S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Urgent Exhaust Help Needed!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urgent Exhaust Help Needed!

I bought a skunk2 exhaust, and it got here today, i was all excited and what not, so i go outside, jack up my car, get rolling with taking off the bolts... then oh crap... nothing fits this bolt... 2 hours later ive taken the exhaust AND cat off, because the bolts that connect the cat and the exhaust are literally corroded together... tried penetrating oil, sanding, every kind of wrench known to man... nothing worked...

so i took it up to my handy dandy shop and sawed off the bolts, then grinded them down until the cat broke loose... so i was left with a cat and 3 half sawed bolts... so i figured they would come off easy... nope... ive hammered and oiled all i can possibly do... i cant get them to break loose!!! anyone ever had this problem? were they welded on or something like that? how do i get them off... its going to storm tonight and i gotta get this done so i can put car up... please help!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're pooched for now. The cat has a spring loaded bolt and nut fastener to the header and studs to the exhaust. The studs are welded into the cat flange.

Now you have to get a new cat, replace the studs somehow or drill out holes and McGyver you're own bolt and nut faster for the exhaust side.

edit.
Other option is to get a test pipe or buy a used cat from the guys getting a test pipe.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM

If the studs are welded in (I don't know if they are) I would take it to a muffler shop and see if they could burn out the studs and weld in new ones.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:38 PM

the thing is, my neighbor has an s2000 aswell, and his were not welded... he was helping me... plus the skunk2 came with 5 bolts... 3 for the cat to exhaust, and 2 for the pipe to the duals... and the guide also said to replace bolts with the new ones... now im confused
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The back side of the triangle flange (the one with 3 bolts) is spot welded. You shouldn't try to remove those. That is why they included bolts, because you can't reuse the stock one.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 AM

Ah well, i ordered a berk 70mm high flow cat, that will fit on the berk headers i have im sure, but i wonder about the skunk2 mega power exhaust fitting right?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 AM

I've never had a performance aftermarket part fit without some tweaking. Quality control and reliability is why OEM is OEM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they'd probably be able to drill em back out.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM

yeah i would drill them out and just use your own nuts/bolts. automotive grade of course.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:43 PM

^^ i agree

when i started to put my exhaust on last week i noticed how bad they were. luckily i have access to a lift and i could get a 3ft pipe on a breaker bar and just eased them off. working the nut back and forth to push off the rust.

Quick Reply: Urgent Exhaust Help Needed!