S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

A weird story happened to me again

Old 06-07-2009, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A weird story happened to me again

So after my sad experience about the minimal power gain i got over my "costly parts" and the expensive AEM EMS tuning, i decided to go from J's 60RS to 70RS to pick up some more power. my butt dyno telling me YES it feels faster at mid range but i'm not sure. i also ask around and found out i should get a 70mm test pipe instead of my 63mm so i did so. i went to a dyno shop to prove if the 70RS and 70 test pipe help. the 70RS HAD BEEN INSTALLED before i went to dyno today. so the MAIN THING im talking about is the test pipe.

i dynoed a base run before i put the 70 test pipe on (J's intake, T1R header (65mm collector), 63mm TP, 70RS)
and then i got 211whp and 147tq (corrected). it was almost identical as the 60RS i had before.....the dyno runs at the same dyno system (dynojet) but different shops and time. so i started to have a bad feel about the test pipe.

then we put the 70 TP on and dyno again. now we were all shocked. the peak power loses about 0.5 (210.5) but there were 4whp and 4tq lost between 5k and 6k rpm. and overall the curve is sightly lower than the base run (63 TP), i say about 0.5-1 whp and tq.

i talked to the people at shop and we couldn't find out the answer because it just doesn't any sense to me nor you guys i think. im totally lost and depressed by what i recently did and spent on my car just feel like i throw $$ to get power lost.

so 65-63-70 makes more power than 65-70-70. RIDICULOUS! can anyone explain this to me? again i will post up my dyno
Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 AM

That just seems odd to me...I'm putting my 70mm test pipe on today. I'm tempted to get a dyno done sometime this week if I can just to see where my numbers would compare with yours. My mods would be a berk 70mm test pipe, 70mm invidia single with a stock header/intake. What kinds of dyno was this done on again? I cant remember.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn tsoshi, you are having zero luck with this NA build dude

hang in there bro. im rooting for ya
Old 06-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's really baffling. But you should always do your tuning on the exact same dyno as the baseline. Even though it is the same brand of dyno, the calibration is going to be different.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM

any chance of exhaust leak? you prob need to stick to one dyno and stay there. maybe get a re tune with another reputable shop for a second opinion of some sort. id lose the header.

NA has never been about gaining the most top end. its about evening up the power band. our car has enough top end power. we need low end torque.

if i were you.. i do go back to stock.. dyno.. then go piece by piece. a lot of dyno time but if this is what your worried about then its worth it.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stick to the same dyno. but i would never have the time to go back stock and dyno piece by piece, unless own the shop with a dyno.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by superpirate,Jun 7 2009, 05:57 AM
That just seems odd to me...I'm putting my 70mm test pipe on today. I'm tempted to get a dyno done sometime this week if I can just to see where my numbers would compare with yours. My mods would be a berk 70mm test pipe, 70mm invidia single with a stock header/intake. What kinds of dyno was this done on again? I cant remember.
i did it on dynojet, i mentioned it
Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jun 7 2009, 09:59 AM
That's really baffling. But you should always do your tuning on the exact same dyno as the baseline. Even though it is the same brand of dyno, the calibration is going to be different.
so im not comparing the 60RS and 70RS this time. i'm talking about the 63 and 70TP which i did dyno both at the same day and same dyno. so i dont think i need to go back to where i originally did the dyno because i'm not comparing the first time dyno
Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by the s2k dude,Jun 7 2009, 11:23 AM
any chance of exhaust leak? you prob need to stick to one dyno and stay there. maybe get a re tune with another reputable shop for a second opinion of some sort. id lose the header.

NA has never been about gaining the most top end. its about evening up the power band. our car has enough top end power. we need low end torque.

if i were you.. i do go back to stock.. dyno.. then go piece by piece. a lot of dyno time but if this is what your worried about then its worth it.
to go back to stock and dyno piece by piece probably takes me another 1k to do it.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Damn....out engines are just so well built; if N/A is the way you wanna go. Then get some loud ass ITB's...

Quick Reply: A weird story happened to me again