S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

how high can you safely rev a stock F20c?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It burned oil pretty bad. It just got low one too many times
Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, not trying to be a pain here but why would you want to risk pushing the engines limits beyond its capabilities?

Most people think you can raise the rev limiter or slap a turbo on a car and be done with it and not suffer any consequences. Cars like the S2000, Evo or WRX IMO are as souped up from the factory as they should be. Once you start adding mods that push the limits of the OEM engine components, things will start to break.

A machine is only as strong as its weakest part. Running juice or too much boost w/o upgrading OEM parts whether it be pistons, rings, seals, or anything else for that matter will cause failure. If you installed a turbo / intercooler and ran ungodly boost, lets pretend you throw a rod because you didn’t upgrade to better pistons / rings... so you rebuild... running 26# again with upgraded pistons and rings... The next weaker component that cant handle the mod will break.

And mods such as intakes, exhausts, test pipes on my car do nothing much more than make the car sound like crap... I’m not saying they do nothing at all, but I have seen plenty of bone stock s2000s beat s2000s with those mods and seen them be angry about it.

I guess if you’re ready to deal with rebuilding / replacing an engine, it’s your decision to risk it. I just hate to see such a badass car blow up their engines.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your missing the big picture. Honda made compromises just like any car builder. Can you build better than OEM, yep. Can you increase reliability, yep. End the end it is just a car, and just money. Do what you want with it. But you answered your own question "why do we try to go beyond the limit."

To break it.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermdaddy,Oct 29 2010, 01:18 PM
Your missing the big picture. Honda made compromises just like any car builder. Can you build better than OEM, yep. Can you increase reliability, yep. End the end it is just a car, and just money. Do what you want with it. But you answered your own question "why do we try to go beyond the limit."

To break it.
Oh, I get it... And I realize people mod to push the limits, but I seriously doubt anyone here mods with the intent to push over the limits with the end goal to break things. I'm just saying that many times these mods are being installed without the big picture in mind, which is that the OEM equipment at some point will not be able to handle the stress and break.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LMB2000,Oct 29 2010, 07:45 PM
You know, not trying to be a pain here but why would you want to risk pushing the engines limits beyond its capabilities?
It's written on the first page of this thread
Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LMB2000,Oct 29 2010, 11:43 AM
Oh, I get it... And I realize people mod to push the limits, but I seriously doubt anyone here mods with the intent to push over the limits with the end goal to break things. I'm just saying that many times these mods are being installed without the big picture in mind, which is that the OEM equipment at some point will not be able to handle the stress and break.
like this?
http://www.freewebsites.com/dan/9.jpg

I don't wanna lose an engine but its probably going to happen at some point
Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB2000,Oct 29 2010, 02:43 PM
Honda does what all manufacturers do. They tune the car conservatively to minimize warranty claims, and improve reliability. If an enthusiast is willing to accept a small increase in risk in favor of significant increases in performance, what's wrong with that?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too have the same issue at some tracks Dan. It would be nice to be able to hold the gear I am in for a couple of seconds more rather than shifting (esp. to 5 which makes for a 5-4-3 downshift). Would be interested to know how a n/a ap1 w/ap2 retainers will take some slight over-rev or even just resting on the limit as close as I can keep it.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't bother with ap2 retainers. If you are going to do the work put aftermarket springs and retainers in it and turn it 9500.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

any recommendations on aftermarket springs/retainers?
i'll try the search now!

Quick Reply: how high can you safely rev a stock F20c?