S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Yet another exhaust thread...

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another exhaust thread...

So, read through most of the exhaust threads and stickies here and narrowed it down to something like the q300 or the Skunk2, nothing like invidia's N1 (cant be too loud, but must be louder than stock).

What matters most to me is how it sounds in low rpms - the rich deep note of the exhaust rather than the screams at WOT or up there in the 7-9k rpms. Considering this car is my DD and i live in the city (lots of stop signs and red lights) and that i barely cruise at highway speeds (no drone care factor) i want the best sounding exhaust for exactly how i use the car.

Any input guys?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are gentle on the accelerator pedal, either one will sound good at low rpms. Do you still have the stock CAT? If so, either one will sound great. I have the Q300 and remember it was definitely deep and nice when I had the stock CAT. I have a matching 70mm Invidia TP and it can get raspy at times if I hit the gas pedal hard (usually between 3.5k-5k).

Think about what mods you are planning after the exhaust to help narrow it down some more.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are stuck on either of those probably the q300. With that said, I love my Mugen.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
If you are gentle on the accelerator pedal, either one will sound good at low rpms. Do you still have the stock CAT? If so, either one will sound great. I have the Q300 and remember it was definitely deep and nice when I had the stock CAT. I have a matching 70mm Invidia TP and it can get raspy at times if I hit the gas pedal hard (usually between 3.5k-5k).

Think about what mods you are planning after the exhaust to help narrow it down some more.
I was planning intake, headers, exhaust as the only performance mods for this car and have the first two done already, now its just the exhaust. Test pipe is probably not a good idea where i live...

Originally Posted by Kermdaddy
If you are stuck on either of those probably the q300. With that said, I love my Mugen.

Mugen is out of my price range gotta keep it below the 1k mark
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kayzee
Originally Posted by Reckon' timestamp='1331130160' post='21485179

I was planning intake, headers, exhaust as the only performance mods for this car and have the first two done already, now its just the exhaust. Test pipe is probably not a good idea where i live...

Originally Posted by Kermdaddy

Look for a used mugen. If you buy the Skunk2 you will regret it because of the sheer noise the thing makes... Its one of the loudest doubles out there and is very "rice boy" sounding. Your car will sound like a civic instead of refined and smooth. Only drawback with the mugen is that the pipe diameter is the same as OEM. One of the smoothest sounding 70mm doubles out there is the Greddy SE, and is louder than stock but not insane loud like the Skunk. Look into buying a used exhaust thats been taken care of, buying new really isn't worth it.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:45 AM

I have the Remus dual exhaust....Sounds perfect IMO.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 320 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayzee
That last several Mugen duals have sold for $900 shipped on these very forums. There is absolutely no better sounding exhaust for these cars than the Mugen. You don't get a ton of performance from the Mugen exhaust but the sound more than makes up for it.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 AM

skunk will be loud
q300 is okay but when you get on it, it's loud, louder than my 3" HKS
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM

I think they are both loud, I have a 70mm HFC & a T1R 70r EM. Its a livable loud when you get on it.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Build your own - most of the exhausts on the market are made from cheap steal and what must be flammable cotton for packing. If you could buy corsa's mufflers I would say go that route.

I currently have a skunk2 header, test pipe and custom mandrel bent 2.5 inch exhaust with a 18 inch offset offset magnaflow muffler and it burbles especially after I got it tuned. It is loud as hell at full throttle but pretty quiet all the rest.

Next weekend I am possibly replacing it with another custom made part with a 3 inch tubing with a spun cell cat, 14inch bullet pre muffler and 14 inch offset in center out magnaflow can. My current one and my next one will both be rustoleum bbq flat black coated to reduce unwanted visibility. I am only redoing it because I am going to be testing a stroker motor for awhile and then I will likely go back to the 2.5 setup.