S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Lowering VTEC

Old 05-11-2013 | 08:15 AM

I have a stock '02 ap1 (except gutted airbox) as far as power mods goes. And my current goal is to lower vtec a little and smooth out the power band. Im working off what i understand to be the cheapest and least mod intensive way to do this. I am buying a 70mm berk HFC from another s2ki member who lives close to me. Next i will order an afc neo (if anyone has a used one with PnP harness please pm me). I will then get these dyno tuned and hopefully post dyno charts of stock baseline and berk HFC pre and post tune.

If Im missing something please offer some guidence, this is my first post on s2ki so please dont flame me. Thanks for the info so far
Old 05-11-2013 | 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Also depending on the year of the car (+02 and especially 04+) if you got some good bolt ons which provide a worthwhile increase in flow, the stock ecu will not accommodate the added fuel needed to support this. A TP is about it, beyond that you should plan on incorporating some measure of additional fuel, either from as simple as an adjustable fpr to turn up fuel pressure, to a full ems. Beyond about 13-13.5 afr you will be past lean best, run dangerously hot combustion temps and will start losing power. The factory ecu with cat puts the car in the 12's on years mentioned, a TP runs you near a full point leaner. You need a tune beyond that not just to maximize your gains, but to run safe.

I'd have to disagree with this. I have an 03, and even in the winter where AFRs would be the leanest, on the stock ecu, my wideband doesn't show any scary lean AFRs. It will jump to high 13s right at vtec but then will go down to where it's supposed to.

Another example of the stock ecu being fine for simple bolt ons is that a lot of people will do bolt ons and then tune it with a VAFC, which can ONLY lean out the fuel mixture. While obviously this solution isn't ideal, as a lot of the gains from lowering vtec is advancing the timing in the area where you are now on the high cam instead of the low cam, and some areas may need more fuel for a flat AFR curve, and the VAFC can't alter timing or add fuel, I don't consider this to be dangerous option, just not the best tuning solution.

I have yet to see a thread on here where someone stated they blew their engine because they didn't tune their N/A bolt on S2k. I have been running full bolt ons on stock ecu for years with no problems. I recently got tuned on an AEM EMS and went from 190whp/130wtq to 221whp/146wtq with 20-25whp gains in the mid range, but Im currently back on the stock ecu, and AFRs on my wideband are still safe.
Old 05-11-2013 | 07:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Garrett_si
Lowering vtec switchover point without dyno test is really not good. In the stock version of s2000 the vtec should not be lowered more than 5500 rpm otherwise you will lose power

When you have modification lowering more is most of the time good but dynotest is a necessity

Road tune and data logging; problem solved.
Old 05-14-2013 | 11:51 AM
Community Organizer
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1368246925' post='22534940

Also depending on the year of the car (+02 and especially 04+) if you got some good bolt ons which provide a worthwhile increase in flow, the stock ecu will not accommodate the added fuel needed to support this. A TP is about it, beyond that you should plan on incorporating some measure of additional fuel, either from as simple as an adjustable fpr to turn up fuel pressure, to a full ems. Beyond about 13-13.5 afr you will be past lean best, run dangerously hot combustion temps and will start losing power. The factory ecu with cat puts the car in the 12's on years mentioned, a TP runs you near a full point leaner. You need a tune beyond that not just to maximize your gains, but to run safe.

I'd have to disagree with this. I have an 03, and even in the winter where AFRs would be the leanest, on the stock ecu, my wideband doesn't show any scary lean AFRs. It will jump to high 13s right at vtec but then will go down to where it's supposed to.

Another example of the stock ecu being fine for simple bolt ons is that a lot of people will do bolt ons and then tune it with a VAFC, which can ONLY lean out the fuel mixture. While obviously this solution isn't ideal, as a lot of the gains from lowering vtec is advancing the timing in the area where you are now on the high cam instead of the low cam, and some areas may need more fuel for a flat AFR curve, and the VAFC can't alter timing or add fuel, I don't consider this to be dangerous option, just not the best tuning solution.

