S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2006 OTC

Old 02-08-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the phrase you are looking for is "One Lap Of America".
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OLA w/ far more track time and far less driving.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OLA guys spend what? 20 minutes a day on track? **** that.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not saying it appeals to me. But it clearly does meet most of the criteria being discussed here, and on a bigger scale: street-prepped cars going from track to track and competing with limited support and limited tire allowances.

I also think that if One Lap (with national-level sponsors) doesn't get any media attention, you are crazy to think that a CA regional series will. But I've been wrong before.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cthree: Too many rules, yo!

"The idea of OTC was take your normal car and go compete but that was totally unrealistic. It would be like taking an AS car and trying to go against an ASP car in auto-x. You could but why?"

--Well, know Jack Olsen won and though his car is obviously well prepped, it's still what I'd consider a "normal" HPDE type car...driven to and from events, etc.

As for AS & ASP...Well, for one I don't know what an AS vs. ASP car is. But part of the allure for me--and I suspect most S2000 guys on this board--involves outdriving cars we're not supposed to be able to beat. Certain limitations would be in place to kind of keep things semi-equal (no Competition Vipers or GT3 Rolex cars), but I always saw part of a competition as being driver vs. driver and part of the competition involved who was willing to go how far w/their 'daily driver' to compete. If someone wants to rip out their interior and take their bumpers out....well they deserve more of an advantage if they're willing to do that. Guys that don't have that type of commitment are going to take a ding in lap times....and that's fair to me. I would want to make sure that a checkbook wouldn't rule the event, but keeping things low-profile tends to keep guys like that out anyways.

"I would fully support a realistic plan and try to help get sponsors and promote it through the s2ki site and membership base. I'd even send out a mass emailing to inform people of the event."

--Excellent!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Feb 8 2006, 01:18 PM
I think the phrase you are looking for is "One Lap Of America".
Only if Bitterman is driving
Old 02-08-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxrev,Feb 8 2006, 07:10 PM
No OTC for 2006!

I think events need media coverage to get any decent sponsorships.

How about team S2000 25hr T-Hill entry?
I'm down for the 25hr. After seeing the carnage, though...umm...can we use your car for the event?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D,
I'll make sure your car keeps running
Old 02-08-2006, 01:42 PM

Was hoping you'd see this thread and comment, Jack.

"I think the OTC concept works best when it sees itself as something other than a poor man's mini season of club racing, or a venue for guys who (for whatever reason) are taking off a season of club racing, or just built a car to test for club racing, or whatever. I think it's at its best when it's targetting guys who don't want to give up the idea of a car you can drive to the track, race, and then drive back home -- or a car you can modify in a way that makes sense to you instead of conforming to the rules of some jackass committee from some jackass club."

Perfectly stated. You've obviously put a lot more thought into this than I have and were able to crystallize exactly what my yet intentions were in starting this thread. I want to race--but the closer I get to the possibility of competing (I'm still a ways off), the more unappealing NASA and SCCA are. Way too many rules that are supposed to even things out but only make it incredibly unfair (the Irony!). The absence of a 2" thick rulebook and the relative easy-of-entry is exactly what appealed to me about the OTC to begin with.

'if you knew the rules, you'd know how good this guy is' world of club and SCCA events.

Exactly.

My ideas of teams was more to promote positive rivalry and overall interest in competition beyond just the individual participants (I imagine a post on the Vette Forum describing an S2000 team was looking for a Vette team to compete against would garner a HELL of a lot of interest!). Muhuhuhahaaa. We wouldn't have an absence of entrants, that's for sure.

Point taken about Fall.

Now if there are going to be classes, what would be the definitions and how many classes would there be? I can't think of any simple and fair way to do this for all makes/models who'd be interested in participating...I mean, look at how many rules there are for JUST the S2000 SV challenge!

Asura: Hey, I thought you said "NEVER AGAIN" after your last 25hr stint!?!?!? Well I'd definitely take you up on that, for sure. I'll even bring the ephedra!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the other hand, look at how simple the rules are for the SV Time Attack! classes. http://speedventures.com/timeattackclassification.asp

Quick Reply: 2006 OTC