S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Private Label Header Test + Dyno...

Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewmob,Dec 31 2009, 08:38 AM
IMO I'd say 10whp up and especially down would be a major swing for such a minor modification. I'm curious as to whether there are other underlying causes there like loss of compression since last dyno, etc.

Keep us updated.
And yet you've been touting this header's gains that were "dyno proven" to be 10(ish) hp...

Just sayin...

Old 12-31-2009, 03:55 AM

Fireball: yours using a greddy emu to control the 2.4L I've always thought you needed a standalone for that. How does it drive?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car drive's like stock . no problems with the emu

raced the car in a sprint championship all year, won my class easily

will test the compression again when i go for a retune next wk
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Dec 31 2009, 07:53 AM
And yet you've been touting this header's gains that were "dyno proven" to be 10(ish) hp...

Just sayin...

Are you being serious? Me??? I haven't touted anything... Where would you come up with such an asinine comment? Is this a joke? Its hard to tell internet humor sometimes...

Maybe you're confusing me with the guy selling this header??????????????

If anything I have been fair with stating the ups and downs of the unit and have clearly stated on multiple occasions that I have not personally dyno'd the unit. Hell, just a few posts up I documented my leakage issue with the gasket.

While we're on this topic, I have no financial stake in this matter and would be perfectly happy with people buying any other header so they don't have the same thing as me.

NS, don't forget that the first time you and I spoke I went out of my way to be helpful to you.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by drewmob,Sep 3 2009, 08:54 AM
Agreed that you won't see much power out of this mod w/ an NA setup. I'm hoping it is worth it when I go SC'd.
This is from the 1st page of this thread.

/rant.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by fireball,Dec 31 2009, 09:38 AM
car drive's like stock . no problems with the emu

raced the car in a sprint championship all year, won my class easily

will test the compression again when i go for a retune next wk
Hmmm rly I pulled my motor last night and looking to build it n/a may have to see if I can use the EMU thanx
Old 12-31-2009, 07:44 PM

Drew: I apologize. I was under the mistaken impression that you were implicitly touting this header's gains based on the OP's dyno test.

Berlina: As Drew (and others) have pointed out, this header isn't exactly the highest quality header. It doesn't fit the rest of the exhaust system properly, and as of yet we don't have a solid dyno that could be attributed solely to this header (in fact, we're seeing reports of losses), nor do we have any evidence for the longevity of this header (description of build quality is "OK", not "great/excellent/bestest evah").

I'd say, for many people, the jury is still out on this header.

But thanks for playing

p.s. I'm glad to see you didn't bother reading the entire thread, and instead just attempted to give yourself a boost in business (as a non-sponser, none-the-less...)
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by berlinas2k2,Dec 31 2009, 11:56 PM
How are you guys installing these? We havn't had any customer issues yet that I know of. I actually thought about putting one on my own car for a bit since I am going back to NA
The only issue I've had is in mating the header to my TP. I went with the oem donut and some different bolts upon reinstallation of my TP this evening so I'm hoping everything is satisfactory now. I'll test drive tomorrow and report back w/ pics. I wouldn't cite this as anything more than a minor annoyance. I've seen these types of issues before... Overall quality and finish are fine.

Fwiw this is the 1st report I've seen of losses and it seems like the jury is still out on that one, right? Weren't there multiple mods made w/ the TB being replaced too? Wouldn't that require a retune to mitigate changes to flow/AFRs?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:34 AM

yes i put the header on and at the same time put the bigger throttle body on. and yes tuning was done to no avail .. it lost 10 hp, no matter what the tuner tried.

will try goin from a 63mm test pipe/63mm exhaust -> 70mm test pipe/70mm exhaust and retune and see what happens as i've already said.

same prob as drew with the berk test pipe. it doesnt mate well with the supplied donut.some hammering with a mallet and using a proper nut/bolt in place of the stock bolt/spring/nut to secure the header to the test pipe with some gasket sealant, and that seemed to seal it.

the header fitted well with the t1r 70mm test pipe ,oem donut and proper nut/bolt not the oem spring/nut bolt
Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 AM

change one thing at a time. It wont be conclusive for you to swap the TB and the exhaust again. My guess is that the TB is what's got you down, not the header/exhaust.

Quick Reply: Private Label Header Test + Dyno...