S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

port and polish f20c head

Old 08-01-2011, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got f20c with with 42k i bought from honda like it is just no intake mani or valve cover but besides that complete

300 shipped if you want i paied 400 but dont need i blew motor so i am using that head now
Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by s2k210
im building all motor setup should i port and polish the head everyone is saying not to take any material off these heads it ruins them and loss power.i was reading they said dont port it just give nice polish but local machine shop who builds alot of v8 he does good port work everyone says and very good price im just scared to port it and end up losing power what should i do
if the guy soes good work and has been doing it for a while then take it to him it doesnt matter if he does 2,4,5,8,10 cylinder engines or whatever he does you pay for his knowledge and his ability to keep the walls strait and give it a good short turn and to unshroud the valves, if you are just staying N/A have him weld in the quench pads allite more that will give you more power and better proporgation, make sure you not just getting a fluff and buff, the more air flow the better with N/A. you may also want to switch to a colder plug too.

thats just my 2 cents, good luck.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you weld up the quench pads on these heads and you arent careful you'll end up with the pistons hitting the head, they stick out 0.010 over the headgasket. That also doesn't do much for deshrouding the valves. If you are going that far its better to mill the crap out of the head and use a thick headgasket to get proper piston - head clearance.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:12 PM

it actualy does alot on a N/A motor, if it comes out of the hole .010 and the gasket is .030 he will be fine. just weld it then surface it and blend the thing and give it a short turn and punch out the pockets, it will be good enough, let me know if im wrong
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_2fast4u
it actualy does alot on a N/A motor, if it comes out of the hole .010 and the gasket is .030 he will be fine. just weld it then surface it and blend the thing and give it a short turn and punch out the pockets, it will be good enough, let me know if im wrong
You are wrong

Enlarging may gain cfm but will drop velocity

Great flowbench numbers don't equate to a great head
Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k210' timestamp='1311036641' post='20792062
im building all motor setup should i port and polish the head everyone is saying not to take any material off these heads it ruins them and loss power.i was reading they said dont port it just give nice polish but local machine shop who builds alot of v8 he does good port work everyone says and very good price im just scared to port it and end up losing power what should i do
if the guy soes good work and has been doing it for a while then take it to him it doesnt matter if he does 2,4,5,8,10 cylinder engines or whatever he does you pay for his knowledge and his ability to keep the walls strait and give it a good short turn and to unshroud the valves, if you are just staying N/A have him weld in the quench pads allite more that will give you more power and better proporgation, make sure you not just getting a fluff and buff, the more air flow the better with N/A. you may also want to switch to a colder plug too.

I guess it depends on how you know the guy does good work. I'd personally only take a Honda head to someone that is known to do great jobs on Honda heads specifically.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by H22toF20
Originally Posted by s2k_2fast4u' timestamp='1312584868' post='20852284
[quote name='s2k210' timestamp='1311036641' post='20792062']

I guess it depends on how you know the guy does good work. I'd personally only take a Honda head to someone that is known to do great jobs on Honda heads specifically.
[/quote]

I agree with that statement. To do other wise would be little different from taking a Telsa to a nitrous shop to prep for the "big race".
Old 08-08-2011, 05:17 PM

i gave you my opion, it your money and time so make the best desion for yourself. and i am rite, you are somewhat rite about the flow numbers but there is alot to gain from a head that flows better, unless you boost it then it doesnt make that much of a difference. I paid alot for my knowledge, so this is the end for me on this discussion.

just trying to help thats all, not looking for a heated debate
Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the piston comes out of the hole 0.040, the gasket is 0.030, the piston sticks out over the GASKET 0.010
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM

polishing isnt the best... the best is to create a golf ball texture to the ports so the air rolls at the surface of them, making this air rolling effect will significantly help the air to roll on air creating a faster flowing vortex and not a slow down from metal surface where the flow loose its efficiency. polishing or porting a s2000 head is very disputed , some say its good , others dont, personnaly i think that a 2.0l engine develloping 240hp is really good in its stock form, and I dont think spending money on only a port and polish job + valves job will significantly make power on a N/A form. I havent seen cams changing much in N/A form too. IMO The best a N/A s2k motor can have is a bump in displacement, a set of ITB's or a CAI ,a non restrictive exhaust, some mods on the inertial mass (lightened flywheel, alloy pulleys, A/C delete, P/S delete etc...) and a very good tune up.

Quick Reply: port and polish f20c head