S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Walbro 255 w/ Stock ECU

Old 09-30-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Walbro 255 w/ Stock ECU

My car had a greddy turbo kit on it previously. Too lazy to swap out the 255 walbro fuel pump when i went back to stock. Would having the fuel pump cause any adverse effect on my motor?
Old 09-30-2015, 02:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

No not at all.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
No not at all.
Have you seen any data that shows the stock FPR isn't big enough to bypass enough fuel to not change fuel pressure with a 255lph?

Or is that just your opinion?

Also, OP, you are aware there are two very different styles of fuel systems for an S2000 right? So shouldn't you specify which one you have a question about?
Old 10-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by shind3
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1443652756' post='23762569
No not at all.
Have you seen any data that shows the stock FPR isn't big enough to bypass enough fuel to not change fuel pressure with a 255lph?

Also, OP, you are aware there are two very different styles of fuel systems for an S2000 right? So shouldn't you specify which one you have a question about?
The question was, "Would having the fuel pump cause any adverse effect on my motor?" Not whether or not fuel pressure may increase. Either way is safe and therefore moot, because a higher then stock fuel pressure will have no adverse effects on the engine. Closed loop will account and regulate any possible added fuel to maintain the engines/ecu targets, and when open loop transitions the engine would simply run richer. Thats my data logging experience. Now, that pertinent element aside, in theory fuel pressure will not increase due to the factory fpr being in place since its a fixed regulation/non adjustable, but instead line pressure would. Either way, no harm, no fowl.

This is based off a MY 00-05
Old 10-02-2015, 12:09 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I have ran a walbro 255 on my stock non boosted s2000 for long periods of time before with no issue at all.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, the stock ECU will still mandate the correct amount of fuel to put into the car. Leave the Walbro in there, you don't need tuning on a fuel system until you start fussing with injectors.

I had my Full Blown 290lph fuel pump in my car for months before getting the car tuned with a turbo. Made absolutely 0 difference.

Edit: Dropped a letter.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgot to mention that I have an MY02. The only thing I didn't like was when I took the car down to Homecoming 3 (6hours), the fuel pump was noisier than usual even with a full tank of gas. Thanks for your guy's answers!
Old 10-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by shind3' timestamp='1443722613' post='23763419
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1443652756' post='23762569']
No not at all.

The question was, "Would having the fuel pump cause any adverse effect on my motor?" Not whether or not fuel pressure may increase. Either way is safe and therefore moot, because a higher then stock fuel pressure will have no adverse effects on the engine. Closed loop will account and regulate any possible added fuel to maintain the engines/ecu targets, and when open loop transitions the engine would simply run richer. Thats my data logging experience. Now, that pertinent element aside, in theory fuel pressure will not increase due to the factory fpr being in place since its a fixed regulation/non adjustable, but instead line pressure would. Either way, no harm, no fowl.

[/quote]
Sure, but if I could get my fuel trims closer to 0 and not have to run richer than I need to at WOT just by changing to a stock fuel pump, I would.

And if the FPR is big enough to bypass the extra flow from a Walbro 255 then yes it will not be change anything except for some warmer fuel. I asked if you knew the FPR was big enough for this to happen without raising fuel pressure especially at idle.

But the 06+ have a different FPR. don't know if it can bypass the same as the earlier ones.

So the answer could've depended on that variable. But the engine itself will fine fine, yes. And I guess that was the question. You win, lol.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by guamie
Forgot to mention that I have an MY02. The only thing I didn't like was when I took the car down to Homecoming 3 (6hours), the fuel pump was noisier than usual even with a full tank of gas. Thanks for your guy's answers!
Walboro 255's are noisy. Other larger aftermarket pumps are not. I run a FB340 (with a stock ecu) its pretty quiet.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by shind3
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1443743836' post='23763779
[quote name='shind3' timestamp='1443722613' post='23763419']
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1443652756' post='23762569']
No not at all.

[/quote]
Sure, but if I could get my fuel trims closer to 0 and not have to run richer than I need to at WOT just by changing to a stock fuel pump, I would.

And if the FPR is big enough to bypass the extra flow from a Walbro 255 then yes it will not be change anything except for some warmer fuel. I asked if you knew the FPR was big enough for this to happen without raising fuel pressure especially at idle.

But the 06+ have a different FPR. don't know if it can bypass the same as the earlier ones.

So the answer could've depended on that variable. But the engine itself will fine fine, yes. And I guess that was the question. You win, lol.
[/quote]

Short and long term fuel trims fluctuate, they are never just at 0 all the time no matter the fuel pressure. However if centering them close as possible is your goal/concern, pick up an adjustable fuel pressure regular and bring it back to balance. Of course this is all on the premise that the fuel pressure has indeed changed with a bigger pump and stock fpr, which I don't recall seeing. Yes, I do win

Quick Reply: Walbro 255 w/ Stock ECU