S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Lowering VTEC

Old 08-21-2014 | 06:22 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

VTEC is RPM and load dependent.
Old 08-21-2014 | 08:27 PM

I have a intake on the car, and a test pipe sitting in my room. I am really tempted to pull the trigger on a emanage to hold me over until I start my turbo build and go EMS.

however I am still enjoying the stock characteristics of the car, and the 6k vtec "kick" is still fun to me as well. Did any of you who lowered you vtec have any 2nd thoughts or anything afterwards? 20 hp and 15 tq in the mid range sounds nice, but most of the time if I need to go, Im not that low in the RPM range anyway.
Old 08-22-2014 | 04:49 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

No regrets. That 'kick' can get you in trouble on track.
Old 09-23-2014 | 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
So with my car the changeover is almost unnoticeable. The car just pulls and continues to pull smoothly all the way to the redline. Mine is set at 3500 and like someone said it is set up so it only happens at a certain throttle position so if you are cruising you are not in vtec but if you downshift and put your foot down you are already in vtec. The feel is totally different than the vtec change over in stock form. Having a good wideband is also a good idea so your tuner can really dial it in.
What relationship to torque does this 'mod' have - if any?

Does it feel like more/less torque than standard even though the peak torque has been moved?

Reason I ask is that I am installing my Ap1 drivetrain in a car which will not require SMOG or similar which will not be a DD and which can afford to lose some top end power as it weighs approx 1000lbs less than the S2000 - and had lousy torque to begin with.
Old 09-23-2014 | 01:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by cortina
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1367886832' post='22523926
So with my car the changeover is almost unnoticeable. The car just pulls and continues to pull smoothly all the way to the redline. Mine is set at 3500 and like someone said it is set up so it only happens at a certain throttle position so if you are cruising you are not in vtec but if you downshift and put your foot down you are already in vtec. The feel is totally different than the vtec change over in stock form. Having a good wideband is also a good idea so your tuner can really dial it in.

Does it feel like more/less torque than standard even though the peak torque has been moved?

Reason I ask is that I am installing my Ap1 drivetrain in a car which will not require SMOG or similar which will not be a DD and which can afford to lose some top end power as it weighs approx 1000lbs less than the S2000 - and had lousy torque to begin with.

It flattens the torque. You will not lose anything up top as you have not changed anything there. What you're doing raising midrange torque where it was previously lacking due to the low cam not providing enough air and because the factory set the VTEC changeover too high for a smooth transition of power.

Stock form:

Lower VTEC with supporting mods (lower power graph):
Old 09-23-2014 | 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by cortina' timestamp='1411505093' post='23342278
[quote name='Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1367886832' post='22523926']

It flattens the torque. You will not lose anything up top as you have not changed anything there. What you're doing raising midrange torque where it was previously lacking due to the low cam not providing enough air and because the factory set the VTEC changeover too high for a smooth transition of power.

Stock form:

Lower VTEC with supporting mods (lower power graph):

[/quote]

Many thanks for such a complete and clear answer, looks perfect for me - so I need a test pipe (which I'm hunting down as we speak), I don't have an ECM/harness yet so my options are wide open as far as a 'system' - any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2014 | 06:38 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

Since you don't need to pass emissions, I would personally opt for an AEM EMS2 or AEM Infinity.
Old 09-27-2014 | 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Since you don't need to pass emissions, I would personally opt for an AEM EMS2 or AEM Infinity.
Tks for that, I'll investigate AEM, incidentally, I was intending putting a SHO motor in the Cortina but couldn't find one locally which hadn't ben ridden hard and put away dead - you siggy resonated with me!
Old 11-22-2014 | 08:59 AM

Name:  20141122_152928_zpsbilevjf4.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  88.4 KB

vtec @3600rpm Yo!
Old 11-23-2014 | 08:44 AM

As vtec is oil pressure related.... with lower rpms.... is oil pressure issues effecting anyone whos lowered the VTEC point??

Quick Reply: Lowering VTEC