S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

new stroker built, now misfire codes

Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not planning on leaving it with a vafc **
Old 05-23-2012, 02:54 AM
SSS

I'm not against a vafc,check your grounds, esp. top of valve cover. Yes you need to set valve lash at .007
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM

thank you. I actually just remembered there isn't a ground on the valve cover. I over looked it. I'll check it when I get back to the shop. and I was gonna wait until the new valves got wore in a bit before I re tightened the valves. set all to .007?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 PM

unless the valve cover ground is the one that actually goes on the back of the block? I got that one. I don't remember one going to the valve cover bolts
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM

There is no ground on the valve cover. There is a ground however on the back of the head
Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by kial007
There is no ground on the valve cover. There is a ground however on the back of the head
i got the one on the back of the head. and the starter grounds and the engine ground that goes to the subframe. i double checked timing again, and it seemed a tiny bit off so i reset it, and i gauged the valve lash and it seems to be a little off but my feeler gauges and i weren't getting along so im gonna get another set of feelers and try to tighten it all down. i got the 1st and 4th valves tightened. and took the car for a test run and got no cel at idle (let it idle for a little over 5 minutes, and then took it a mile down the road or so and didnt get any cel (but it did hesitate twice at around 2500 rpm.) until i turned in the drive way and it threw 300 301 302 and 1399. im going to rewire my injectors tomorrow, and ill solder them in instead of just twisting and heat wrapping.
the 3rd and 4th injector seemed to be making more noise than the first two. it almost sounds like a vacuum leak but ive replaced all the lines.
im trying to see if ill be able to get it where it doesnt throw any codes before i spend $1000 on an ecu and its still throwing codes because of something else. any advice is appreciated.
and yes, i know, a vafc isnt what i should have. its zeroed out right now anyway, its just monitoring, and on a close-loop out of vtec the ecu should collaborate with the O2 sensor and optimize a/f
Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 PM

had a thought, since the CR is higher, should i be running a smaller gapped plug? i have NGK iridium .044 now..
Old 05-29-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by bjt1ngle
im trying to see if ill be able to get it where it doesnt throw any codes before i spend $1000 on an ecu and its still throwing codes because of something else.
There is no IF here - either spend the money for proper programmable engine management or the best you can hope for is slightly less ghetto - ghetto - ghetto - ghetto - ghetto as in I live dirty dirty grimy grimy and everyone else calls me an idiot but there haters cause ghetto

Misfire - ghetto - vafc ghetto - blown engine you tried to drive around because you listened to other idiots - ghetto - your broke and car goes up for sale in the classifieds for cheap with your ghetto blown engine - ghetto - your stroker motor makes less power than stock and you can't even drive it around - ghetto

Imma make you a tune bro called "I can't ghetto my sh*t together"
Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
Originally Posted by bjt1ngle' timestamp='1337837772' post='21725086
im trying to see if ill be able to get it where it doesnt throw any codes before i spend $1000 on an ecu and its still throwing codes because of something else.
There is no IF here - either spend the money for proper programmable engine management or the best you can hope for is slightly less ghetto - ghetto - ghetto - ghetto - ghetto as in I live dirty dirty grimy grimy and everyone else calls me an idiot but there haters cause ghetto

Misfire - ghetto - vafc ghetto - blown engine you tried to drive around because you listened to other idiots - ghetto - your broke and car goes up for sale in the classifieds for cheap with your ghetto blown engine - ghetto - your stroker motor makes less power than stock and you can't even drive it around - ghetto

Imma make you a tune bro called "I can't ghetto my sh*t together"
When did vafcs become ghetto? I hope you meant for this set-up....
Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 AM

The vafc is a low cost solution designed for when none others exist - even apexi themselves knowing this offers the power fc. To build a stroker motor with aftermarket injectors and then drive it around on the factory ecu when 3 other proper solutions exists deserves my sticks and stones - they hurt a lot less than the repair bill. Which all his "friends" that hes taking lessons from arent going to pay btw.

Quick Reply: new stroker built, now misfire codes