S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2008 CR A-Street build

Old 11-13-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easily fixed by bending down the tabs and grabbing a hand full of clips out of my cousins box at honda. Granted as I went back and said above I could argue creature comfort of being able to fit other wheels outside of autox with zero preformace advantage and it wouldn't be protestable.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:21 AM

The fender edge is unchanged, which is also a STR rule

The back hasn't been touched

The front is like this, no change to the small edge just half of the tabs are bent to 45 degrees up vs being straight. The fender liner is tucked above the tab instead of below it (holly hell I raised the center of gravity of the car now via a 2mm higher fender liner, I'm at a disadvantage!! Oo noo!) i think only 3 of the 5-6 tabs have even touched, I'd have to go outside and look.

I can easily bend down the labs and put clips in but I'd stick with the creature comforts rule as my argument of how it's legal if I ever got protested. That may go Down for the dumbest protest in SCCA history though! It wouldn't stick.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RyanDavies
In before he misspells "weenie" again.
You came close, so I'll give you that one.

Originally Posted by josh7owens
I can easily bend down the labs and put clips in but I'd stick with the creature comforts rule as my argument of how it's legal if I ever got protested. That may go Down for the dumbest protest in SCCA history though! It wouldn't stick.
It wouldn't matter if you fixed it in impound, that kinda defeats the point of impound. You would be disqualified.
And yea, it would stick. If the rule book doesn't state you can do it, you can't do it. Is it a bit of a stupid protest, maybe, I can't say I would protest it. But it is something that could be protested, and we all have to play by the same rules.

I believe Marc P put all new fender liners and clips in his CR before he won his national championship because people were threatening to protest over the 275 Hoosiers self-clearanceing the fenders. The CR I drove in RTR at nationals kept the little Dorito hardtop covers in the trunk just in case someone wanted to protest it.

I have a tiny splitter on my front lip to keep it from getting beat up on the street. When I ran my car at the Atlanta Match Tour, I just talked to everyone in STR before the event and asked if they cared, and no one did. We all shook hands and didn't worry about it. I placed top 10 in PAX on Sunday, no one said anything, but still, it could have been protested. Illegal is illegal, you would be pissed if a competitor had a cheater car.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:57 AM

Well in A-Street I'll be on a 235 or 245 front tire not a 275. I can see how a 275 would bring issue because the other cars couldn't fit it without rubbing. The stock wheels and 235/245 doesn't even come close to not fitting.

Maybe I should just bring come clips with me and tell everyone in the class. If they have a problem with it I can bend them back down and put clips in.

We have a comfort and convenience rule for a reason, this should fall under that due to no preformace advantage and me wanting the ability of bigger wheels outside of the autox world.

If someone had there fender tabs bent up and running stock sized or legal wheels I wouldn't even think about it.

Please explain how that would be considered "cheater" where's the advantage? Shit like this is reason I hate dealing with people that autox. So petty.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:59 AM

A front splitter is 100% more of a issue than bent fender tabs that aren't even needed for clearance.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But maybe that's because some people can't accept there getting beat by someone better than them.
Is this where you post about your local PAX wins? Edit: Damn, you already had, I owe someone $1

I don't think you would win the protest based on how the comfort and convienice rule is written. It would have been more comfortable for me to add a supercharger to the BRZ I drove last year for street use (the car has no power). Whats the difference?

I was trying to be nice, just point out what I would do if I was campaigning the car at national-level events. The BRZ I drove and the STR car I'm probably doing a few events in next year will be 100% legal.

A front splitter is 100% more of a issue than bent fender tabs that aren't even needed for clearance.
Sigh, I'm done with the internets today.

Shit like this is reason I hate dealing with people that autox. So petty.
Don't you autocross?
I hope you never run Spec Miata.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM

This difference is a supercharger adds power to the car and a bent fender tab severs no purpose because the stock wheels and tires fit on the car with or without it being bent.

I made a phone call, I'll simply pull out the heat gun and bend the 3 tabs per side back down and put in the clips. That's kinda silly that someone would try to protest that but f@#k it, it only takes 10 mins to fix.

Yes I autox, not as much as I used to. Last year I did 14 events, the year before I did 34. Local pax results, yea I make it to 2 national tours a year, that's the only results I have. Good thing 10-15 of our locals all run nationals.

From what I hear everyone in spec miata cheats but I don't run spec miata.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM

Shit like this is reason I hate dealing with people that autox. So petty.
Ironically, this quote applies 100% to your "dumb protest that shouldn't ever happen and if it did Id probably just laugh at the stupid f@#k" idealogy. If it takes 10 min to fix, then have some respect for the rules and your fellow competitors and fix the problem instead of acting like you should be exempted from them.

Sounds like a dumb protest that shouldn't ever happen and if it did Id probably just laugh at the stupid f@#k that can't come to realization he's simply not as fast as me.
I think the CR can be competitive in AS. Better drivers than I have run times close to or faster than the Corvettes in the class, both locally and nationally. Local guy is selling off some BSR/AS wheels if you need them.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:02 AM

I'm not trying to take sides here, but I have to say, that I for one would not care AT ALL about Josh's fender situation. As long as he runs the AS legal wheels and tires, there is no performance benefit at all. IMO the rules are meant to be in spirit of fair competition and I for one believe that comfort and convenience would apply because there is no performance benefit.

Anyway,

Josh the competitiveness thing of the CR vs Vettes has been hashed out alot. You're not beating a C5 Z06 on "power" courses, driver for driver. On speed maintenance courses you have a better chance. It's up to you whether you want to accept/deal with that.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn
I'm not trying to take sides here, but I have to say, that I for one would not care AT ALL about Josh's fender situation. As long as he runs the AS legal wheels and tires, there is no performance benefit at all. IMO the rules are meant to be in spirit of fair competition and I for one believe that comfort and convenience would apply because there is no performance benefit. Hence I feel I could argue comfort and convenience and not risk chipping my paint trying to bend them back.

Anyway,

Josh the competitiveness thing of the CR vs Vettes has been hashed out alot. You're not beating a C5 Z06 on "power" courses, driver for driver. On speed maintenance courses you have a better chance. It's up to you whether you want to accept/deal with that.
Thanks man, that's how I feel about it too. I'm glad someone besides me has the same thinking, I was thinking to myself, "am I crazy and irrational or am I missing something that other people see I dont". I'll bend back down my front fender tabs and snap back in the tabs if I end up going this route. I just didn't see the preformace gain if I'm running the same wheels that everyone else is also or even stock wheels.

As for sticking to the topic... I'm debating it. I talked to Marc last night on the phone for a bit and he's still wanting me to go C5z. If I sell my car in March/April I'll move to a Different car, if not I'll just keep it and continue this thread.

Quick Reply: 2008 CR A-Street build