S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2012 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Rules

Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, I just wanted to get some feedback...

Do you think that the Voltex 1S is under-penalized? Do you think that the 1S is a more effective wing than the APR GTC-200?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont see how we could come to any conclusion that the 1s is better (or worse) than the 200.
We do know that the 200 is more than capable. Plus, it would suck if we changed things after the fact....Ive been trying to make a move on a 1S.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio
Also, I just wanted to get some feedback...

Do you think that the Voltex 1S is under-penalized? Do you think that the 1S is a more effective wing than the APR GTC-200?
I was told the dimensions are similar to the GTC-200, but since it's supposedly a more efficient design, someone will have to do actual testing to prove that it is faster. Otherwise, the points should be left alone. It'll start going crazy like sizing of the endplates might be worth more points or Voltex Type 3 or GTC-500 should be a Level 4 wing. The 3 level system is good enough for what we all compete in.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

No, I am not asking to adjust the points for this year, just asking for any data people might have. I do expect that the 1S is a better wing, as it looks more efficient, sits higher, and bigger (in terms of surface area). I thought that it should be 1.5 points for this year, but was outvoted by committee. The rules will stay as-is, though it may change next year depending on what we find this year.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio
Are Federals really that bad? They are my daily driver tires, and I've used them as warmup tires at BW and CVR. I thought they were decent, almost as good as Dunlop Star Specs.
the RSRs seem to have gone thru some compound changes, at least for the 2011 production batch
both Albert and I encountered dramatic increase in lap time with 2011 production dates
Doug had a ride in my car at CVR and my mod car was more unstable than his stock car on RS3s
plus the way they melt looks very different from the 2010 production batch that another BMW was running when I was at BW
I have yet to contact Federal for an answer but that is what I'm suspecting with the information I have
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM

Can we establish a minimum weight for the stock class to help out us larger drivers
Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by yonson
Can we establish a minimum weight for the stock class to help out us larger drivers
I think there is. I believe stock competitors can't remove anything except the spare tire and tools.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 PM

That's not a minimum weight though...

when you have a 300lb guy racing a 150lb guy in the same weight car, that's a bit of an advantage... add in a rollbar etc and it can add up...
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That's not a minimum weight though...

when you have a 300lb guy racing a 150lb guy in the same weight car, that's a bit of an advantage... add in a rollbar etc and it can add up...
Agreed. But being a big guy too we can't add weight to other guys to even it out. The weight difference between each model years varies as well. As long as we have rules to limit what people can remove it will be close. When we weighed in my car stock with me was a tick under 3000 lbs.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 AM

when you have a 300lb guy racing a 150lb guy in the same weight car, that's a bit of an advantage
Hello. I'm the little rascal that got a 2:07.3 in stock class. I will first respond with my funny ideas.
1) What if a female joins the challenge. Are you gonna force her to stand on a scale in front of everyone?
2) If you bring your wife / girlfriend / attractive daughter to a challenge event, I'll be obliged to carry her as ballast for my timed sessions.

If weight is a concern to you, the only fair thing to do is to find legal ways to lighten your car. You can't force everyone else in your class to bring 150 pounds of ballast to buttonwillow. Last year a bucket seat was allowed in all classes, but re-reading the new rules for stock class there's the clause "no aftermarket lightweight parts." I know drivers over 6 feet tall need lower seat rails / aftermarket seat just to fit in an s2k comfortably, but the above clause does seem to outlaw this.
Aftermarket exhaust still fits within 0.5 points. Here's a clip of a dude who chopped off his mufflers and welded on one straight pipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXYGzb1Dzdk

Quick Reply: 2012 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Rules