S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Alignment or Corner Balance first?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EternalLx,Feb 8 2009, 07:01 PM
My shop does both at the sametime. He goes back and forth adjusting both as one changes the other till everything is spot on... takes about 2 - 2.5 hours.
I'm thinking about getting the car corner balanced and the alignment check before the season starts up. Could you PM me some info (what shop, pricing, etc.)? I'm outside Atlantic City.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by krazik,Feb 8 2009, 08:10 PM
I think your guy is pulling your leg. How does an alignment change your cw?
I am really not sure but from what I can figure if lowering or raising your ride height effects your alignment then shouldnt your alignment have a slight impact on your ride height?

It seems like PDS would be able to answer your question a lot better than me.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:02 PM
PDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Feb 8 2009, 05:10 PM
Are you aware how caster works? As you change caster (part of alignment) you are moving the stub axle fore or aft thus changing what has been termed the king pin inclination. As you do this you are in fact also moving the wheel up or down in relation to the others. Obviously changing the vertical load on that tire = corner weight.

If you want to get overly serious with corner weighting I know guys who run Spec Miata who loosen the control arm bushings prior to getting on the scales. After the scaling is complete they then make sure there is no preload in the anti roll bars when hooked back up and then tighten the control arm bushings. These guys also get into all types of asymetrical set ups depending on the track. Most of us never have to go quite that far.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:26 PM

So is there a "set standard" when it comes to corner balancing? I was always under the assumption that once the ride height has been manipulated, then the tires need to be be relaligned. So CB then Alignment.
PDS is there a noticable difference in doing it the way you described? Sorry for being such a newbie.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by krazik,Feb 8 2009, 05:10 PM
I've never gone through this, but I'm in the exact situation on my project of what to do first. Just imagining conceptually, wouldn't an alignment affect the CW a little? Maybe not to a whole degree where it can ruin a CW.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:53 PM

You should do your alignment first and than your CB. Or both at the same time.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 PM

if there's a lot of alignment change, then i would align then CB. i agree with PDS...

from experience, slight caster and even camber change can affect a perfect balance... in which case, unbalanced car will affect it's perfect alignment.

so i good start is to do alignment to your specific setting, then CB.

i own scales and have access to alignment rack so i go CB, align then CB again...
Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by PDS,Feb 8 2009, 11:02 PM
Are you aware how caster works? As you change caster (part of alignment) you are moving the stub axle fore or aft thus changing what has been termed the king pin inclination. As you do this you are in fact also moving the wheel up or down in relation to the others. Obviously changing the vertical load on that tire = corner weight.

If you want to get overly serious with corner weighting I know guys who run Spec Miata who loosen the control arm bushings prior to getting on the scales. After the scaling is complete they then make sure there is no preload in the anti roll bars when hooked back up and then tighten the control arm bushings. These guys also get into all types of asymetrical set ups depending on the track. Most of us never have to go quite that far.
Exactly what we do as well.

ride height, rough cw, caster, camber, toe, and then lock down the corner weights.

And on the roll bars. First thing we do when we get the car on the pad is unhook the bar.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM

Yeah definitely both at the same time - in a pinch you can set your caster where you want before the cornerweight session - which is pretty easy to do on an S - and then run down the street to the alignment shop.

I would imagine that most places who do cornerweighting have the capabilities to align as well.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah unless your alignment guy seriously sucks, you max out the caster and leave it alone. And small changes in caster aren't going to significantly change your corner weights.

And you're not driving a formula car. I bet most people here couldn't tell the difference between 50lbs off on cross weight.

Quick Reply: Alignment or Corner Balance first?