S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2015 NASA TT Setup

Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ndogg
Originally Posted by DTP525' timestamp='1421906474' post='23477209
I'm running TTC/TTB/TT3 this year. My TTC setup is a TTC* reclass at 2760/230whp.

5 shock/spring
4 wing
3 tires
Sounds like you got a better deal than patinum. Hope u guys aren't in the same region lol.
Seems odd to me that you have a 12:1 ratio whereas I have a 12.5:1. Are these numbers from Greg this year?
Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feb 2014. Don't you have a CR though?
Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 AM

Sent in my request yesterday for a reclass. Hopefully the CR badge doesn't screw me over as I asked for 225hp with TTC* or TTC** for my base class. I am okay with keeping the ** as long as I can get some points back from engine mods. Car is at 35 points at the moment and getting 4 back from engine mods would let me upgrade the aero front and rear for TTB.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by DTP525
Feb 2014. Don't you have a CR though?
Sold the CR and have been running a MY06 for the past few seasons.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:56 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by No.Division
Sent in my request yesterday for a reclass. Hopefully the CR badge doesn't screw me over as I asked for 225hp with TTC* or TTC** for my base class. I am okay with keeping the ** as long as I can get some points back from engine mods. Car is at 35 points at the moment and getting 4 back from engine mods would let me upgrade the aero front and rear for TTB.
When I had my CR I considered classing my car as an AP2 and taking points for the differences. The kicker is the CR front lip is a ton of points since it's considered an air dam (+3), splitter (+3), and canards (+2). But if you classify your car as an AP2, remove the splitter and rear chassis brace, you only take points for the wing, spring/shocks, and sway bars. An upgraded wing, spring, and shocks seems obvious. The sway bars you could go to regular ap2. I would have done this but decided to get my 06 instead since the CR was worth a lot more.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by patinum
When I had my CR I considered classing my car as an AP2 and taking points for the differences. The kicker is the CR front lip is a ton of points since it's considered an air dam (+3), splitter (+3), and canards (+2). But if you classify your car as an AP2, remove the splitter and rear chassis brace, you only take points for the wing, spring/shocks, and sway bars. An upgraded wing, spring, and shocks seems obvious. The sway bars you could go to regular ap2. I would have done this but decided to get my 06 instead since the CR was worth a lot more.
Interesting, might have to consider this as an option and a good one at that. What bothered me is that I am taking a 14 point hit and then taking points again for shocks, springs, wing, etc when all that gets upgraded. Going to throw numbers around and see how that plays out. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by No.Division
Interesting, might have to consider this as an option and a good one at that. What bothered me is that I am taking a 14 point hit and then taking points again for shocks, springs, wing, etc when all that gets upgraded. Going to throw numbers around and see how that plays out. Thanks!
You'll have to clear with Greg though. The old rules (I think 2012 or 2013) used to go into very specific detail. I specifically remember it gave an example of someone with a mustang GT updating their car to a Cobra and taking the points for the Cobra instead. Also gave an example of the reverse. The current version of the rules doesn't get into specifics. Only relevant section I could find was:

"Updating or backdating (without a points assessment) with specialty models or between two cars
that have model names with different numbers or letters in them is prohibited, unless specifically
approved by the National TT Director. The purpose of this rule is to equalize similar cars in the
same (or lower) class, not to allow the creation of vehicles that were never manufactured or
homologated. Motors and engine parts cannot be swapped under the update/backdate rule
without specific approval by the National TT Director. "

Edit: Found my thread from 2010: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....=35879&start=0
Since then the CR quicker steering rack looks like a 0 points mod.
"12) Steering rack replacement or modification (without geometry change unless taking points for
E.18). Rack ratio change is permitted. Change from BTM power steering to manual, and/or
modification of the power steering pump requires the point assessment for engine pulley
in C.10)."

Edit again. Found the old language from old version of the rules. At the end of the day though, you'll have to clear it with greg.

In the event that a specialty or upgraded version of a vehicle, that is individually listed in 6.3.2
Base Classifications, has had so many of it’s “specialty” parts replaced or modified that a points
assessment results in a situation where a hypothetical lower base classed “standard” model can
be upgraded to be identical to it, but end up in a lower competition class, the specialty or
upgraded version vehicle may be granted a waiver to “jump down” to the standard model’s base
class. Then, it must be assessed points for all of its features that differ from the standard model.
This will also require a specific evaluation and approval by the National TT Director. For
example, a ’96 Mustang Cobra has a TTC base class. The owner replaces every part on the car
that distinguishes it from the Mustang GT, except for the wing and sway bars (valued at +5
total). After adding up all of the modification points, the car is now in TTA for competition.
However, a theoretical ’96 Mustang GT (TTE*) has the exact same modifications as our ’96
Cobra, making the two vehicles identical except for the wing and swaybars, but it ends up in
TTB with 8 points to spare before it would jump up to TTA. To ensure fairness for the Cobra
owner (who was essentially getting assessed twice for many of its specialty parts), we allow the
Cobra to jump down to the GT’s base class, and after adding up all of its modification points, it
ends up in TTB with 3 points to spare before it would jump up to TTA—i.e. parity between the
two cars.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Patinum- 12.5 to 12.1 is a big difference. I wonder if Greg based it on knowing that my ending class would be TTB?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, thats a great TTC* classing, Dysen.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 AM

Yeah, looking at it now, it is a strong reclass for TTC. Too bad my goal this year is to win in TTB.

I actually ran this reclass for Nat's last year for TTB. Kinda foolish in retrospect.

On a side note, I feel good about my TTB setup this year. I'm at 11.0 ratio and the car feels peppy!