S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

5/6 point harness... suggestions? installation?

Old 05-06-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5/6 point harness... suggestions? installation?

I'm considering either a 5 or 6 point harness so I can go to AROSC driving schools. I've been told 5 and 6 point have basically the same effect except that a 6 point is generally more comfortable. Anything else I should know?

What make/model do you y'all recommend. I'm looking to keep this on a budget, so I don't want a cheap harness, but I also don't need some Japanese imported belts just so I can have Takata written on the straps or anything like that.

Most importantly: any tips/pictures for installation? How much welding will be necessary.

I would like to use aftermarket seats, but unless I win the lottery, that doesn't look to be in the cards any time soon, so this will need to work with the stock seats and still allow me to use the stock 3-pt belt for street driving.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:39 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rev, a few years ago I took a very hard hit in a Miata on the street and I was wearing a 4pt harness. I was mighty glad I was until the investigating officer asked me if I knew they we not DOT legal. When I replied that I did his comment was, "I wish more people would wear them."

They are a pain on the street because they limit your movement to such a degree. You have to remember to shut the door before you buckle up or you've got a problem. I'm running the Simpson Platinum Series 6pt. Belts in my racecar. See them here. They're not cheap by any means and make sure you don't get the formula car belts. Whatever brand you buy it's worth a little extra to get the Cam Lock and make sure your sub strap(s) buckle into the cam. The formula car belts don't. I personally prefer the 6 pt. over the 5pt. because you can offset it enough to keep your jewels from being squeezed to much. I've had my nuts busted bad enough that I limped for a day even with the six pt.

I can't help you with the S2000 mounting since I never had them in my car. It you need a list of on line race supply shops let me know and I'll copy my "Favorites list" for you.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:11 PM
jzr

As has been mentioned before, 4,5,or 6 point harnesses are a bad idea without additional rollover protection. Unless you're a midget and/or decapitation is really how you want to go. The idea is that in a rollover the shoulder belts are going to force you to stay upright, your helmet likely being the first thing to make contact with the ground as the car rolls. Helmet luge ends quickly, followed by the spillage of precious gray matter...

Also, the stock seats aren't ideal for a multi-point belt setup (no good crotch solution), and a proper race seat isn't ideal for use with the stock 3-point belts (too much slack). Driving around in a race seat with 5pt. belts, the inability to lean forward makes the usually-manageable blind spot(s) a big pain in the butt. For me anyway.

Good luck dude!
Old 05-06-2003, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Reverend, I've got a Blue Schroth Profi Harness I'm not using. Harnesses don't get any better than Schroth (check out subesports.com for pics). I paid over 250 for the 4 pt. harness...the sub strap can be purchased for under 20 bucks.

I've got all the hardware for the install and can help recommend attachment points. As JZR said, though, it's safer to roll over with the stock belt (I'm running a Bitterbar).

PM me if you want more info.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:26 PM

AROSC requires either a 5 or 6 point harness for their events. I have a friend who is very active with them and trying to get me out to their events. I agree that the stock belts are safer in case of a roll (especially for someone like me at 6'2") and tried to argue that point, but they're not willing to budge on this. They're willing to let me by on stock roll hoops.

I've ridden in a miata with 5-point harnesses and found them EXTREMELY uncomfortable for the "kids"... I thought I was gunna cough up a testicle every time the car slowed down.

Anyway, I don't intend to use them on the street - maybe just for mountain drives...

Those simpson platinum belts look REALLY nice, how much do they go for?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:59 AM
CG

Originally posted by The Reverend

Those simpson platinum belts look REALLY nice, how much do they go for?
The guy I bought the racecar from had just odered them and they weren't even in the car when I picked it up. He said he paid right around $300 for them. I think I've seen them on the web for $250 to $265.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The very best (and most expensive) harness on the market is the JetPilot by TeamTech: http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/racingh...s/jetpilot.html They make the Simpson harnesses look like amateur stuff in comarison.

It uses a unique leg strap design, much like the harness for a jet pilot. This provides far better antisubmarine protection than the conventional crotch straps, as well as much less risk of damage to the crown jewels. The system also has a support for the lower back and padding everywhere, which makes it the most comfortable system on the market as well.

I highly recommend that you look into it.

You might also consider the Corbeau A4 touring/racing seats, which are very comfortable if your waist is 34" or less, have a custom seat rail for the S2000 as well as slots for the shoulder harness, and are a very good buy ($340 each).
Old 05-09-2003, 08:33 PM
CG

I would love to see and try those Indy Car belts. When I'm all suited up there's no way I can buckle my own belts in my Swift. While those look like they would be harder to use in "that" car they might be easier.