S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

alignment help

Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment help

As the title states what is the best alignment setting for max grip/decent balance between front and rear. I dont care too much about tire-ware. Car being an ap1 dropped on espelir asd's running stock ap1 size dunlop direzza star specs on a 16/7et 45 and 16/8 et48.

I know alot of people say just stick with the uk spec but I was wondering if anyone ran anything else and liked it better than the uk spec.

Also what is a good psi to run in these tires? I am brand new to these and figure I'll go by rollover but still want to hear what you have to say?

Thank you guys
Old 07-21-2011, 03:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

This is what I suggest for maximum grip on a car without camber-adding ball joints:

Front:

Have the mechanic set the front camber adjusters to max negative camber and leave them there--no more adjustments necessary unless he has to back off a little to equalize the settings with the other side of the car.

Then set caster to the stock setting (6 degrees for the AP1).

Repeat this on the other side of the car and make sure the settings are the same. Then set the toe to 0.

Rear:

Set the camber to match what you got up front and use the stock setting for toe-in (0.25 inch total AP1).

I'm in the process of doing a how-to on alignment. It's not finished but it's here: http://robrobinette....00Alignment.htm

Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I really want to learn to do alignments myself. A good alignment is something I swear by.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a while, on an otherwise stock ap1, I ran the UK alignment with an extra degree of neg camber front and rear. That setup was good for the track, but had a little too much push for auto-x.

Your desired settings will also depend on springs and sways. What are your front and rear spring rates? Stock sway bars? What yr is your ap1?

Rob makes a good suggestion. Personally, however, I think my '03 stock with max front neg camber probably would've been perfect for autocross but a bit loose on the track. Depends on how you prefer the car to be setup.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo8765
For a while, on an otherwise stock ap1, I ran the UK alignment with an extra degree of neg camber front and rear. That setup was good for the track, but had a little too much push for auto-x.
it probably understeered because the uk alignment has too much rear toe-in. The alignment is designed to stop the uk S2000 buying public putting cars backwards into hedges!

like rob said max camber all round and between 0.10 and 0.30 total rear toe-in
if you can't change springs and bars and it pushes go down on the rear toe-in
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Former Moderator

Of course alignment settings are related to your suspension mods and driving style/preference. With my highly modified suspension I run -3.5 camber in the front and -3 in the rear and it's very quick on the track. turbo8765 makes a good point, with a completely stock suspension it might be wise to run an AP1 with about 0.5 more negative camber in the rear.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 PM

only mod to the suspension is espelir asd springs (so far but plan to go coilovers after i save up a lil more and do more research, ran tein flex on my old berlina and was not too impressed) , other than that its all stock 01 suspension. its going to be mostly street drivin and auto-x but i dont want to strictly set it up for auto-x. Basically what im trying to achieve is a neutral and predictable feel when pushed hard.

thanx again for any input
Old 07-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Former Moderator

Now that we know it's an '01 I'd modify my original suggestion to:
Front:

Have the mechanic set the front camber adjusters to max negative camber and leave them there--no more adjustments necessary unless he has to back off a little to equalize the settings with the other side of the car.

Then set caster to the stock setting (6 degrees for the AP1).

Repeat this on the other side of the car and make sure the settings are the same. Then set the toe to 0.

Rear:

Set the camber to what you got up front plus 0.5 degree more negative camber and use the stock setting for toe-in (0.25 inch total AP1).
Old 07-23-2011, 04:07 PM

^ thanx for the help dude. ill update my impression after alignment is done and tires r broken in.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

for better initial turn in - front toe shoud be out or in?

does reducing rear toe also imporoves it?

Quick Reply: alignment help