S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Urge / Endyn engine failure

Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
The oil level was not low enough for the pickup tube to become uncovered in addition to lack of G forces don't allow oil to pool anywhere. If being roughly half a quart low on oil caused oil starvation, anyone who tracks would spin bearings regularly with the oil level right up to the top.

I have a friend that intentionally ran his oil level low to prevent it from being sucked up into the intake. He also got low enough to lose VTEC operation once. He came off track, topped it off and went back out. When he came to my local track, he was a tenth or so of the class lap record on his first session out on the track, ever, with 225 R-comps that were heat cycled out. That car saw so much abuse between all the codriving at autoX and track events, it was unreal. He sold it last year to someone else who tracks it still.
Thanks. I was over thinking the very simple statement.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:06 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the responses all.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:20 PM
MB

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1436946966' post='23681004
Balance number is on the first page.

Straightness I didn't note down the measurement but he did check it like any engine builder would.

If it was bent, it was bent during initial build in my view. For it to bend inside the engine and see no external damage to the engine itself or the shipping box really rules that out. Along with theories about going over kerbs being the cause.

I'd also say a bent crank would exibit similar characteristics to an out of balance one, in that you'd have a 1x per rotation out of balance force.

But for the reasons above I am certain the crank itself was not bent or the builder would have said.
He seemed to have a fundamental misunderstanding of 4 cylinder balance. As long as the bobweights are the same (none are needed) a 4-cylinder is in perfect primary balance (the secondary balance isn't that good, which is my most over 2L have balance shafts). Urge pointed that out showing a 4-cylinder crank with counterweights only at the end.

The counterweights are used to minimize stresses and bending within the crank by offsetting each throw individually. It won't show in a balance as the counterweights will offset each other and the rod journal throws will offset each other. Note that an underlying problem with the high RPM and the larger displacement Honda engines is the low or zero overlap of the main and rod journals. It makes the crank weaker and is discussed in some of the 2.4L engine discussions here.

Balance is specified in oz-in or gm-mm left and right. The measurement is just taken at the ends of the crank. "318gm @ 27 degrees" is the correction for a specific (and in this case unspecified) radius where the adjustment is made. Most of the shop balancers will translate that to where hand how deep a whole to drill (bit diameter is specified by the machinist for the width of the counterweights or how much mallory to add. They also have the option of multiple holes. Lots of racing engine builders take the weight off the side of the counterweight rather than drill on the end because of windage concerns; power spent throwing oil around inside the engine is power not going to the rear wheels.

Endyn showed the balance info from a CWT balancer. It showed very, very tight balance, far more than is necessary. CWT has an hour long set of 6 videos on their balancer; this is the link to the first: https://www.youtube....h?v=d9DZzrpjc5Y. Given that they turned it in a lathe rather than drill holes which can be done on the balancing machine, the engine builder (Endyn) must have had a very good sense of how to balance this crank. If you don't agree, try a little static balancing experiment where you add weight by eye.

I wouldn't be surprised if your shop left a weight off one of his bobweights and didn't recheck because he was scrapping the crank.

Dropping reciprocating weight is very important on a high rpm 4 cylinder. The reason is secondary balance. The only ways to affect it are balance shafts, reciprocating weight, and rod and stroke length. Constraints are rules and cost, both initial and ongoing maintenance (really light stuff doesn't last forever). Where the rules involved in the original order requiring a stock crank and rods? I like billet cranks and rods, which really aren't that much more expensive. But even at $10k+, the extra $1000-$1500 for a billet crank and maybe $300-$500 for lightweight rods (over the cost for standard billet rods) maybe out of budget.

The block looked like it had Darton sleeves. Does this engine have a big 90mm bore? I don't think you ever provided bore/stroke, compression, and cam timing info.

Which brings up the next issue: running a 9500rpm engine at 8500rpm loses a lot of power on the track. It can make sense as a tradeoff when the engine has a large displacement (2.4+L) where the trade off also provides a wider powerband and allows less expensive components. However, if the dyno run on the first page is this engine, it seems the head, cam, intake, and exhaust are setup for 9500rpm on that displacement. It held its power peak for 500 rpm through 9000 and at 9500 it still had as much power as it did at 7100. Unless you have very, very close gearing or are running on the high banks of Daytona loosing those rpm will put you into a much lower part of the powerband with a lot less HP.
Running this supposed 9500 engine at 8500 has made no difference to the peak power.

The engine peaked at 8500 rpm and did not perform well after that as it lost VE and dropped 10 bhp. Maybe different cams would have sorted this. I'm not losing any power, but I am dropping into a slightly worse power band, the trade off being that it would actually lose about 10 bhp from 8500 to 9500.

What I do have to credit (as per 1st page) is that it made good power and torque. The builder made some comments on the pistons and rods used, but I wont go into detail there.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:56 PM
MB

Just to update fully, as this has been bumped back up again.

