S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Header... Berk, Rick's, or Megan

Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any dynos of the ARK?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:59 AM

if you're supercharging, don't bother with any of those headers. if you're staying n/a, ricks or berks are great choices for ap1.

you will pick up good midrange power with both. and both are heat protected: the ricks reuses the stock heatshield, the berk can come coated. megan is worthless as any power you may gain is negated by heatsoak unless you're hood is vented.

keep in mind with either the berks or ricks you will lose top end power. no way around it...it's how the header is designed. i lost 5hp up top with my ricks after tuning, but picked up 6-8hp throughout the whole low to mid end. that being said, don't even notice the 5 lost up top.

you have to get your car tuned with either if you get one though. you will run much leaner and probably be losing much more power up top until you do.

oh and i think both are a good 12 - 13 lbs lighter than stock too
Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sticky2k,Feb 18 2009, 11:47 AM
Have any dynos of the ARK?
We're working on it...
Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by lilgookiemonsta,Feb 17 2009, 07:02 PM
i read that a guy got 9whp out of a megan with a good tune.. hence why i gave the megan a try
should be here by the end of the week! now i get to get the hondata reflash! yay! lol
there's no way. and look at what he added also...and exhaust and test pipe. it's been proven over and over a test pipe will give you about 5hp, that leaves 4 hp to split between the exhaust and header.

i'd say something like a 70/30 hp split between exhaust and header. he didn't throw the header in there, tune, and get 9hp. everyone would be all over this header if that was the case. hell the j's is one of the best out there...gives you 12hp top end for $1200. don't know anyone that would pay that if you could get 9hp top end for $300.

it's the sum of the other parts that make up that dyno...not the megan header.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 PM

ark ? ug.. you guys have coilovers, headers, exhausts, and everything looks like it came right off the boat from an exporter with new colors and a logo.. you made a 1 grand header yet.. you don't have a single dyno.

Can you take and post some pictures of your shop/company for all us to show your not just a re badged company thats selling crap. ??
Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 PM

just get the megan header, port and smooth out the primaries and get their test pipe, gains will be good and you'll save money....tuning with a vafc or neo and call it a day
Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 AM

for the price of port and polishing, you're basically coming up to the price of the rick's or berks which are definetly the better headers here.

tuning must be done either way.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hero,Feb 18 2009, 07:59 PM
megan is worthless as any power you may gain is negated by heatsoak unless you're hood is vented.
Has anyone any data to prove this or is it the usual internet ?

TBH, the bonnet (hood) of an S is aluminium - a very good heat conducter.

Remove the sound deadening and the bonnet will act as a pretty decent heat sink.

I'm running a HKS 4-1 manifold (Header) which I bought purely for the weight saving.

I have a Fujita F5 so no worry of heat soak there.

Still, I would like to see temperature data from underneath the bonnet. Someone must have some or they wouldn't be going on about it
Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Mar 21 2009, 10:20 PM
Has anyone any data to prove this or is it the usual internet ?

TBH, the bonnet (hood) of an S is aluminium - a very good heat conducter.

Remove the sound deadening and the bonnet will act as a pretty decent heat sink.

I'm running a HKS 4-1 manifold (Header) which I bought purely for the weight saving.

I have a Fujita F5 so no worry of heat soak there.

Still, I would like to see temperature data from underneath the bonnet. Someone must have some or they wouldn't be going on about it
you can call bs again if you want...but i'm still right. there's a reason the stock header comes with a heatshield.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hero,Mar 22 2009, 03:43 AM
you can call bs again if you want...but i'm still right. there's a reason the stock header comes with a heatshield.
I'm thinking the heat may be an issue if you track or race the car correct? Do you think it will cause problems in summer weather for a weekend warrior?

Quick Reply: Header... Berk, Rick's, or Megan