S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2015 NASA TT Setup

Old 04-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by patinum
All my wheels are 17x9. Super easy to find in S2000 friendly sizes/offests. Especially since it's the standard for SCCA STR class. Wouldn't mind going to a 17x9.5 though. I think RPF1's come in 17x9.5 +38...which seems a bit too low (offset).
I wouldn't mind going up to a 17x9.5 as well, but I don't think those 17x9.5 +38s will fit under OEM fenders without some serious work.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 614 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Originally Posted by patinum' timestamp='1428086822' post='23565648
All my wheels are 17x9. Super easy to find in S2000 friendly sizes/offests. Especially since it's the standard for SCCA STR class. Wouldn't mind going to a 17x9.5 though. I think RPF1's come in 17x9.5 +38...which seems a bit too low (offset).
I wouldn't mind going up to a 17x9.5 as well, but I don't think those 17x9.5 +38s will fit under OEM fenders without some serious work.
Wheels below are Enkei NT-03+M 17x9.5 +44 on stock fenders with 255 square RS3. They'll clear a BBK too (he's also running the StopTech BBK ST-40 328x28)

Originally Posted by ddess
Pictures courtesy of Julio George.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Wheels below are Enkei NT-03+M 17x9.5 +44 on stock fenders with 255 square RS3. They'll clear a BBK too (he's also running the StopTech BBK ST-40 328x28)
Now we are talking. So hawt. I have always wanted a set of NT03Ms.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So to report back after the first event, I was not impressed with the pace of the Maxxis RC-1 (235/40-17) when compared to last year's Hoosier R6 (245/40-17). Yes, I'm comparing a wider (though on the same rim), lower treadwear tire to a skinnier, higher wear one. However, even with a lighter car I wasn't able to get to my Hoosier-shod times from last year.

I wasn't too far off. For reference, my best times were about 1:11.0 this year vs 1:10.5 last year. However, the big difference was the inconsistency. I found the Maxxis tires to be very sensitive to temperatures and pressures. If I didn't quickly drop the pressures when the sun came out, I found myself running 1:13s every lap instead (though maybe partially from lack of grip and partially from loss of confidence). Compared to the Hoosiers, where I felt like if you were at least close on pressures, you had a shot at a good lap. And even if you weren't close, you were probably still only loosing half a second.

That all said, I still won the class both days and the contingency paid out: the whole reason I wanted to try the Maxxis RC-1s. We had 4 in class on Saturday and 3 on Sunday so I got one tire both days. In fact, the contingency is so good I could have even finished 2nd both days and still gone home with 2 tires. So I guess I made the right choice!? Still frustrating to go slower.

I suppose one nice thing is the RC-1s did seem to allow me to stay out longer. Over the course of a session they only got slightly slower, where I felt like the R6s only had a handful of usable laps per session. Obviously no comment on the long term pace of the RC-1s yet. I definetly thought the Hoosiers were gold for the first event, significantly slower on the second weekend, and pretty much trash after that. Hopefully that is one deficiency the RC-1s can address.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline
So to report back after the first event, I was not impressed with the pace of the Maxxis RC-1 (235/40-17) when compared to last year's Hoosier R6 (245/40-17). Yes, I'm comparing a wider (though on the same rim), lower treadwear tire to a skinnier, higher wear one. However, even with a lighter car I wasn't able to get to my Hoosier-shod times from last year.

I wasn't too far off. For reference, my best times were about 1:11.0 this year vs 1:10.5 last year. However, the big difference was the inconsistency. I found the Maxxis tires to be very sensitive to temperatures and pressures. If I didn't quickly drop the pressures when the sun came out, I found myself running 1:13s every lap instead (though maybe partially from lack of grip and partially from loss of confidence). Compared to the Hoosiers, where I felt like if you were at least close on pressures, you had a shot at a good lap. And even if you weren't close, you were probably still only loosing half a second.

That all said, I still won the class both days and the contingency paid out: the whole reason I wanted to try the Maxxis RC-1s. We had 4 in class on Saturday and 3 on Sunday so I got one tire both days. In fact, the contingency is so good I could have even finished 2nd both days and still gone home with 2 tires. So I guess I made the right choice!? Still frustrating to go slower.

I suppose one nice thing is the RC-1s did seem to allow me to stay out longer. Over the course of a session they only got slightly slower, where I felt like the R6s only had a handful of usable laps per session. Obviously no comment on the long term pace of the RC-1s yet. I definetly thought the Hoosiers were gold for the first event, significantly slower on the second weekend, and pretty much trash after that. Hopefully that is one deficiency the RC-1s can address.
Interesting. I hear a lot about how good the RC-1's wear. Are they streetable? I know back in the day people used to drive RA1's to the track. Maybe if I win enough free ones it won't matter.

As it is now, I'm running R7s (non-sticker) at Autobahn - depending on the how many of us there are.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 AM

They have have Hoosier-style tread lines, if that's what you mean by streetable. So sure...right up until it rains!

I don't think I'll be making Autobahn, so we won't be able to answer the question on how much faster the R7 is than the RC-1! I think that's actually the ideal setup for my car, though. This weekend I was running the 235 RC-1 with a TTC* reclass and a competition weight I couldn't get down to, but could run a 245 R7 with a TTC reclass and a competition weight right around empty in the gas tank.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:50 PM

The R7 should be at least 1 to 2secs faster than an RC1 on a typical 2min course. The wear factor on the R7 is awesome. I ran over 20 heat cycles on my 245 R7s and they were still putting down fast laps past their 15th heat cycle. I was .2secs off a TT3 track record running in TTB trim in Jan this year and the tires were past their 20th heat cycle.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:31 AM

That's helpful to hear. 15 heat cycles still isn't quite two full TT weekends, but it is more than the 1 the R6s were still fast for. May be worth keeping the RC-1 for track days or contingency at low turnout TT events, but mounting a set of R7 for going fast.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 AM

The 255/4017 RC1 is really fast as a sticker tire though. I remembered it having Hoosier type grip when I first tried them out. 3rd and 4th heat cycles were quite a bit slower than their 1st and 2nd cycles, then they're pretty consistent after that in terms of grip.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Not that I think I'm doing it anytime soon, but what's the deal with aftermarket fenders? Are we allowed wider ones? I can't accurately place any of the rules to the fenders. There are aero rules for front and rear bumpers, and doors but not aftermarket fenders. There are body rules for rolling and flaring (0pt) and tubbing (illegal). There are engine rules for fender air inlets and outlets. Just can't find anything that says we can or can't add the ever-popular 30mm wider OEM shaped fenders.

Also, got my finalized dyno reclass from greg TTC*, 217hp, 2715lbs