S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Urge / Endyn engine failure

Old 12-04-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by socals
greatly appreciate you posting this and seeing both sides of the story with the vendor response (lack of help) All I can say is I would not tolerate being spoken to or treated this way by a company. Spend 17k for this type of debate and bs when they should have welcomed the opportunity to learn from you and make it right. There shortsighted view of customer service will only cost them multiples over time.

By the way on the nsx c30/32 engine a lot of respected tuners where looking to replace the harmonic balancer with a lighter weight unit to improve performance. After engine failures and asking an nsx design engineer it was learned that in engine testing honda found a resonance at a certain rpm that would result in engine failure. Thus the specifc and heavy balancer. The point is I would not be surprised at all of the modifications they made to the stock crank resulted in both the damage to the bearings and to the multiple instances of cracked intake.

Your new engine looks great beyond words. I hope you have a lot of fun and enjoyment with it
That's probably exactly it. Stuff that doesn't show up under bench testing that will show up in real world use or extended bench tests. Engineering without good testing is a waste of time.

Looks like Urge is no longer involved with Endyn.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:48 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VTEC2000
Looks gorgeous. So clean you could eat off it.
It nearly ended up as a coffee table, and i'm not kidding!

greatly appreciate you posting this and seeing both sides of the story with the vendor response (lack of help) All I can say is I would not tolerate being spoken to or treated this way by a company. Spend 17k for this type of debate and bs when they should have welcomed the opportunity to learn from you and make it right. There shortsighted view of customer service will only cost them multiples over time.

By the way on the nsx c30/32 engine a lot of respected tuners where looking to replace the harmonic balancer with a lighter weight unit to improve performance. After engine failures and asking an nsx design engineer it was learned that in engine testing honda found a resonance at a certain rpm that would result in engine failure. Thus the specifc and heavy balancer. The point is I would not be surprised at all of the modifications they made to the stock crank resulted in both the damage to the bearings and to the multiple instances of cracked intake.

Your new engine looks great beyond words. I hope you have a lot of fun and enjoyment with it
Thanks Socals. I agree. The balancing combined with lack of damping and advised rpm limit are all very likely causes. My engine builder would not fit the fluidamper back on and also was adamant that I must not take it over 8500 rpm. It's been balanced by the company who balance for Rolls Royce and with the OEM damper and lower RPM I think it should be good. I just have the head skim issue to contend with.

He's right in what he says, that 90% of the aftermarket parts he comes across are not as good as OEM. The damper pulley is a pretty key part.

Just as an aside, something someone picked me up on and I should clarify, the enigne bill was north of $17k but I bought it new / unused from the original buyer (Greg) for just over $13k. It was delivered direct to me from the US untouched. Just semantics imo, as the repair bill has taken me well in excess of the new price, but wanted to clarify the cost aspect.

Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1417750069' post='23427420

So I see...
Old 12-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MB, I'm sorry for your loss and glad to see that your #racecar will be back up and running soon. I was really excited for some of Urges upcoming products, but after reading this post I've decided that this is a company that I wouldn't want to deal with. All about that customer service, boss GL with your future builds sir.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dravens08S2k
MB, I'm sorry for your loss and glad to see that your #racecar will be back up and running soon. I was really excited for some of Urges upcoming products, but after reading this post I've decided that this is a company that I wouldn't want to deal with. All about that customer service, boss GL with your future builds sir.

As mentioned above, Urge is no longer affiliated with the company that built this engine. While I had a great experience with Endyn (theyre local to me) and would absolutely go back to them considering they are local and my personal experience with them. I can understand why this would scare people away.

My built engine from them has been awesome.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:14 PM
MB

Good to hear. Is yours an AP1 crank with oem rev limit?
Old 12-05-2014, 07:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MB, can you elaborate as to why your engine builder ditched the Fluidampr?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:52 PM
MB

Originally Posted by Dravens08S2k
MB, I'm sorry for your loss and glad to see that your #racecar will be back up and running soon.
Thanks Draven
Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 PM
MB

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
MB, can you elaborate as to why your engine builder ditched the Fluidampr?
What they said was this this is a component then never touch on a race or any build. They fabrIcate their own custom F and K spec cranks, rods and other parts so it sort of spoke volumes that they wouldn't touch the damper (their Honda knowledge is pretty impressive when you talk to them) The main reason is that you have to think that Honda will have the best analysis of their own engine train harmonics and the damper is very important for reducing these. So it wasn't anything specific about Fluidamper, more they they don't like to touch them and won't warranty an engine with one. There's lots of info which can be used to baffle you with graphs and charts as to how the harmonics are damped with an aftermarket one but I don't think there's much to be gained there for the unknown risk tbh.

In my case, if they had wanted to save rotating mass on the original build, lighter rods could have been used. The ones in there are big bhp turbo spec and are about the weight of OEM... Surprising.

That said, I used a set of Toda pulleys on my last engine and had no issues at all.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toda is a very well respected engine builder. I'd trust their engineering over most anyone but Honda.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 614 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
That's probably exactly it. Stuff that doesn't show up under bench testing that will show up in real world use or extended bench tests. Engineering without good testing is a waste of time.

Interesting...

It looks like they no longer offer any engine build services. All they have now are the ITBs, camshaft, fluid damper, Wheels via CCW, shocks via ohlins, and brakes via AP-racing/essex.

Quick Reply: Urge / Endyn engine failure