S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Added Aero and coilovers

Old 09-16-2024, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added Aero and coilovers

I've just added 9 Lives wing and front lip spoiler. I have Tein Mono Sport coilovers on currently. At track event over the weekend, the front end started bouncing like a 78 Lincoln. Both front coilovers are leaking fluid. I suspect the springs are too light and the additional downforce from the new lip spoiler was more than they could handle.

Any advice on front and rear spring rates? Are the Ohlins Road and Track a good option with stiff enough springs? Any experience with the HKS Hypermax R? Need to stay under $2500.
Old 09-16-2024, 05:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

There are many questions I’d ask before giving you any really good advice/answers

What is your current setup (tires/wheels, horsepower, any suspension mods, brakes, ap1/ap2). What are the current springs?
Is this strictly a track only car or dual purpose? If dual purpose, what is your tolerance for street ride quality?
What is your current experience level (DE, race)?
What are your goals (DE, Race)?

In general Ohlins DFV are a decent compromise if set up correctly. I have no experience with HKS.

Last edited by BlueBarchetta; 09-16-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:42 PM

95% track car. This car is mainly HPDE car. I’m an instructor with several organizations. Want to start TT when car is dialed in. SOS stage 1 SC. Dyno next week. Should make 310-320 HP. Running 17x9 square. Either 255-40-17 RE71RS or Pirelli DHH slicks.

Have Miata used for endurance racing.
Old Today, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned the coilovers are leaking, are you saying they are blown?. As mentioned above you need to look at the car more closely to assess the condition of everything and then determine what needs addressing. For example, if the coilovers were not leaking and in good working order, would the car still bounce? Hopefully you can give the car a good look over before resorting to buying springs.
Old Today, 09:04 AM

Both fronts are blown. They're rebuildable but can't have them rebuilt and back before Oct event at Barber.

What's suggested spring rate for the downforce I've added? Any suggestions?
Old Today, 10:25 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I have never been impressed with Tein to be honest. I had their SS-Ps on another car and they did not last long before leaking, so I had them rebuilt by Tein, who claimed all 4 shafts were bent (light daily driving on highways and autox use only) and needed replacing so I let them do it. Not a lot of driving on those and one of them completely blew a seal and dumped its oil one day. Had seen nothing but autox and a bit of daily driving on them since the rebuild. They are now still sitting on my shelf taking up space.

One thing I will mention is that if you are going to go into TT figure out your mods and your mod factors. In NASA TT, a splitter on the front sometimes is just not worth it due to the mod factors.

I cannot speak to the spring you need for that downforce though. I run 750/600 spring rates on mine and run 255 square on tire setup running 200TW tires. I have the APR GTC 200 on mine and it works very well for me. I actually have tried going minimal on the aero as the drag is killer on low power cars like these on the straights. Just he APR set to 0 AoA costs me about 3-4 MPH on some very long flat out sections. At BIR on T1 through T2, a similar S2k with no wing was 3-4 mph faster than me down that section. And that section for an S2000 is pretty much just power/drag limited as it is flat out. The wing though really does stabilize the rear on corners approaching and exceeding 100 mph though. A splitter is going to cost you a bit more too down the straights so keep that in mind and maybe try with and without it. There are sections with my wing that I feel a splitter would help but so far have driven around that to keep from adding more drag to the car.

Also, for track stuff, check out the S2000 Track Talk group on FB. Some pretty knowledgeable folks on there and some with some very extensive builds. You will hear a lot of "that suspension is junk" from some of the big spenders though, but overall it is a great group.

I run dampers you cannot buy new anymore (still rockin rebuilt T Klines which are Koni 8242 DA's lol). My next suspension change will be MCS through Karcepts. But is going to cost you more than $2500. It is still relatively cost effective though for a very good setup. I have autocrossed my car back to back with a friends nearly identical setup with his on MCS. I still really like the way mine drives but the MCS does do a damned good job, especially on bumpier surfaces. I was running about the same times in both cars though.
Old Today, 01:14 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brwafl26
Both fronts are blown. They're rebuildable but can't have them rebuilt and back before Oct event at Barber.

What's suggested spring rate for the downforce I've added? Any suggestions?
I’d echo a relative lack of confidence in Tein.
With aero, that much HP, and slicks, you’re probably gonna want around 750+ front and 700+ rear. The other issue is sway bars. Do you have them? If so you can run a bit less spring, get some compliance, and still be pretty good.
I doubt many, if any, $2500 coils can handle that much spring. Some can be custom valved. I have older AST’s (now Moton) custom valved for higher rates, but not sure if they’re available anymore. My next likely move is to MCS or Ohlins TTx.

keep in mind class points and rules before purchasing anything. But with that HP, aero and slicks, you’re gonna be pretty far up the pointy end of classing.

I’ll give you some resources to call. I have no financial interest in any, hope I don’t get banned. Talk to these people, see what they can do. All are solid.
1. Patrick at Urge. Forum sponsor, good guy, Source for Ohlins
2. Karcepts for MCS
3. ASM Motorsports, they’re in Wisconsin. Fast s2000’s come out of their shop. They have several suspension suppliers.
Old Today, 01:49 PM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

Not many have tein on here.