S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

new stroker built, now misfire codes

Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new stroker built, now misfire codes

ok so I built a stroker, modified k24 crank and inline pro rods for oem pistons. supposed to raise the CR to 12.8:1
well I noticed it studdered a little yesterday (I finished the build Sunday) and threw a cel. all the misfire codes. and some o2 sensor code. so I replaced all the plugs with ngk and swapped my coil packs to a secondary set I have just to try and I'm still getting p1399 and a blinking cel
I haven't driven it since replacing the coil packs. just idle and after a minute it'll blink and go away. I replaced all my vac lines because It sounded like a leak and I also threw a secondary air pump code. which hasnt come back after that.

any suggestions or ideas? running rc 650cc and a walbro 255 with a vafc II. stock cat.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 PM

also I got new springs retainers keepers and valve seals. may need to adjust the valves ?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

vafc II?

get rid of it. the vafc II maybe ok for a stockish bolt on setup but in your case you need a standalone.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your running a stock ecu with a vafc??? on 650's??
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 PM

I already know that. I hate myself for passing up on an AEM for $400 a couple years ago, I've been lookin for a good deal like that since then. done enough research to be comfortable with the apexi for right now, I'm not driving it at the moment, I have a daily. I'm still waitin on my wideband to come in before I do any tuning with it
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM

like I said, I've only put about 30 miles on it since I turned it over because it seemed to idle smoothly and it's driven smooth with the two exceptions of it bogging for a moment around 2k-3k
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^What b.r.i.a.n. said^^^ you need fuel management and tune-ability, NOT a VAFC
Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 PM

I've been in touch with a few people who did a stroker and ran a vafc for months with no issue and eventually did upgrade to a full ems.
so with the bashing over the vafc I'm assuming you all have come to the consensus that it's a fuel problem causing the misfire?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well you've already changed those injectors. those injectors don't have the same dead times as the stock injectors. you're going to be chasing your tail trying to tune the fuel map with the incorrect dead times.

besides that, the vafc will remove fuel. considering you've lengthened the stroke, you're going to be doing the opposite lol. i don't understand how you can cheap out on the one thing that will tie everything together.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM

I only needed to move the car out of the way for right now, I'm planning on leaving it with a vafc. with it being mechanic tuned I figured it'd be like everything else and work as is for all I needed. I wanted to make sure the Clearence was good and there were no leaks, so the vafc has worked precisely as I needed it to. I knew the limits of it before I got it, but someone sold it to me for super cheap and I figured it would work for what I needed for the time being and it has.
I'm just trying to make sure that's all it is, and that it's not something worse before I spend a grand on an ems and it still throws these codes.

Quick Reply: new stroker built, now misfire codes