S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Aggressive street and light track alignment

Old 06-26-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aggressive street and light track alignment

I've been reading up on a lot of alignment setups but wanted to run my exact situation by the people here to make sure it sounds good.

2003 S2000
Bone stock
205/?/16 front tires (S02)
225/?/16 rear tires (some other Potenza pole positions)

I do mostly street driving, probably 15-20k miles a year. I do an occasional track day, but I'm not sure when I'll get back out there. I do *not* autocross the car, so stability and predictability is going to be more of a focus for me than extremely fast response and ease of transitioning.

I enjoy an aggressive street alignment on most of my cars. My previous car was an LS1 FD with what most people would consider a very aggressive street setup or a medium duty track alignment and it was exactly what I was looking for, so I'd like to do something similar.

As far as driving style, I'm pretty comfortable with a loose setup - I actually ran my '01 S2000 without any tire stagger and did a couple track days like that. It was a bit of a handful, but a lot of fun. Obviously slower than if I had a staggered setup, but as long as the breakaway is predictable, loose is fine. Better than understeer!

It seems like the UK specs would be a good place to start, but I feel like a bit more front camber might be a good idea. Maybe slightly less rear toe as well. I'm not sure what would be best for caster, maybe I should try for more?

UK Specs:

Front
Caster Left 6
Old 06-27-2009, 07:35 PM

Bump, any advice?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you post this in S2000 Talk, I'd be happy to offer my opinion. I'm sure other people would help, too. But seeing as how your setup is 99.9% street and 0.1% track useage without significant Racing or Competition intent, I don't think it would be fair or appropriate to discuss in this forum.

To make it clear, I want to help. But not in this forum.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bump front camber up to -1.5. All the other specs will work fine.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by CKit,Jun 27 2009, 11:47 PM
If you post this in S2000 Talk, I'd be happy to offer my opinion. I'm sure other people would help, too. But seeing as how your setup is 99.9% street and 0.1% track useage without significant Racing or Competition intent, I don't think it would be fair or appropriate to discuss in this forum.

To make it clear, I want to help. But not in this forum.
Fair enough. I figured that

#1 I would go with the most knowledgeable forum for performance alignments. I don't want an alignment that lets me clear my poorly fitting wheels or that gives me a "sick stance", I want one that performs well.

#2 I tend to prefer alignments that most would consider "track" alignments. So, I would ask the track guys.

#3 The car will be used for the track with this alignment, just not as much as some. I agree it's 99% a street car though.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, but that was my rationale. I've moderated and administrated many forums, so I understand where you're coming from.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Jun 29 2009, 08:57 AM
Just bump front camber up to -1.5. All the other specs will work fine.
Thanks. That makes it very very similar to my alignment on the FD RX-7. Not that I'm surprised
Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by brent_strong,Jun 29 2009, 06:40 AM
Fair enough. I figured that

#1 I would go with the most knowledgeable forum for performance alignments. I don't want an alignment that lets me clear my poorly fitting wheels or that gives me a "sick stance", I want one that performs well.

#2 I tend to prefer alignments that most would consider "track" alignments. So, I would ask the track guys.

#3 The car will be used for the track with this alignment, just not as much as some. I agree it's 99% a street car though.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, but that was my rationale. I've moderated and administrated many forums, so I understand where you're coming from.
I kind of figure like this: Of course the people posting "inappropriate" threads would want them posted here. It's better for them and they'll get the traffic they would like.

But what are you doing to the people who would answer those posts... they may not be so happy with the forum getting "polluted."

How do you feel when a telemarketer calls at dinnertime? It helps the telemarketer, but it doesn't help you.

In the S2000 Talk forum, people try sneaking in off-topic threads to boost their traffic all the time.... "For Sale feelers," "Wheel and tire questions, etc." It's better for them, but the people searching the forum for "S2000 Talk" topics are inconvenienced. When people in the future do the "in forum" search, they may have to wade through more garbage threads.

I understand YOUR rationale for posting it here, but in my personal opinion it's kind of selfish and may irritate some of the people that you're asking for their opinion.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Former Moderator

Oh, BTW. If a thread gets posted in R&C and nobody comments for >24hrs, that's a hint.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM

I didn't think that it would be irritating, but maybe it is. As a moderator though, I assume you're free to move my post to a more appropriate forum, correct?

I think that would be a more appropriate solution than chastising the poster publicly. Everyone misjudges things occasionally. I gave my reasons for coming to the conclusion I did. I also said that I understand your position as a moderator.

Apparently I hit a nerve with you.. It's not like I'm a problem posting that is spamming the boards with stupid questions. If the thread being in here is such an annoyance, please simply move it.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Former Moderator

Listen, man. I don't care. I'm just trying to help you out and let you know perhaps why people are ignoring your thread. If you read through some of the other posts in the forum, we just got through discussing this in a few other threads.

I think I'm done trying to help. I'm going to join the silent crowd here.

Quick Reply: Aggressive street and light track alignment