The engine was mapped, and then run in a few months back, oil then drained and clean as a whistle. Filled with full synthetic (same I've always used) and completed a test day at Silverstone, the same circuit the engine went bang on, just for repeatability with no issues. I even rode a few kerbs, just to make sure it didn't blow up

We drained the oil off again just to be sure, and again, clean as a whistle. I then completed a 40 minute qualifying and 40 minute race 2 months ago at Silverstone, then the following weekend I did a 15 minute qualifying and 2x 15 minute races at Rockingham, and another 15 minute qualifying and 2x 15 mins races a couple of weeks ago at Snetterton. Engine has been great and I actually got a very good race result. So that's 3 race weekends and testing.

In terms of power, I had it tested at a different dyno so the results don't compare very well to before, but my mapper actually said it's slightly more efficient than before and has had to add a touch of fuel in places. Impressive with a standard crank instead of the one it had. We also lowered the Rev limit to 8500 as we believe the previously advised 9500 rev limit along with the crank were the reason behind the massive bearing fatigue.

So given it's lasted 10x longer than the previous build, I think (fingers crossed) it's looking like it's been properly assembled this time in terms of the previous failure mode, or it would have failed in the same way by now.

I'm relieved this is behind me for now and fingers crossed it will remain reliable. Of course there's still a chance it may go bang next time I race but I don't think it will be related to this fault. I've sent oil samples to Castrol for checking too and will update.

This has been very expensive, a massive massive hassle (engine removal / re-install / mapping / testing) and I've had to foot the entire bill on top of the engine.

I've always said I do see Urge's stance that they wanted to see the engine, but this should not have failed almost straight away and given the costs involved I'd have been bending over backward to help and cover costs to get it back, and sort the rest out later, instead of being defensive and listing reasons why it could have been my fault. This is why I couldn't send it to them. Not cool when your race season is ended and you have a bag of expensive bolts sat in front of you. Clearly Endyn have not helped, and they built the thing. Their response was appalling and I suspect Urge has been on their case and got a similar response. Doesn't help me though.

Onwards and upwards!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the best news to hear, and it looks like the motor still delivers the goods.

That TORQUE!!!

I guess the old saying goes.....if you want something done right, do it yourself. This is good news to hear and I am happy for you that you are moving on from this catastrophe.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Error 404: Torque not found.

I would love that kind of power out of my S2000 without boost.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If the only thing changed was the crank then the engine would have always hit that power level regardless. Without knowing bore/stroke, cam timing, and components I have no way to know if what you have now could handle 9500. Even a stock crank isn't necessarily the same because of finish machining and treatments such as cryo or nitriding.

However, the cam looked a bit peaky for 8500 rpm (not to mention the tuner let go of the throttle before 8500 rpm. For reference, 8500 is typically used for an otherwise unmodified AP2 in STR autocross classes in the US.

YamahaSHO, there was an article several years back where HyTech (the exhaust/header company) added bolt-ons—header, exhaust, ITB intake, and cam—to an AP2 to get a 50hp increase with a broad power curve: Honda S2000 Tuning - Comprehensive Tuning - Honda Tuning Magazine http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...-s2000-tuning/. I think all the parts would run a bit over $10k.

Some of the improvement was from using a very aggressive ramp on the cams; race cams design is often about how much ramp the valvetrain can handle for the required duty cycle. Most S2000s seem to have no valve spring issues even using the heavy VTEC rocker arm. In this build he used a billet 8620 cam for added stability. You know the valvetrain is stressed when you need to add valve spring oilers.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:59 PM

This post has some interesting info on the HyTech bolt-ons: http://honda-tech.com/honda-s2000-5/.../#post34885355
Old 07-15-2015, 10:56 PM
MB

Just goes to show you don't need to shave an OEM crank then

Tuner didn't let his foot off - that's the limiter set. The RPM can always be slightly off on a dyno depending where you take the rpm.

Yep the torque is nice
Old 07-16-2015, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by MB
Just goes to show you don't need to shave an OEM crank then

Tuner didn't let his foot off - that's the limiter set. The RPM can always be slightly off on a dyno depending where you take the rpm.

Yep the torque is nice
I'm not that familiar with chassis dynos. Engine builders I have dealt with used engine dynos...the chassis was 100s of miles away.

There are lots of dyno issues. For example, what is the rate of rpm gain? On a race track you may race through 3000 rpm in 4-6 seconds. If it takes longer it doesn't show the inertial load in the engine.

It looks like Endyn balanced the crank on the sides of the counterweights. If they lightened it I'm sure they had a reason...they've built quite a few.

Did they post the block (studs on the sides reinforcing the sleeves)?

Quick Reply: Urge / Endyn engine failure