S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2011 S2K Challenge #1 - Buttonwillow - 1/30

Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2011 S2K Challenge #1 - Buttonwillow - 1/30

S2K Challenge Event #1 – Race Summary
Article by VitaRenovatio

In usual fashion, the first S2K Challenge Event was held at Buttonwillow Raceway Park on January 30. The 2011 Season Opener saw a number of changes: After much discussion, the rules were further revised to equal the playing field. An Advisory Board was developed to keep improving the Series. Modified Class was split into two separate classes, resulting four separate classes: Stock, Street, Modified-S and Modified-R. A Novice Program was created to help accommodate newcomers to the Series.

The result: 29 S2000 drivers participated to test their driving and tuning talent in what is arguably the fiercest S2000 time trial competition in the world: the Speed Ventures S2K Challenge!

To make things a bit more interesting, Mother Nature decided to add another element into the mix: rain. Drivers were greeted to heavy fog in the early morning and as the sun began to rise, temperatures barely rose past 40° F. The fresh track was still very wet with several puddles scattered throughout the track, and several drivers were taken by surprise by how slippery the conditions were. Laptimes were more than 30 seconds slower than the usual dry pace. And if one came with racing slicks thinking he was going to set the fastest laptime of the day—well, he was just S.O.L.

As the sessions progressed, a dry line began to form! The second Red Group session (Red 2) saw a fairly dry track. Unfortunately, because the gridding was done by laptimes from the previous wet session, many drivers had to cut through heavy traffic to find their rightful place in the pack. In the end, drivers still managed to put down some respectable laptimes—only a few seconds off their dry pace. Black 2 was next, eager to play in an even drier track. But as drivers began to file out from the pits, the sky opened up once again, undoing everyone’s hard work. The Green Group drivers, many of whom were strong podium contenders, became green with envy and cursed the sky.

Perhaps the rain gods heard them, as it stopped raining during the end of the third sessions, and Red Group drivers were now tasked with mop-up duty. Black 4 saw a dryer track, and in Green 4, the sun peaked out from behind the clouds providing some much needed heat to the track surface. Mother Nature gifted the Green Group drivers with the fastest track condition of the day, and many drivers set their best laptimes during this session. As Green 4 pulled off the track, it began to rain yet again. Ultimately, it was Blue Group that got the short end of the stick this time, as none of their sessions saw any dry track whatsoever.

In Modified-R Class, Mark Sundberg had to wrestle with his car shod with slick RA-1’s to turn a 2:11.207 for Third Place. Kevin Lui managed a 2:09.297 to grab Seceond Place. It was Alex Peng who set the fastest laptime amongst all S2KC drivers with a 2:01.453 for First Place.

In Modified-S Class, Si Tang came in Third Place with a 2:03.127. Mike Tsay could not get his rear TEIN SRC coilovers rebuilt in time after his bumpsteer kit failure, and had to compete in a Frankenstein combination: TEIN SRC front, KW V3 rear. He still managed a 2:02.108 for Second Place. Daryl Cha clearly did his homework, as he came shod with fresh Advan Neova AD08 and not only took First Place with a 2:01.676, ran more than 6 seconds a lap faster than everyone else in the wet!

Street Class missed some of its veteran warriors this event: Filip Craciun and Ben Rigaud. Nonetheless, competition was just as stiff. Konstantin Nikiforov, a Red Group driver, jumped on the opportunity to drive in Green 4, and clocked an impressive 2:05.243 for Third Place. Albert Gavieres, 2010’s Stock Class Champion, with barely any seat time in his new Street Class setup, proved his talent with a 2:04.496 for Second Place. Nam Yoon, the 2010 Street Class Champion, continued to defend his title with a 2:02.354 for First Place.

The competition in Stock Class was just as impressive, as new drivers showed their worth and experience with amazing laptimes considering the conditions. Travis Wong clocked a 2:13.416 for Third Place. Jonathan Gih barely edged in with a 2:12.810 for Second Place. Douglas Chan set an impressive Stock Class time of 2:08.727 for First Place.

In the end, the first S2K Challenge Event played out like any other race. Drivers needed the perfect combination of driving talent, car preparation, and sheer luck to earn their step on the podium.

The next S2KC Event will take place on February 26, 2011 at the Auto Club Speedway Roval. See you all there!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings from Australia!

Who won Street Class????
Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nam, as expected. 2:02
Old 01-31-2011, 01:43 AM

did Ben go? who else did Nam beat?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyx3pCHKGY [/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMcCxy2lQQ [/media]
Lots of rain time for skid practice
Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 AM

Not bad for my first time out. I wish I got a point by from one of the Miata guys, I'm sure I could probably run a faster time than a 2:16. Either way, great times nonetheless.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM

Yeah, the track was a little pack. With the rain coming and going made it hard to set fast lap.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 AM

^ Nice meeting you yesterday Si

-John ( I had the GPW with the CR lip and spoon fenders)
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 AM

Same here, you got a really nice looking car. Looks really fast also.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM

It was my first time on track with any significant rain. It was a little bit nerve racking, but fun at the same time! However, it did complicate the competition a little.

With the intermittent rain, you were really just hoping to get one session of dry track so you could put down a fast lap. And even when it came, you probably had some traffic since the pre-grid was based off the previous session's wet times.

If you were in Red or Black groups, you got some early luck with fairly good conditions in session 2. Most fast times were set in those sessions. But if you were in Green, like me, all you could do at the time was bitch and moan at the weather gods for most of the day. It seems they heard our complaints and gifted us with a very good 4th session.

Once I got around the traffic I got a couple decent laps in. I set a personal best of 2:04.5, enough for 2nd place in Street class. I definitely need more time with the new setup in dry conditions.

Anyway, despite the rain, it was a great event. It was good to see a lot of new competitors as well as the regulars. Oh and I hope everybody made it back okay. Grape vine in the rain just sucks.

Here is video of my second fastest lap (2:04.98). My card ran out of memory at the start of my fast lap.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GOU-jaozrI[/media]

Quick Reply: 2011 S2K Challenge #1 - Buttonwillow - 1/30