S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2008 CR A-Street build

Old 11-14-2014, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn
I'm not trying to take sides here, but I have to say, that I for one would not care AT ALL about Josh's fender situation. As long as he runs the AS legal wheels and tires, there is no performance benefit at all. IMO the rules are meant to be in spirit of fair competition and I for one believe that comfort and convenience would apply because there is no performance benefit.
I wouldn't care in the least either if I was running A-Street, as it doesn't really help anything. Kinda like the stupid FIPK discussions before nationals, it's all stupid semantics.
But we all know how this sport is, and there will always be "that guy" that could protest.

It would be curious to see how a protest would end up. If it was my car, I would argue no performance advantage just as Josh currently is. But if I was the protestor, I would argue it isn't within the spirit of the rules, that the rule book states that if its not explicitly allowed, you can't do it, and that it would give the appearance of an advantage.
It would also open a slippery slope in Street. Just my opinion, as a whiny autocrosser
Old 11-14-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperASR
Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn' timestamp='1415973731' post='23405068
I'm not trying to take sides here, but I have to say, that I for one would not care AT ALL about Josh's fender situation. As long as he runs the AS legal wheels and tires, there is no performance benefit at all. IMO the rules are meant to be in spirit of fair competition and I for one believe that comfort and convenience would apply because there is no performance benefit.
I wouldn't care in the least either if I was running A-Street, as it doesn't really help anything. Kinda like the stupid FIPK discussions before nationals, it's all stupid semantics.
But we all know how this sport is, and there will always be "that guy" that could protest.

It would be curious to see how a protest would end up. If it was my car, I would argue no performance advantage just as Josh currently is. But if I was the protestor, I would argue it isn't within the spirit of the rules, that the rule book states that if its not explicitly allowed, you can't do it, and that it would give the appearance of an advantage.
It would also open a slippery slope in Street. Just my opinion, as a whiny autocrosser
Old 11-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

bring on the vettes!
Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
MCS shock weight ???

I'll come back edit this for the weight savings of the front bar and aftermart shocks if theres any.
The MCS shocks are going to be neglibly different than your JRZs. same design. a little lighter without the dry breaks.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't protest, but I believe it is "technically" illegal since it is spelled out and following the ruling on a similar issue with Petschauer's GT3 in SS for "self clearancing" the fenders. As I explained to Josh, having been on the receiving end of the threats of protests (some goofy others semi relevant) on many occasions, I just did everything I could to be legal by going to the boards (like this thread) for comment, calling the SCCA for clarification, and disclosing to my competitors (like Steven mentioned) ahead of time any areas that may be of concern. I followed the rules 100% except in BSP. When I disagreed with the clarification in BSP, I simply left the class instead of running illegal. If I win, it will be and has always been 100% legal and within the rules. No way would I be proud of any accomplishments if I had a deep dark secret or knowledge of cheating whether others knew or not... it's just not my style. I realize some other big names in the sport wouldn't think twice about cheating, big or small. This is unfortunate and a problem in nearly every hobby/sport I have been a parts of. There is also the widely known rumor that a weenie protest in the s2k community will result in random physical violence from a unknown source!

I'm faster in a C5Z in AS trim than I am in a CR just from my limited seat time. Others may have the ability to do more with the CR, but I feel my style suits the Z06. As a result, I recommended the C5Z in A-Street to Josh and anyone else who asks over the CR. Also, our area has lots of of other options specifically tailored for domestics, particularly Corvette/LS powered cars and there are many more events for these cars than available through the SCCA. The choice of the C5Z is really a no brainier when these 2 cars have to be compared or decided between. That said, I would still buy back my old CR over a C5Z in a heartbeat if it was available!

A defense for Josh ... he really is a nice guy despite making a bunch of enemies off the bat, a bit of a braggart from time to time, but a very hard worker in many areas. Like him or not, he's got lots of raw talent as a driver. Josh, as you have been made aware, you just need to calm down sometimes buddy! We cant keep defending you from online outbursts. I rip on him locally for it though and also have one of those "hard to understand" personalities ... Im just older with less energy! If only we were born without vocal chords and sometimes had the keyboard taken away! Oh well, here's to making the most from here forward!

-Marc
Old 11-22-2014, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
My front fenders have the tabs that have been rolled up to for STR. I could just bend them back down and press the tabs back in the liner. The liner is unchanged, it just gets tucked above the bent up tabs to hold it in place.

Honestly though, who would and how could anyone possibly protest that? There's no preformace advantage or gain I'm getting from my front liner tucked above the fender tabs vs clipped in below them?
don't know you from a hole in the wall, but if you came to the table with a car that had a clearly not legal mod, and had the attitude that "it doesn't matter", i would protest you just for that reason. from my standpoint, what else do you have done to the car that "doesn't matter"?

from scca's viewpoint, no illegal car shall finish in front of a legal car. so, if you run AS, might as well spend the "10 minutes" you say to fix it, rather then risk a protest, no matter how weenie you think it is.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the comments Marc.

Rodney, I get it but I myself wouldn't care if someone in my class had bent fender tabs as long as they had the appropriate wheels and tires on the car. IF I decide to spend the money and prep the car I'll fix the front fender tabs and bend them back down.

Right now my focus is to make money and work on prepping my bike for some track days this coming season. We'll see in March if I run the CR in AS. Ideally I rather just sell it.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:52 PM

Comfort and convenience for snow tire clearance?