S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Installing Wideband sensor in High Flow Cat ?

Old 03-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts
Default Installing Wideband sensor in High Flow Cat ?

I have an AEM wideband sensor kit to install on my ap1. Id rather not pull the header off to drill through it, so I'm thinking of putting the bung into the front section of the HFC, so only 3-4 inches from the end of the header. Any issues with me doing this in terms of accurate readings ?, if not then this would be my preferred installation area. Thanks for reading, and any replies on this.

Joey
Old 03-04-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I think that is perfectly fine. I was always under the impression that as long as it was b4 the cat it was good to go.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

What do the installation instruction say? A buddy just installed this (or similar sensor) in his AP1 (in preparation for a supercharger) and pulled the exhaust manifold for a neat installation near the front O2 sensor. I'm thinking that location was chosen to avoid the extreme heat of the catalytic converter. Placement needs to be as close to the engine as feasible and pick up all cylinders hence where it's positioned.

His engine bay is pretty empty at present and it was simple to drop the exhaust manifold out the bottom, drill and well the bung, and replace it.

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2016, 04:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Where ya gonna install it in a high flow cat? There's very little room in mine to put a bung. I'm mildly interested in an air/fuel gauge just for curiosity and to confirm the readings from the stock AF meter (AP2 engine has one).

<------------Front Rear----------->

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
I think that is perfectly fine. I was always under the impression that as long as it was b4 the cat it was good to go.
Yeah I was thinking the front of the HFC is still in front of the cat. brick which should work. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Where ya gonna install it in a high flow cat? There's very little room in mine to put a bung. I'm mildly interested in an air/fuel gauge just for curiosity and to confirm the readings from the stock AF meter (AP2 engine has one).

-- Chuck
That is the same cat I have, so it would go in the front section ahead of the cat brick, the closer to the header the better. I don't have heatshields on mine. The wideband instructions don't say much, just not to install the sensor horizontally due to condensation issues.

I just want to know if my car is running lean or rich, maybe to a mild street tune with my Apexi NEO. , vtec has been lowered to 5300 so I'd like to see the AFRs in the new vtec range, along with all other rpms. Last season I got some afr's running on a dyno from the tailpipe sniffer after cat, but I didn't trust the readings with them taken so far back and after cat. I decided I'd rater use a wideband if I wanted to get some reliable information.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Let us (me) know how it works. I know the cat gets hotter than the exhaust manifold but don't know what temps the AFR sensor can accommodate. I'm reading the AFR off the AP2 sensor via my FlashPro and iPhone. The DBW versions use a AFR sensor.

I don't have a heat shield on my cat either . Highway rock (chunk of rolling concrete) hit it and broke the front tabs making the shields rattle. I'll try to reinstall it later this spring.

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
This is the wrong placement. Wideband Sensor needs to be before the cat to get an accurate representation of of your afr. If its after the cat as depicted here, the reading is useless. The cat filters the results, and readings will be significantly leaner then actual and likely be more inconsistent as well.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by Chuck S' timestamp='1457183422' post='23899806

-- Chuck
This is the wrong placement. Wideband Sensor needs to be before the cat to get an accurate representation of of your afr. If its after the cat as depicted here, the reading is useless. The cat filters the results, and readings will be significantly leaner then actual and likely be more inconsistent as well.
Junky, his picture doesn't have a wideband sensor shown, just the secondary o2 sensor. I was suggesting installing the wideband sensor on the front section of the HFC, before the cat converter brick, so would that be okay ?
Old 03-05-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

I don't see any problems putting the sensor in front of the cat core.
Go for it

Quick Reply: Installing Wideband sensor in High Flow Cat ?