S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

intake ideas?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intake ideas?

Has anyone tried or thought of using water to air intercoolers as an intake on a NA application? Bear with me now...

Wouldn't a barrel type water to air a few inches before the tb be effective on lower iats a fair amount?
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...f43734d065fc8b

Similar to that one. Then going to a tube to a filter thru a heat shield like the k&n fipk.

On a 235-275 whp NA motor.would it help? If not looking at the money aspect of course?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would think it could be beneficial if you run ice cold water in there since cold air packs more O2 to burn the gas injected due to its higher density

if you try it, than dyno post the results
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The only way that any sort of intercooler could help an NA system is if you were to actively cool the unit with ice or freon, nitrous, or something. Any decent intake will already deliver intake air that is so close to ambient that any other cooling device would have no benefit.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 AM

Really? I just figured since the water is constantly moving in and out.taking heat out of the air with the water leaving.and most people put ice into the water box( but the ice melts after a few passes) but I could see how it may not benefit. Just a thought that could be cool if I could get more backing thoughts of working good
Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If there was a way to make the device cool the intake air by some amount, that probably still wouldn't be enough benfit to compensate for the restriction in flow that would be caused by the heat exchanger. If I was going to test the effects of something like this, I would simply run cold water through the stock throttle body. If you replace the TB gasket with heat sync grease, maybe you could get enough heat transfer to reduce the temp of the IM a few degrees too.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM

i got my intakes temps to ambient by heat wrapping my CAI with header heat wrap. then, i poured cold water on the the wrap and soaked it. sure the water can evaporate but it takes a while for that to happen and sure the water can warm up after a while too, but i can always pour more water on it.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 AM

Hm.gernby you've lead me to another potential idea.for a stock tb users(unlike myself) where the coolant goes thru reroute the coolant and route a line that runs cold water thru.(pump.lines.and heat exchanger like the water to air but a smaller effect? Just tossing ideas haha...I am currently running a duct to the filter of the intake from the bumper and a tube like evasive has to the intake Mani.trying to get colder lol
Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting idea, but I don't ever see it overcoming the extra weight and restriction.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember building a Dry ice box around a aluminum intake tube with a small venting fan on the side. You don't have to worry about draining it like normal water. Dry Ice evaporates. And this actually worked. lol
Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The restriction would negate any gains from cooler air.. probably even cost you power.

Back in 2006ish chevy did an NA cobalt land speed car with a 2.4 eco-tec motor that had a setup that boiled down to a coil in a can.. they ran liquid nitrogen or helium through the coil to cool the incoming air. I never heard if they had any success w/the car and never heard anything else out of the company that developed the "cooler", so I assume it was a waste of everyones time.

you'd have to drop the air temp at least 30deg before it made any real difference.

Quick Reply: intake ideas?