S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Accusump EPC valve

Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accusump EPC valve

The regulator on my EPC valve failed and needs replacement. The regulator comes in three choices of pressure settings (trigger points): 20-25, 35-40, and 55-60 PSI. I realize that at warm idle our pressure is in the 20-25 range, so Canton would recommend the 20-25 for normal conditions, but for a racecar with running pressures over 75 PSI, should I choose the regulator with the highest setting?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:25 AM

So after talking to Canton I ordered the high pressure setting since it's for surge protection only, not pre-oiling.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I think so. Remember at the last Laguna event your accusump was ticking? It was making odd sounds then when you had gas in the oil. You should also do a couple of flushes to get any of that crap out if you already haven't.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 AM

That race valve was added as a 2nd option to the standard electrical valve.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Asura,May 9 2006, 12:31 PM
That race valve was added as a 2nd option to the standard electrical valve.
Yes. Ry should get one for his accusump . They sell the retro-fit kit (which is what they are sending me to fix mine).
Old 05-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what is it for?

as I said at BW I've never had one, but I also don't have the same accusump as you. I think you have the "high pressure" one.

-Ry
Old 05-09-2006, 04:28 PM

I have the high pressure accusump. I was told by Canton to use the 20-25 valve for track. :\ I thought the higher release made more since, but they insisted I should use the lower one. Confused ....
Old 05-09-2006, 04:31 PM

Richard, was it the accusump unit that sprung a leak or the EPC valve?

I'm using the manual valve - only down side is I sometime forget to turn it on.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 PM

Ry, here is Canton's recommendation for the EPC valve for racing applications: http://www.accusump.com/acc_tech_valve.html

Raymund, it was the regulator on the EPC valve that failed, with oil coming out the top. The regulator is the black cylindrical part with the wires attached. The regulator does not come with the basic electric valve or the manual valve. And you have to remember to switch on the electric valve too unless you wire it to the ignition, but that's probably not good unless you don't mind it dumping the oil (pre-oiling) before starting the engine.

Mike, two guys at Canton also recommended the low pressure valve based on our car's warm idle oil pressure, but when I explained that it is a dedicated racecar, that I don't need pre-oiling, that the running oil pressure is above 75 psi, and that the engine RPM is generally above 5000 RPM, the guy agreed that the high pressure valve is better since it's purpose is surge protection. Canton's literature:
"The Accusump E.P.C Valve is offered at three different pressure settings. Each valve is designed to allow the Accusump to recharge when the engine's pressure is above the pressure setting and to discharge when it is below."
I think in race conditions you want it to discharge before the pressure drops as low as 25 PSI. In street use where the pressure is often low under normal driving/cruising conditions, the high-pressure one would be dumping oil unnecessarily.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:51 PM

Yes, that makes complete sense. ARG! ... and sadly I just bought and replaced a leaking low pressure valve. Given how I drive, I'm probably just fine with the valve I have.

Isn't anyone coming out to Utah this year for the new Miller Motorsports track? I'm the only S2000 signed up for the upcoming NASA event.

Quick Reply: Accusump EPC valve