S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2011 National Tour - "Street Tire" Classes

Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 National Tour - "Street Tire" Classes

Great news for those of us who want to run against some national competition in BS on street tires.

Copied from SCCAForums...

I invite other Event Chairs/Committees to host National Tour "Street Tire" Classes. All it takes is an email to Nancy downing (ndowning@scca.com) to authorize the classes. As for the classes themselves, I hope each region will either by copy Milwaukee Regions class format, or my 2 class format found below. I also hope you will post your events/classes in this thread, to let these competitors know when/where these classes will be available:

March 18-20 Houston National Tour, Royal Purple Raceway, Baytown, TX

There will be TWO classes, using the 2011 RTP/PAX from SCCA Chicago Region's Rick Ruth to determine each competitor's place in each class:

Tire Stock (TS) - this class uses the 2011 SCCA Solo Stock Class rules, with the Street Touring tire rules (UTQG 140+, production numbers, molding depth, etc).

Tire Street Prepared (TSP) - this class is open to all cars prepared beyond Stock class rules, using the Street Touring tire rules. Specifically, this class is for any competitor whose car doesn't fall within the Street Touring rules and/or would otherwise fall into any Street Prepared, Street Modified, Prepared, or Modified. This class will also capture the large and active Suby/EVO tuning community to give those folks that turned the boost up on their street car a place to compete. Again, the tire rules are found in with the Street Touring tire rules (UTQG 140+, production numbers, molding depth, etc).

Registering: Competitors interested in registering for these classes will register in AM (A-Mod) via the SCCA National Tour Registration. At the end of the registration form, competitors will fill in the "Note to Registrar" field that they are competing in "TS" or "TSP." Also we ask that they fill in their open class for Timing and Scoring purposes. For Example: TS - CS or TSP - BSP or TSP - SMF. There are not "Ladies" version of these classes.

Trophies: The National Office will be providing the trophies for these classes. We are working on something extra to encourage our regional Street Tire competitors to attend as well as those from across the country.

Contingency: These classes are NOT eligible for SCCA administered contingency, but stay tuned for more information.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the thread:

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/forumid/1...791/scope/posts
Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be in support if there wasn't already street tire classes for many of the stock eligible cars. Adding tires with less grip will further separate the various cars in each class based a cars ability to apply power with less grip (example Z06 vs Elise). What then? Reorganize the classes? My thoughts are with more classes, there will be less participation in the existing classes. With the addition of STR to the ST classes, the participation in B-Stock fell. That said, I'm still in support of STR and wish it to be a Nationally recognized class in its current form. If this new proposal goes through, I believe you will see less class participation across the board. We already have many classes with minimal participants.

Just my .02 and future prediction so take no offense if you support this.

-Marc
Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc, I think the ultimate plan is not to add a duplicate set of Stock-prep classes on street tires, but to gauge interest in such classes to see if Stock could someday switch over to street tires and gain (or at least not lose) competitors.

And yes, I think everyone realizes that cars will have to be shuffled around to different classes if that happens.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthonormal,Jan 14 2011, 09:18 PM
Marc, I think the ultimate plan is not to add a duplicate set of Stock-prep classes on street tires, but to gauge interest in such classes to see if Stock could someday switch over to street tires and gain (or at least not lose) competitors.

And yes, I think everyone realizes that cars will have to be shuffled around to different classes if that happens.
Just my .02 and future prediction so take no offense if you support this.
Sorry man

Just trying to add to the conversation. There was a variety of suggestions in the link posted and references to how other regions are doing this. As a member of a club that has been doing this for years, this is my take on the topic and experience from running this.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 AM

And I was just letting people know what I think is going on. No offense taken -- not sure why you thought I might be offended. I simply have a different point of view.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 AM

It looks like Solotime/SPS is offering contingency prizes for these classes at Tours, if the organizers contact SPS in advance.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 PM

Well it's looking like Dixie isn't down with this for 2011...
http://dixiescca.proboards.com/index.cgi?b...read=209&page=3
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 AM

But check out their reasoning for not offering the class -- they expect to get too many entries, and the street tire classes would make the problem worse!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 AM

I'm in support of more particiapation in Tours, just don't want to see BS dilluted.