S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Urge / Endyn engine failure

Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by SlowTeg' timestamp='1409146281' post='23304030
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1409099987' post='23303362']
As a side note, based on the engine inspector's comments (on the crank and bearings) it seems as if they don't understand the motor at all and probably aren't qualified to make any sort of damage assessment on it.
Are you an engine builder or an internet expert? If you have a good explanation of WHY you think the inspector "doesn't understand the motor at all" I'd love to hear it. Personally I can't stand people who run their mouth without the first clue. I've built a few engines with friends, but I'll be the first to admit that I can't verify whether the inspector's claims are valid or not. They sure SEEM plausible though. Main bearings destroyed like that in such a short period is very strange. I've seen engines with oil starvation spin rod bearings and some wear on main bearings over a LONG period of time, but not 2 hrs.
You sure are angry, and I'm not sure why.

My comments were based off the fact that MB's engine inspector seems to think that Urge sold him an inherently imbalanced motor from the factory, when Urge has documented proof that the engine was in fact exceptionally well balanced.
[/quote]

Sorry but where did you get the document proving that MB's engine in particular was balanced well? The document by Urge was on 7/21/14 therefore I think the document provided was not of this specific engine that failed.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

You sure are angry, and I'm not sure why.

My comments were based off the fact that MB's engine inspector seems to think that Urge sold him an inherently imbalanced motor from the factory, when Urge has documented proof that the engine was in fact exceptionally well balanced.
Forgive me for getting irritated when people don't read and then come in acting like they know it all. Since you were so quick to discredit the inspector, let's hear your assessment.

MB's inspector said: "Total crank balance is 318gmm @ 27 degrees (TDC on cylinder 1 is 0 degrees)." I'm going to assume he put MB's crank on a balancer and got the measurement himself. The degree to which it's "out of balance" I won't try to argue, but since you're the expert maybe you can chime in. Regarding the crank lightening I can't comment either, we just left them stock and micropolished the journals and balanced them. Crank lightening is definitely a point of contention for engine builders I've found.

Another possible problem could've been the bearings themselves? What if they were over/undersized, wouldn't this cause the same problem?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MB

I agree Deepblue.

Mattie, I'm not sure on that. Will check though. I have a digital gauge with warning lights in the car, so I will know if I have surge issues. I'd repeat though that this was not oil starvation.

Thanks again for all the comments.
I think it is a great idea, flashing lights could be missed if in the heat of the moment but full ignition cut can't be missed, its just another level of security for the future engine! I will be doing this with my new built engine.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Krazy89
Sorry but where did you get the document proving that MB's engine in particular was balanced well? The document by Urge was on 7/21/14 therefore I think the document provided was not of this specific engine that failed.
The document posted was for a crank (claimed) to be identical in design to the one in MB's engine. The numbers would therefore be very close and certainly NOT as inherently imbalanced as UK engine inspector is claiming. That one point marks a HUGE difference in the understanding of the design of this motor by the UK inspector.

But we really are splitting hairs about this. I'm not going to get caught in some degenerative online cat fight about a motor that isn't even mine.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 AM

The document posted was for a crank (claimed) to be identical in design to the one in MB's engine.
My friend purchased some "Endyn" valve springs from Larry 13 yrs ago. They were claimed to be good to 11k rpms. Car was ran for a few days and was running like s**t. Car was running Toda C cams. We pulled the valve cover and what did we find? The inner (or was it outter) valve springs BROKE, as in the coils snapped for many of the valve springs (they were dual valve springs). The response he got was basically "tough luck." Claims != reality fyi.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii
but bro, we jump curbs in s2000's all the time w/o popping a motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBoCgEVoH4

I agree that cars do jump curbs all the time without blowing motors, but I suspect most S2000 track cars either have accusumps or they run with an oil level that is somewhat overfilled. When I lost my motor, I did not have it overfilled. I just had it about mid-way between low and high while warm.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by S2Krazy89' timestamp='1409154698' post='23304283

The document posted was for a crank (claimed) to be identical in design to the one in MB's engine. The numbers would therefore be very close and certainly NOT as inherently imbalanced as UK engine inspector is claiming. That one point marks a HUGE difference in the understanding of the design of this motor by the UK inspector.

But we really are splitting hairs about this. I'm not going to get caught in some degenerative online cat fight about a motor that isn't even mine.
Not trying to start a cat fight, but if they're going to post evidence that they did everything right on MB's crank they better post that particular bobweight card.

1. No cost to either party
2. It'll better counter the diagnoses made by MB's inspector

Why not?

As Slowteg says the bearing measurements can come into question as well.

Not directed to anyone just my thoughts.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Krazy89
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1409155311' post='23304305
[quote name='S2Krazy89' timestamp='1409154698' post='23304283']

Not trying to start a cat fight, but if they're going to post evidence that that they did everything right on MB's crank they better post that particular bobweight card.

1. No cost to either party
2. It'll better counter the claims made by MB's inspector

Why not?
[/quote]

I am going to have to agree here. No two engines are identical, though they were made from the same casting and over all branded parts. If they were identical, then every car of the same model with the same engine model would make exact same power on the dyno. Basically I'm giving a round-about explanation of how using the spec card from another, albeit similar, crank is unacceptable in stating that the failed crank was fine when it left the manufacture. If that were acceptable, then there would never be lemons when it comes to new cars.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gernby
Originally Posted by wadzii' timestamp='1409152737' post='23304204
but bro, we jump curbs in s2000's all the time w/o popping a motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBoCgEVoH4

I agree that cars do jump curbs all the time without blowing motors, but I suspect most S2000 track cars either have accusumps or they run with an oil level that is somewhat overfilled. When I lost my motor, I did not have it overfilled. I just had it about mid-way between low and high while warm.

I suspect that you are wrong. I track consistently with 6 other guys with S2ks. No one runs an accusump, no one overfills, everyone repeatedly jumps curbs, and no one has any issues. The notion that jumping a curb (if you can call what he did even that, the curb was damn near flat) can cause this type of engine damage is in my opinion, outrageous. I've never heard of such a thing on this car. The S2k is bar none one of the most reliable track cars you can get for the money, and hopping a small curb isn't going to do ANYTHING to this car. Between just the people I know personally, I'm sure we've got more than 75k track miles alone on the s2000. Including wrecks, curb hopping, countless off road excursions, yet never has a bearing gone from one of these incidents.

It's unbelievably unlikely that your engine failed for hopping a curb. That's just a coincidence, not causation. And just because no one can prove that you hopping that curb, or him going off track briefly is NOT the cause of the failure, doesn't mean there is any evidence of the contrary, that would be a logical fallacy, the burden of proof is on someone to prove that hopping the curb did cause the issue.

For URGE (or anyone) to suggest that him avoiding the accident and going off track is under any circumstance a potential cause for the engine failure is in my mind preposterous. To suggest such is clearly an attempt to divert blame, and that's what everyone here is seeing. We all see it, and we all agree it's ridiculous. This engine didn't go in 30 minute from hopping a curb. I'm not saying it went from a mis balanced crank, but the curb hopping argument has got to go, it's asinine to the Nth degree.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:15 AM

^HappyMint

I'm a relative track newb, and out of the local s2k track guys I know/have met, no one runs an accusump or even a baffled pan (I'd guess about a dozen folks). Track folks are notoriously BAD at checking oil too. I just got a canton pan this year primarily for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Urge / Endyn engine failure