S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Private Label Header Test + Dyno...

Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Dec 12 2009, 01:33 PM
Using these dyno charts to claim this header makes similar power to the original J's header dyno, the new FastForward header, the Hytech header, etc is categorically unfair as all those were dyno'd with the stock cat/exhaust.
Can you point to the link of the Hytech header dyno'ed with the stock exhaust? The only dyno I know of is the Mike GP on the "header thread." I am just curious to know how those numbers compare to the J's. TIA.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vitt,Dec 12 2009, 08:40 PM
Can you point to the link of the Hytech header dyno'ed with the stock exhaust? The only dyno I know of is the Mike GP on the "header thread." I am just curious to know how those numbers compare to the J's. TIA.

Good call. I stand corrected. I thought someone, somewhere had a dyno of a stock exhaust with Hytech header. I'm sure they're out there, just not posted on the interweb.

Just goes to show how much disinformation is and how many unproven claims are out there.

The point is that much of the gains can be attributed to the full system, so it's hard to compare because to see those gains we'd have to have the same exact mods. The only fair way to measure gains/losses on a header is to compare stock exhaust/cat with the header to other dynos with stock exhaust/cat and header.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=Neutered Sputniks,Dec 12 2009, 06:13 PM]The point is that much of the gains can be attributed to the full system, so it's hard to compare because to see those gains we'd have to have the same exact mods.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:55 PM

The problem is that the stock exhaust is the only thing every S would have in common. We can't expect for everyone to go out and find a specific TP/catback to run a header test. There are, on the other hand, plenty of S2000's with stock exhausts that can be used for header dynos.

The point isn't to show that the header makes a massive increase (we can look at other dynos to figure that out), we're looking for dynos to better compare what effect each header has.

For instance, the FF header has shown 8-10Hp gains on a stock AP1 (and more on the AP2, I believe). Now, we know that with a full TP/Catback (or HFC/Catback) we'll see even more gains out of the header. But without a dyno of the PLM header with a stock exhaust, we can't compare the two fairly. We know the PLM makes 6-10HP with the rest of the exhaust replaced...I'd bet that with the rest of the exhaust replaced, the FF header makes even more than 8-10 - but again, unless we were to dyno with the exact same exhaust the PLM has been dyno'd with, we're not really comparing the header itself but the entire exhaust system - header-back.

It's definitely a minefield trying to pick a header because of the disparity between how they're all dyno'd.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:11 PM

^^ I see what you're saying. The only way really would be for the test to be done on one car, same dyno, same day. And for those that say the car community doesn't work that way, it has been done before. At least the different headers were tested under same exact conditions on same car. There's this one listed on daliracing.com: http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/grea...header_test.cfm

I think the dali racing link may be the same test as one of tests done on the ITR forum at honda-tech.com. I think they called it the great header test. And there were 2 or 3 done over the years. And I see it's been talked about on s2ki.com as well: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=102739&st=0&
Old 12-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Where the hell can I pick this up for $370-$380 as others have? Help me out peeps?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:42 PM

ebay. I forgot the name of the seller though, but I think it's on one of the threads linked on this thread first couple pages.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pipi_outlet
Old 12-12-2009, 08:31 PM

manolo.cabasal - I can't really tell if its raspy or not from your video since the sound of the header is drowned out by the Tsudo. I installed my PLM, and it's difficult to describe, but I'm getting a hissing/crackling, raspy sound between 3K and about 5K RPM. I was wondering if this is normal? The installation went fairly smooth, but the fitment was a little loose between the header and TP even with the OEM donut. I don't think this would matter since the spring bolts were torqued down and I don't believe there are any leaks. Any pointers?
Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S2K,Dec 11 2009, 01:16 PM
Any of you guys getting a raspy tone from this header?
I did. I can just barely hear it with my Fujitsubo, but I hated it when I had my Invidia Q300. Seemed to go away with the A'pexi world sport 2 as well.

Quick Reply: Private Label Header Test + Dyno...