I have yet to see a thread on here where someone stated they blew their engine because they didn't tune their N/A bolt on S2k. I have been running full bolt ons on stock ecu for years with no problems. I recently got tuned on an AEM EMS and went from 190whp/130wtq to 221whp/146wtq with 20-25whp gains in the mid range, but Im currently back on the stock ecu, and AFRs on my wideband are still safe.
Like I said, its all dependant on the year and how effective and extensive the bolt on’s are. Your experience isnt gospel across the board, just you’re set up. No one should be doing much more then a typical cat swap/intake without running a wideband to see where their afr is, period. The simple fact is the later years, especially 04+ run a pretty optimum lean afr and making the afr leaner by bolting on more breathing mods will not only yield minimal power as a result, but also can lose power, and cause your combustion temps to go up, and if you run the car hard frequently, you could cause damage. I've run just about every configuration you can think of out there for this car, from N/A to Supercharged, with a vafc to E-manage with 1000cc injectors. Various Bolt on's, adjustable fuel pressure regulators with stock injectors. F20/f22/F23/low comp motors etc all with same ecu to see different tune effect between years, so I have had a chance to explore what effect these things have in various states and what to anticipate when making recommendations. Its better to air on the side of caution, rather then just throw it all to the wind and bolt up whats popular at the moment. A lot of guys just getting started performing bolt on mods with this car, don’t have the complete picture of what effect they are creating, or how to accomplish their goals most effectively.
Old 05-14-2013 | 02:57 PM

I want to read into this some more. Some more low end power would be nice, aside from expensive ITBs, or FI
Old 05-14-2013 | 07:59 PM
Community Organizer
15 Year Member

Test Pipe and E-manage. Best bang for the buck.

If you don't have any E-manage support available to you, a simple adjustable rate fpr and vafc will give you about 75% of the overall power potential you would with an E-manage or full stand alone. One compromise I want to mention with the vafc though is that vtec is all rpm based, rather then throttle percentage or load such stock or other EMS, so if you want to see vtec as low as possible in the 3500-4000rpm range, you may find yourself there a lot when you don't want to be, like in-between each shift or cruising on freeway. Its not a harmful thing, except for your mpg. Setting it higher in the 4500-5000 range helps that, but then your not getting the full benefit of lower rpm power improvement.
Old 05-15-2013 | 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by liquid_helix136' timestamp='1368327002' post='22536393
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1368246925' post='22534940']

Like I said, its all dependant on the year and how effective and extensive the bolt on’s are. Your experience isnt gospel across the board, just you’re set up. No one should be doing much more then a typical cat swap/intake without running a wideband to see where their afr is, period. The simple fact is the later years, especially 04+ run a pretty optimum lean afr and making the afr leaner by bolting on more breathing mods will not only yield minimal power as a result, but also can lose power, and cause your combustion temps to go up, and if you run the car hard frequently, you could cause damage. I've run just about every configuration you can think of out there for this car, from N/A to Supercharged, with a vafc to E-manage with 1000cc injectors. Various Bolt on's, adjustable fuel pressure regulators with stock injectors. F20/f22/F23/low comp motors etc all with same ecu to see different tune effect between years, so I have had a chance to explore what effect these things have in various states and what to anticipate when making recommendations. Its better to air on the side of caution, rather then just throw it all to the wind and bolt up whats popular at the moment. A lot of guys just getting started performing bolt on mods with this car, don’t have the complete picture of what effect they are creating, or how to accomplish their goals most effectively.
[/quote]

I'll agree that there is a lot of hype around particular mods and a lot of people doing them without actually knowing what effect they are having towards an engine. I definitely agree with at least getting a wideband if you plan on modding your car beyond some of the very basic things (just a catback, or just an intake etc.) I don't think I'll ever own another performance car again without hooking up a wideband to it. So much information can be gathered about whats going on with your car just by knowing the AFRs at that point. Especially when troubleshooting issues.
Old 05-15-2013 | 06:00 PM
Community Organizer
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1368561071' post='22542129
[quote name='liquid_helix136' timestamp='1368327002' post='22536393']
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1368246925' post='22534940']

[/quote]

I'll agree that there is a lot of hype around particular mods and a lot of people doing them without actually knowing what effect they are having towards an engine. I definitely agree with at least getting a wideband if you plan on modding your car beyond some of the very basic things (just a catback, or just an intake etc.) I don't think I'll ever own another performance car again without hooking up a wideband to it. So much information can be gathered about whats going on with your car just by knowing the AFRs at that point. Especially when troubleshooting issues.
[/quote]

Yes sir
Old 05-16-2013 | 01:43 PM

Well, force induction it is
Old 05-16-2013 | 10:30 PM
Community Organizer
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by AZ-S2000
Well, force induction it is
Yes sir

Quick Reply: Lowering VTEC