S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2400 lbs +/- with cage and sc?

Old 08-10-2014, 02:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep you live and learn in life! At least my lessons learned are keeping me from modify in my m3! That said I'm happy I built a pretty awesome car, but yea moving forward it will be prebuilt and probably not doing any fi conversions.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But wait, you're going to put a cage in it? You're fooling yourself if you're ever going to street it. Especially if it lives on a trailer and has slicks on it. It's just not going to happen. Once you put the cage in it, you're never going to pick it over the M3 to drive on the street.

A Touring club race car is pretty darn streetable except for the cage.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^6
I agree.
Mine has only roll bar/seats harnesses/susp mods and I wouldn't want to drive it farther than the gas station at the local tracks. Since it is unregistered I put the jugs in the back of the PU and don't even do that!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:27 AM

Never said I was driving on street those days are loooong over!

Have to say though I saw a stock one parked yesterday and thought man how nice would it be to have a stock one to take out!

That said next car will be some sort of classic roadster in British racing green . Not sure about you guys but the more I get into racing the less into modern performance cars I become.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 614 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
Never said I was driving on street those days are loooong over!

Have to say though I saw a stock one parked yesterday and thought man how nice would it be to have a stock one to take out!

That said next car will be some sort of classic roadster in British racing green . Not sure about you guys but the more I get into racing the less into modern performance cars I become.
I think he got confused with my keeping my s2k a streetable car.

Anyway, I'm with you on the the less modern sports cars. I was moving my sister out of her house into one 0.5 miles away, and there was a TR6 parked on the sidewalk.... in British racing green. LOL!

My dream car goal is to get into an 85-89 Carrera... I know everything about it from suspension geometry, torsion bars, etc. etc. is ancient and archaic, but I still want one anyway. I have no interest in any of the modern performance cars coming out. They're stupid fast and have all sorts of crazy creature comforts at the same time, but I don't care for them
Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 AM

I'd love an old 911!

A few months ago I was saying I'd keep car on street but that changed quickly! Of course with cage forget about it!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My SCCA EP car is 2240 pounds with a couple of gallons of gas and without me (SCCA minimum weight is 2450). This weight has been verified on my race scales and SCCA scales at post-race impound. It has an SCCA low front hoop cage. No windshield, no stock dashboard, no HVAC system, minimal wiring, CF trunk lid, 12-gallon ATL aluminum fuel cell, FRP front fenders, FRP rear bumper cover (which is heavier than the stock one and will be changed soon), minimal exhaust (around 92-94 dBA), doors gutted, no rear bumper beam, gutted steering rack, no parking brake stuff, no emissions stuff, etc

Other places that i could save weight include a lighter battery (currently using an Odyssey pc680), a more expensive lighter fuel cell, remove front bumper beam, and maybe a CF hood.

I removed most of the undercoating and that took about 15 pounds off - I collected it in a bag as i took it off to see what all my work netted me. It is slow tedious work.

I cut off as many bolts, studs and unused brackets as I could reach.

If I go lighter I will need to add weight, but at least it can be added in places where it would help balance the car. If my son races the car in EP we have to add weight, since he is about 40 pounds lighter than me.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by s2000sccaracer
My SCCA EP car is 2240 pounds with a couple of gallons of gas and without me (SCCA minimum weight is 2450). This weight has been verified on my race scales and SCCA scales at post-race impound. It has an SCCA low front hoop cage. No windshield, no stock dashboard, no HVAC system, minimal wiring, CF trunk lid, 12-gallon ATL aluminum fuel cell, FRP front fenders, FRP rear bumper cover (which is heavier than the stock one and will be changed soon), minimal exhaust (around 92-94 dBA), doors gutted, no rear bumper beam, gutted steering rack, no parking brake stuff, no emissions stuff, etc

Other places that i could save weight include a lighter battery (currently using an Odyssey pc680), a more expensive lighter fuel cell, remove front bumper beam, and maybe a CF hood.

I removed most of the undercoating and that took about 15 pounds off - I collected it in a bag as i took it off to see what all my work netted me. It is slow tedious work.

I cut off as many bolts, studs and unused brackets as I could reach.

If I go lighter I will need to add weight, but at least it can be added in places where it would help balance the car. If my son races the car in EP we have to add weight, since he is about 40 pounds lighter than me.
I've been hoping to meet you and your son at the track and see the car but our paths haven't crossed yet. I assume the db limit in exhaust is for LRP, would love to know what you did to make a light but effective exhaust. I'm guessing like a 2 1/4" pipe to single muffler of sorts?

It was mentioned above that the cf hood weighs more as an FYI

Man 2240lbs is nuts!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

lol well if you chop off the windshield you probably free up some serious weight
Old 08-10-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
lol well if you chop off the windshield you probably free up some serious weight
Toss of between barriatric surgery and that....hmmm

Quick Reply: 2400 lbs +/- with cage and sc?