S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2008 CR A-Street build

Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 CR A-Street build

Since I haven't had any real bites on my CR, I'm debating keeping it and doing whats listed below. Input is welcome!

As many of you know I've ran STR for the last 4 years. I felt that with the talent pool in STR I'm not going to do better than a 2-6th place trophy. I also needed to free up some funds and wanted to go back to stock class prep so it's easier to move cars if I every choose to. The investment of stock class prep is way less than top tier ST builds.

I know we all agree the c5z is the car to have in stock class but frankly unless I get some more seat time in it I'm unable to be anywhere near as agressive as I can be in a stock class CR. Back when Tim still owned Jeds white AS CR I could jump in that car and drive 10/10ths and feel confident in what I can and can't do with the car. The C5z is a blast but wants to bite you quickly if I get sloppy.

Heres a video from a AS C5z I drove a few weekends ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CBYiK6mJd4

To keep the investment low until I work some overtime and have some extra money that I'm not putting into my track bike build I'll start with:

Stock wheels (may buy O.Z. Alleggerita HLT to save a couple LBS)
Stock shocks (may buy koni yellows or tc-klines, not going highend unless I'm lossing tours by sub .2 seconds)
Karcepts swaybar (probably on setting 3 or 4 depending on balance)
235-245F/255R RS3 v2 tires
Unsure of exhaust, something light!

alignment:
Front toe: 0
front camber: maxed (1.7-1.9)
Rear toe: 1/16th in total or 0
Rear camber: matched for the front

Do you guys think I have a chance or should I still sell it and just move to a BS S2000 setup and pocket some money?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:49 PM

O.Z. Alleggerita HLT front wheels 14.6 lbs
O.Z. Alleggerita HLT front wheels 15.6 lbs
J's racing 60r 7 lbs

total: 67.4

stock front wheels 19.2 lbs
stock rear wheels 21.40 lbs
stock exhaust 54 lbs

total: 135.2

weight savings 67.8

Other item weights worth talking about

OEM Front Bar 10.35
OEM Front Shocks 9.60
OEM Rear Shocks 10.80
TTX Front shocks 7.68 lbs (Lightest shocks I know of)
TTX Rear shocks 7.53 lbs
T1R 70-EM ti version 14 lbs

Still neeed:

Karcepts bar weight ???
koni yellow shock weight ???
koni tc-kline shock weight ???
MCS shock weight ???

I'll come back edit this for the weight savings of the front bar and aftermart shocks if theres any.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:29 AM

Karcepts bar with all bracketry and endlinks is 14.5.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I probably should get a lighter exhaust lol.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the story with your fenders? If they are rolled you will need to figure out how to get that fixed, probably at a body shop. Same deal with getting fender liners fixed, etc. If you think you will be out winning trophies at tours, that stuff won't fly.

I think the CR would be a fun A-Street car, and you are already out the purchase price of it, so why not keep it and play with it for a bit.
Only thing I would change is going to a Dunlop Z2*. The RS3 works really well in ST trim, or on larger wheels like the 370z has, but if I was pinching a 245 on a 7" wheel I would do the Dunlop. Most of the BRZ guys had better success, even at lincoln with the Dunlop.

I've been seriously tempted to pick up another S for B-Street or A-Street. The classes should be big fun next year, and I really enjoyed running C-Street this year in a BRZ.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
TTX Front shocks 7.68 lbs (Lightest shocks I know of)
TTX Rear shocks 7.53 lbs
Those weights must be with springs & top hats?

Penske front = 4.55 lb each
Penske rear = 3.76 lb each
Old 11-13-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by ViperASR
What is the story with your fenders? If they are rolled you will need to figure out how to get that fixed, probably at a body shop. Same deal with getting fender liners fixed, etc. If you think you will be out winning trophies at tours, that stuff won't fly.

I think the CR would be a fun A-Street car, and you are already out the purchase price of it, so why not keep it and play with it for a bit.
Only thing I would change is going to a Dunlop Z2*. The RS3 works really well in ST trim, or on larger wheels like the 370z has, but if I was pinching a 245 on a 7" wheel I would do the Dunlop. Most of the BRZ guys had better success, even at lincoln with the Dunlop.

I've been seriously tempted to pick up another S for B-Street or A-Street. The classes should be big fun next year, and I really enjoyed running C-Street this year in a BRZ.
This.

In before he misspells "weenie" again.

Steven, no reason when you have an awesome car to drive at Dixie and Nats .
Old 11-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

would that really be protested? Can one argue that even if the fenders were rolled for a street class car it is not providing an advantage in any way.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ViperASR
What is the story with your fenders? If they are rolled you will need to figure out how to get that fixed, probably at a body shop. Same deal with getting fender liners fixed, etc. If you think you will be out winning trophies at tours, that stuff won't fly
My front fenders have the tabs that have been rolled up to for STR. I could just bend them back down and press the tabs back in the liner. The liner is unchanged, it just gets tucked above the bent up tabs to hold it in place.

Honestly though, who would and how could anyone possibly protest that? If I'm running a wheel that half of the other people are running or hell even stock how can I get protested? There's no preformace advantage or gain I'm getting from my front liner tucked above the fender tabs vs clipped in below them?

It's not like Id be running wider offset wheels than anyone else because that's not legal anyways via the wheel rules.

Sounds like a dumb protest that shouldn't ever happen and if it did Id probably just laugh at the stupid f@#k that can't come to realization he's simply not as fast as me. We have some locals that have the same realization problems. It's rather funny. We have a local that insists I my STR car couldn't of been legal because I've constantly won local pax by over a second. Then I come to a tour and pax 25% back atleast. I'm really not even that good just 96% of the locals are way off pace and far from "national level". I just don't see it being a issue due to the fact that using the widest offset wheels that you can legally run they still fit on the car with zero issue. I would simply laugh at theres stupidity and argue "no preformace advantage" or "creature comfort" (for fitting other wheels outside of autox)
Old 11-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Stupid protest? Yes. But your car is technically illegal. It doesn't much matter whether it's an advantage or not, illegal == illegal.

Quick Reply: 2008 CR A-Street build