S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Just tuned my Ap2 on Haltech Sport 1000.. +26whp!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW, I really doubt any of these hybrid / piggy-back ECU setups would pass an OBDII inspection. When I had mine done a couple weeks ago, I was amazed at all the tests that the OBDII testing machine did to validate the tests. It apparently tells the ECU to perform certain actions to create certain conditions that are verified by the inspector. Basically, if the OBDII ECU isn't actually running the engine, it ain't gonna pass.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

gernby, curious why you had to have an inspection if your car is a 2008? I guess maybe the laws where you live are stricter, but even in CA, you don't have to get a smog check for the first 5 years.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

IIRC, new cars go 2 years before 1st inspection, then every year for all other cars. It's primarily a safety inspection with emissions tacked on. They check the tires, windshield wipers, lights, brakes, e-brake, etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Dec 28 2010, 09:58 AM
BTW, I really doubt any of these hybrid / piggy-back ECU setups would pass an OBDII inspection. When I had mine done a couple weeks ago, I was amazed at all the tests that the OBDII testing machine did to validate the tests. It apparently tells the ECU to perform certain actions to create certain conditions that are verified by the inspector. Basically, if the OBDII ECU isn't actually running the engine, it ain't gonna pass.
I'm not going to post exactly how on a public forum but yes it have been done many times with different setups. The way the standalone operates in parallel it does not affect the OBD operation of the stock ecu. Honestly the test they do fail is on the visual.

Originally Posted by gernby,Dec 28 2010, 09:58 AM
Would you guys post the final before / after plot with SAE correction, since it's obvious the dyno tests were done many days apart?
Will do.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:07 PM

I have the Haltech Platinum sport 1000 w/Plug-in play harness, My s2000 was used for a base map for this ECU since haltech did not have one at the time when I got it, Took them 4 weeks to make the plug and play harness but so worth it. Used it on my Supercharged setup and did not even need a aftermarket Map sensor because this ECU has an internal 2.5 bar map sensor! High quality = high price!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:43 AM

yep that's about right. i had a huge gain in midrange with my Giles black e-mu. but the onry difference is, it self tunes to any bolt on mods i put on so that means i don't have to revisit a tuner if i just changed out the intake or something. but in any case, good gains there op
Old 12-29-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hirevs2k,Dec 29 2010, 04:43 AM
yep that's about right. i had a huge gain in midrange with my Giles black e-mu. but the onry difference is, it self tunes to any bolt on mods i put on so that means i don't have to revisit a tuner if i just changed out the intake or something. but in any case, good gains there op
When you are talking about "self tuning" are you referring to closed-loop O2 control?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crispeed,Dec 28 2010, 11:29 PM
I'm not going to post exactly how on a public forum but yes it have been done many times with different setups. The way the standalone operates in parallel it does not affect the OBD operation of the stock ecu. Honestly the test they do fail is on the visual.

Will do.
I don't know if all states perform the same OBDII tests, but I don't see how something like this would pass the test they perform in Dallas, TX. Only some cities in Texas require this test.

If the OBDII testing machine commanded the ECU to force a lean condition, then test for the lean condition, how would that work with the Haltech?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:55 AM

this thread has totally been jacked..... nice info about the new haltech i must say but guys im really looking fwd to see whats up with the AP1...
so if yall dont mind lets see some update on the car.... please
Happy Holidays
Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by gernby,Dec 29 2010, 06:45 AM
I don't know if all states perform the same OBDII tests, but I don't see how something like this would pass the test they perform in Dallas, TX. Only some cities in Texas require this test.

If the OBDII testing machine commanded the ECU to force a lean condition, then test for the lean condition, how would that work with the Haltech?
I'm not going to argue since it's obvious you know what the 'OBDII testing machine' commands on the test.

Quick Reply: Just tuned my Ap2 on Haltech Sport 1000.. +26whp!