S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Lowering VTEC

Old 11-23-2014 | 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by weatyGT
As vtec is oil pressure related.... with lower rpms.... is oil pressure issues effecting anyone whos lowered the VTEC point??
The solenoid uses that oil pressure to cycle. Oil pressure is available because it is driven by the oil pump. It's not an issue.
Old 11-23-2014 | 12:00 PM

So 6000rpm vtec engagement slight drop in oil pressure but due to engine speed isnt an issue.

3600rpm vtec enguagement slight drop in oil pressure, lower engine speed isnt an issue.

Is there any effect on oil pressure when vtec is at lower rpms??

Cant find too much detail so interesting to discuss.
Old 11-23-2014 | 01:06 PM
10 Year Member

Think your tuner would have told you if a potential problem
Old 11-23-2014 | 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
Think your tuner would have told you if a potential problem
I would hope so noodles ;-) Romain did plenty of runs 12 in total iirc...

I asked for a very very safe remap as its my daily and used to cart shopping and foster lad around etc etc. I had read good things about a 3900 vtec but main purpose was the car running healthy all he time so not to shoot for highest bhp etc....

After the first run (as the car came to him) he smiled nodded and thumbs up....

He comes out saying vtec is 3600 and redline increased a bit... but you'll see better mpg more power and loads more torque! Figures ae healthy for the car from his experience and its a good set up, slightly held back by the exhaust as its 2.75"... 3" is best apparently but its all dependant on noise, purpose, looks etc bla bla.

Interested to know more about the tuning of f20c as got the SC on the way, fingers crossed.
Old 11-24-2014 | 03:02 PM

So 6000rpm vtec engagement slight drop in oil pressure but due to engine speed isnt an issue.

3600rpm vtec enguagement slight drop in oil pressure, lower engine speed isnt an issue.

Is there any effect on oil pressure when vtec is at lower rpms??

Cant find too much detail so interesting to discuss.
Oil pressure doesn't drop. That would suggest the oil pump regressed at the time that the vtec solenoid is actuated.

Imagine it like this, voltage (electrical pressure) is always available at a light switch, once that switch is flipped that pressure is used to transport electrical current (amps) to the load. In the same instance, oil pressure is always available to the solenoid, once the solenoid is activated by the PCM the solenoid utilizes the available oil pressure to operate vtec. It doesn't create an issue, this is simply how it operates. Whether this solenoid is activated at 2,000 rpms or 8,000 rpms the same operation is performed, solenoid actuated to use vtec lobe. The act and result are identical.
Old 11-24-2014 | 09:35 PM

It takes very little oil pressure to operate Vtec. All it is doing is allowing the oil to push a couple small pins to lock some small mechanical parts in place. It is very simple.

Setting Vtec to 3,600 is perfectly safe, it is where mine has been set for ages. However, you probably wouldn't notice much difference between setting it at 5,200 or 3,600. Especially on an AP2, but on an AP1 as well (non-vtec lobes on AP2 cams are much more aggressive so switching to vtec lobes is less noticeable at lower RPM).
Old 11-25-2014 | 03:30 AM

I thought the 2.2 only had a displacement difference valve sprigs etc....

The VTEC cam is different too???
Old 11-25-2014 | 08:02 AM

I thought the 2.2 only had a displacement difference valve sprigs etc....

The VTEC cam is different too???
the 2.2 has a different crank (maybe some other internal difference, rods, pistons, don't know that information), the cams are different from ap1 to ap2. both engines have vtec cams. there is a lobe on the camshaft that is the vtec lobe. the ap2 camshaft normal lobes are bigger making the changeover to vtec less noticeable.
Old 04-20-2015 | 09:16 PM

Disclaimer : I don't know tuning.

I have a 2008 with just a K&N intake & Berk 63.5 HFC. Just picked up Flashpro and plan on my friend tuning it soon. Want something very safe, and my primary goals are lowered vtec for autocross and eliminating the fuel cut when bouncing the rev limiter (happens if an autocross has 2 sections where you need bounce the limiter). What do ya'll guess I'll see in terms of gains, and what do you guess the optimal vtec crossover for me will be ... and what AFR should I be shooting for with motor safety being a primary concern? Thx!
Old 04-21-2015 | 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by tcjensen
Disclaimer : I don't know tuning.

I have a 2008 with just a K&N intake & Berk 63.5 HFC. Just picked up Flashpro and plan on my friend tuning it soon. Want something very safe, and my primary goals are lowered vtec for autocross and eliminating the fuel cut when bouncing the rev limiter (happens if an autocross has 2 sections where you need bounce the limiter). What do ya'll guess I'll see in terms of gains, and what do you guess the optimal vtec crossover for me will be ... and what AFR should I be shooting for with motor safety being a primary concern? Thx!
Have gernby remote tune it. If your friend knows what he's doing, he'll have all the correct answers.

HFC can reduce vtec cross over to perhaps between 4800-5200 (could be lower too)

Rev limit to 8400

AFR around 12.6-13 for NA I would think

you'll make 20-30 HP in the new cross over and 8-12hp up top due to HFC and tighter AFR. You could play with Ignition to help gain some more.

I am not a tuner nor should you take my comments as gospel. That's why I recommend a experiences flashpro s2000 tuner

Quick Reply: Lowering VTEC