feel a bit more twitchy at high speeds but will be much more controllable. I run close to these numbers with my r-comps and love the way this setup feels on my RE070s. Good luck.

-Marc
Old 07-30-2008, 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=sirbunz,Jul 30 2008, 07:13 AM] Search "alignment" in this racing forum and you will find more info than you will have time to read.

My impression is that you have a stock suspension? If so, go with as much camber in the front as you can.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c32b,Jul 30 2008, 04:43 PM
i'm running close to no toe up front so i think thats fine. cos the turn in isnt really blunted. just curious about the rear toe, basically at 1/8 in thats probably less than what i already have. won't that result in my tail swinging more easily?
Yes the rear will be slightly looser, but it will also be more controllable while improving your overall grip. I thought less snap oversteer is want you were going for. The easiest/simplest fix IMO for snap oversteer is a stiffer front swaybar. There was very little I could do with my late '05 S2k with a stock front bar on it. An alignment helped, but there was only so much it could do with the amount of roll the stock suspension allows. I would recommend a Gendron bar if funds are no issue or a CR bar or '00 - '01 AP1 bar if you wish to keep a budget.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by sirbunz,Jul 30 2008, 09:30 PM
Yes the rear will be slightly looser, but it will also be more controllable while improving your overall grip. I thought less snap oversteer is want you were going for. The easiest/simplest fix IMO for snap oversteer is a stiffer front swaybar. There was very little I could do with my late '05 S2k with a stock front bar on it. An alignment helped, but there was only so much it could do with the amount of roll the stock suspension allows. I would recommend a Gendron bar if funds are no issue or a CR bar or '00 - '01 AP1 bar if you wish to keep a budget.
thanks for your comments. I will experiment with the toe settings. would you advise running more camber?

Also i have my wing on order which will be a fairly large aftermarket one. what would u say i would have to tweak in alignment to match that wing?