S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

j35-37 swap.. sh-adw diff and steering rack EPS

Old 07-24-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default j35-37 swap.. sh-adw diff and steering rack EPS

Hi guys..
I have 2 tech things to ask as a opinion maybe more honda or acura tech guys that actualy work at honda can help on this... as a tech-mechanic ..a real prpfesional that got proper honda training..
2 things are bugging my mind ..
1st is how can i better the steering feedback on the s2000 from the EPS.. what i can think and maybe try is that our car is pretty analog(in terms of interconnected ecu systems in the car) and maybe a steering rack from another honda can be used to solve this and better the steering feedback that our car is missing.. i noticed this missing when i went to drive a gt86 or a scion frs in the states.. also i drove a new 991 model 911 carrera and really liked how the steering felt and that made me think how numb is the s2000 steering feel. And you can read this in almost all reviews of the s2000 from the magazines..
I have had a euro civic FN2 that has an EPS and really liked how it had feedback from the road..
So my siggestion is .. can another steering rack be fitted and made to work with our s2000 to get what honda didnt get with the original rack? Maybe a civic rack or some other EPS honda rack..
This is me shooting some ideas with no tech background on it.. why i say the rack and not geometry or suspension design is that in almost all reviews i see car testers comment on feedback from the steering compared to older models different types hydro type compared to electric ..like the bewer 911 are.. the older model wasnt electric but all that drove the newer said that porsche nailed it with the electric one and that on the gt3 the software for it was specialy developed to get as close as tothe hydro one on the last gt3 and that the hardware of the. EPS was basicaly the same with other 911 just the software for the steering was different.
I know that when you drive the s2000 longer u get used to it but when you drive an other car that offers more feedback you notice whats missing from the s2000.. even a civic will do that.. a better feeling of the road trough the steering.. not just turn the wheel and see where the car goes.. but feel how the car reacts to your steering inputs..
I dont know if somewhere this is covered on the forum or someone tackled this before bit its a good discussion to be had and maybe we can solve it.. none of the stifening of the current rack or so will get where we need to go i think.. its needs a new unit and a new eps ecu ..
I think i read somewhere when they were makingthe drift s2000 with the k24 that they used a rx7 or some other steering rack.. and that it basicaly was bolt on maybe.. but i dont remember correctly..

Second thing is that u want to put a j37 or a j35 engine in the s2000.. but to go one step further..
Use the Sh-Awd rear diff on the s2000 too.. but this calls for million other things..
As far as i read the sh-awd uses lots of stuff to work as on my legend (RL) does.. it uses as far as i read ..steering angle.. vsa.. yaw . Speed of the veachle.. gear of the auto tranny..probably gyros.. but the tech aspect of the rear diff is amazing.. it can overdrive the outside cornering wheel almost 6% compared to the inner wheel via a planetary gear which is clutch activated on the input side of the diff and with the electronic clutch packs on the shafts you can perfectly distribute from 0-100% power to each wheel based on grip.. and thats the perfect lsd.. now the distribution of the sh-awd is front to back also but front consists of equal force to each front wheel.
From what i read.. the rear clutch pack power distribution across each wheel only works under power and that basicaly means no involvment when off power when entering a corner when you can use the clutch of the inner wheel to brake the wheel and help with cornering..if it could break it ,it would be great..i dont think it does but i am not 100%sure.
Too bad honda didnt put this technology in the sports aplication it could have with a new s2000 if they came up withone.. but that will never happend now since even if they do that now it would be with twin electric motors in the rear axle like the new rlx.. which is better and more clever but adds weight. Of motors and batteries..and so on..
Anyway this can be solved in 2 ways
1. Use honda systems and they R&D on the working of the rear diff and getting around somehow the MIL's the ecus will throw when you use their system on another aplication.. like missing auto tranny and other stuff. If there is a way to disable this and let the system work with the basic info it needs..speed..yaw.angle and so on.. probably gyro sensors it has..i dont know..
2.nd thing is to have a custom ecu do this and work the rear diff. But this involves testing and many other things to have it working better than the oem torsen lsd we have.. there are many items it needs to work.. sensors that continualy check the state of the clutch bite on each shaft so it can apply the right amount each time it uses the clutch and so on..a pretty complicated system i might add..and not mention countless hrs honda engeneers did to make it work perfectly..so useing their logic on another ecu is basicaly best.. but..
and it would be best if i can use the carbon mainshaft that the honda uses on the rl.. considering the diff fits on the s2000 and the mechanical side of the conversion is sound..
This all i write is that i bought a honda legend kb1 from the scrap yard ..and some day convert the s2000 to a j35 with its clever diff.
Until recently the ecu of the rl or legend cant be tuned but i see that k-tuner released an obd tuner system that everything can be acessed on the motor ecu side(timing -fuel vtec)..but none on the tranny side or other stuff.yet.
Anyway i urge people that want to write nonsense as a reply on the topic not to do it.. i never wanted to post this and had it all in my mind but i tought why not.. maybe someone already tought of this or about this and got some ideas or some work done..
Only positive and constructive replys would be great..
Thanks-
Old 09-19-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeez that is hard to read.

first question or theory if you will: have read that Chris Js s2000 drift car used the FD rx7 rack yes, but i believe this was to increase the max steering angle from the stock s2k rack. secondly, if you don't like the factory rack, go look for a VGS s2000 rack. vgs stands for variable geometry steering.

second question or theory. SH-AWD doesn't have any manual transmissions offered (that i know of). J swaps can be done for sure. don't know much about the diff. the Carbon Fiber RL/SH drive shaft is likely going to be out of the picture due to the length. the S2000 isnt that long, and the transmission is damn near the center of the car. Carbon fiber driveshafts are not going to be anywhere near as easy to modify the carrier or length of a metal one. you could likely get the SHAWD diff to work with a lot of code or fooling the stock computer but that will take some serious effort to work with a manny tranny. I do not believe the differential it self slows down the individual inside rear tire, the brake system does.

all these questions would likely have more answers if you adjusted your formatting. good luck