S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Lowering VTEC

Old 05-06-2013 | 01:46 PM

Anyone have any idea why his vtec is so loud initially? I had the K&N FIPK before, and I'm aware that it makes vtec sound awesome, but even where I had mine engaging at (3.8k) it never sounded so brutal. Maybe my ignition timing isn't advanced enough in the lower rpms. I guess I'll never know. This car sure does sound awesome though. I sure do miss my K&N intake sometimes!
Old 05-06-2013 | 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
Anyone have any idea why his vtec is so loud initially? I had the K&N FIPK before, and I'm aware that it makes vtec sound awesome, but even where I had mine engaging at (3.8k) it never sounded so brutal. Maybe my ignition timing isn't advanced enough in the lower rpms. I guess I'll never know. This car sure does sound awesome though. I sure do miss my K&N intake sometimes!
I was curious about this as well.
Old 05-06-2013 | 04:33 PM
Site Moderator
10 Year Member

So with my car the changeover is almost unnoticeable. The car just pulls and continues to pull smoothly all the way to the redline. Mine is set at 3500 and like someone said it is set up so it only happens at a certain throttle position so if you are cruising you are not in vtec but if you downshift and put your foot down you are already in vtec. The feel is totally different than the vtec change over in stock form. Having a good wideband is also a good idea so your tuner can really dial it in.
Old 05-08-2013 | 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
So with my car the changeover is almost unnoticeable. The car just pulls and continues to pull smoothly all the way to the redline. Mine is set at 3500 and like someone said it is set up so it only happens at a certain throttle position so if you are cruising you are not in vtec but if you downshift and put your foot down you are already in vtec. The feel is totally different than the vtec change over in stock form. Having a good wideband is also a good idea so your tuner can really dial it in.
So what in all is required to set VTEC at different RPMs?
Old 05-08-2013 | 05:08 AM

you need some form of engine management and the supporting mods for it to be beneficial, IE: a non restrictive exhaust. Put a test pipe in place of the cat, get some engine management and get it tuned. A good tune will have it somewhere in the 4k range.
Old 05-08-2013 | 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
you need some form of engine management and the supporting mods for it to be beneficial, IE: a non restrictive exhaust. Put a test pipe in place of the cat, get some engine management and get it tuned. A good tune will have it somewhere in the 4k range.
Have intake, test pipe, and HKS HiPower catback
Old 05-09-2013 | 05:02 AM

You will see small gains from the test pipe. Probably in the neighborhood of 4 hp untuned. Of course this is barely out of the error range of the dyno, so who knows what exactly it will give.
Old 05-09-2013 | 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kermdaddy
You will see small gains from the test pipe. Probably in the neighborhood of 4 hp untuned. Of course this is barely out of the error range of the dyno, so who knows what exactly it will give.
+1
Old 05-09-2013 | 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by DumpedOnCCWs
What about the stock piping with eliminated cat and resonator
That should be fine. I have a stock CR exhaust with a berk 70mm HFC and I have my engagement point around 4.2k. I don't see my AFRs going rich at the cutover point as you would with the stock cat.

Are you talking about just swapping the cat for a test pipe, no other changes, dynoing the car and comparing peak numbers? If so, I completely agree. A test pipe or HFC combined with lower VTEC could yield big gains in the midrange, even without and real tuning. I have a completely stock car with HFC, lowered VTEC engagement, and I just tuned it for healthy AFRs--haven't touched timing, and I saw almost 20whp more at 5900 rpm.
Old 05-09-2013 | 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by odb812
Originally Posted by DumpedOnCCWs' timestamp='1368068518' post='22529757
What about the stock piping with eliminated cat and resonator
That should be fine. I have a stock CR exhaust with a berk 70mm HFC and I have my engagement point around 4.2k. I don't see my AFRs going rich at the cutover point as you would with the stock cat.

Are you talking about just swapping the cat for a test pipe, no other changes, dynoing the car and comparing peak numbers? If so, I completely agree. A test pipe or HFC combined with lower VTEC could yield big gains in the midrange, even without and real tuning. I have a completely stock car with HFC, lowered VTEC engagement, and I just tuned it for healthy AFRs--haven't touched timing, and I saw almost 20whp more at 5900 rpm.
Nice!

Quick Reply: Lowering VTEC