S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

S1800?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a guy like 3 years ago in HondaTuning that had an S2k revving out to 10,500rpms. The shop wouldn't release the specs of the build, but I've read on this site somewhere that people found out what the specs of the build were anyway (don't remember them now). The point is, you don't have to destroke an F20 to rev out to 10,500 ... who did that build now ...
Old 03-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 21337R,Feb 4 2009, 04:39 AM
the F20C is slightly under-square (87x84) and the F22C is slightly over-square (87x90)
Wrong way round that is - The F20C is OVER square and the F22 UNDER square.

Two things amusing me here:

1 - Piston speeds. Why is everyone looking at piston speeds? Do you think piston speeds are going to cause the engine to fail?

No, what you need to be dealing with are the accelerative forces going on. By this I mean the reciprocal transition of the pistons from up to down and vice versa.

These forces are exponential - double the revs, quadrouple the G loading. It is here that your mathematics needs to be done in order to gather the g loading of the de-stroked unit.

2 - Torque. Hands up who has heard of a clever piece of technology called a 'Gearbox'. Cool, that seems to be a few of you then Hands up who knows what a gearbox does? Yep, that is right - it's a TORQUE AMPLIFIER. Power over operating rev range is all that matters (You know, the area under the power curve over the power band revs - 6000 - 8900 in terms of the F20C). By taking advantage of higher RPM, you can LOWER your gear ratios thus creating, you guessed it, more ACTUAL torque, not this number that gets printed on dyno sheets!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=zbrewha863,Mar 13 2009, 10:23 PM] There was a guy like 3 years ago in HondaTuning that had an S2k revving out to 10,500rpms.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bpaspi,Mar 22 2009, 02:00 AM
I have such a configuration. My F20C revs up to 10,500rpms.
Sorry, didn't introduce myself and my S2000 not yet.

My Name is Bernd , living in northern Germany and I have a 99er S2000 and did an Engine Revision in Winter 07/08 because of heavy oil consumption.
I found several problems with the piston rings and the exhaust valve guides. So I decided to make a new Engine Built-Up with new parts.

I have such a configuration:

Carrillo Rods (I-Beam), Woessner Pistons with 13.7:1 compression, fine-balanced crankshaft, lightweight Toda Flywheel (only 3kg), Honda Bearings, sleeved Block with 87.5mm bores, self-modified cylinderhead with modified combustion chambers, Skunk2 Valves, Dual Springs (Skunk2), Titanium Retainers, OEM Camshaft (Skunk2 StageII showed no gains - only more noise), Skunk2 70mm Throttlebody, Oilcooler (and no more OEM water/oil-cooler), Tracy Sports Header and 60mm Ti-Dual Catback, Tracy Sports Oilpan, Hondata K-Pro (self tuned, sorry - no Dyno yet), new Engine Sensors, new Chain Tensioner.

The engine revs up to 10,500 rpm without any problems but due to the OEM camshafts and the old intake manifold very slow after 9,500rpm.
Currently I'm working on a pair of new Camshafts and a new Intake Manifold that I design by myself to have the Power Peak at 9,500 rpm, so the Engine will rev easier over 10,000rpm.

Best regards
Bernd
That is amazing, great job!

As far as cams go, Toda makes some that make power out that far as well, so if your custom grinds don't work, that is an option.

Good luck with making power that far into the rev range!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpaspi,Mar 22 2009, 02:00 AM
I have such a configuration. My F20C revs up to 10,500rpms.
Sorry, didn't introduce myself and my S2000 not yet.

My Name is Bernd , living in northern Germany and I have a 99er S2000 and did an Engine Revision in Winter 07/08 because of heavy oil consumption.
I found several problems with the piston rings and the exhaust valve guides. So I decided to make a new Engine Built-Up with new parts.

I have such a configuration:

Carrillo Rods (I-Beam), Woessner Pistons with 13.7:1 compression, fine-balanced crankshaft, lightweight Toda Flywheel (only 3kg), Honda Bearings, sleeved Block with 87.5mm bores, self-modified cylinderhead with modified combustion chambers, Skunk2 Valves, Dual Springs (Skunk2), Titanium Retainers, OEM Camshaft (Skunk2 StageII showed no gains - only more noise), Skunk2 70mm Throttlebody, Oilcooler (and no more OEM water/oil-cooler), Tracy Sports Header and 60mm Ti-Dual Catback, Tracy Sports Oilpan, Hondata K-Pro (self tuned, sorry - no Dyno yet), new Engine Sensors, new Chain Tensioner.

The engine revs up to 10,500 rpm without any problems but due to the OEM camshafts and the old intake manifold very slow after 9,500rpm.
Currently I'm working on a pair of new Camshafts and a new Intake Manifold that I design by myself to have the Power Peak at 9,500 rpm, so the Engine will rev easier over 10,000rpm.

Best regards
Bernd
Nice Set-up Bernd;

Have you ever considered to use over-sized valves also?

Regarding to the camshaft issue; it is a tricky job to do. I supposed you have already worked on that but in case you are looking for an example take a look on jun3 for B series. The set-back of custom camshaft design is an impossible-to-estimate type of engine characteristic, and you would need lots of different profiles to fit into your needs. anyway. good luck.

For ITB, I have observed in more than 1 case that the ITB is creating a turbulent flow at the intakes, getting less air as ther revs are getting higher. I think you should somehow adress this problem (maybe a box like m3 itb's).

BR,

D.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever considered to use over-sized valves also?
Yes, but after a closer look to the combustion chambers I decided to leave the Valve Sizes as they are. I would even go the opposite Way for smaller Valves because:
- the intake Valves are very close to the Cylinders. The Airflow is interrupted at these Areas. The effektive Valve Opening Area is limited there. Smaller Valves have more clearance and the Airflow is better.
(I have pictures from a modified cylinderhead but don't know how to attach them here).

Regarding to the camshaft issue; it is a tricky job to do. I supposed you have already worked on that but in case you are looking for an example take a look on jun3 for B series. The set-back of custom camshaft design is an impossible-to-estimate type of engine characteristic, and you would need lots of different profiles to fit into your needs. anyway. good luck.
I have already designed Cams when I worked for a german Car Manufacturer (has 4 Rings in it's Logo). I know a Company in Germany that is doing the Machining (Grinding and Treatment). I will give it a Try, because I didn't see any existing Cam Profile that fit my needs. I need the Power Peak at 9.500 rpm and the VTEC lobes must work between 6.000rpm and 10.500rpm. It's tricky, right. But I will try..

For ITB, I have observed in more than 1 case that the ITB is creating a turbulent flow at the intakes, getting less air as ther revs are getting higher. I think you should somehow adress this problem (maybe a box like m3 itb's).
That is absolutely correct! And I will go the supposed Way. Thanks, D...
I have an old ITB that will be cutted in the next weeks and I will weld a new Box for it.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

honestly i dont know anything about the whole revving higher thing... but horsepower is a function of torque so why're you guys arguing about it? f1 cars are powerful not because of them having xxx amount of torque but because they rev high.