S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

getting more power while keeping N/A

Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting more power while keeping N/A

ok this is probably been posted over a hundred times by now, i just haven't found them so please don't flag me too much here. However i have a 2002 s2k and I'm trying to pull more power from the motor without spending big bucks on a turbo or supercharger that requires more than just the kit but also reinforcing the internals. So the question is how do I pull more usable, cost effective ( as in its worth the price), and reliable HP.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.4 liter stroker, however it not cost effective. The only cost effective route is booooooooooooooooooooost.

This engine is highly tuned in stock form. Headers, retune, intake, all the normal mods just bearly give a little something.

And by the way a mild boost is very reliable.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 AM

i was really hoping you weren't going to say that. thats pretty much what I've discovered as well but was doing my very best to avoiding boost. in that case however what is required to strengthen the internals and what turbo kit is the most cost effective and provides mild boost?

Originally Posted by DaGou
2.4 liter stroker, however it not cost effective. The only cost effective route is booooooooooooooooooooost.

This engine is highly tuned in stock form. Headers, retune, intake, all the normal mods just bearly give a little something.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that there is a group buy going on right now for the 2.4L stroker kit.

Here:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...roker-kitrods/
Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The internals on the stock engine can handle up to 400hp with ease (based on all the owners out there with FI). Unless you plan on going much more than 450-500hp, your reliability should be fine.

Plenty of FI kits out there - depends on what your final goal is? Mild boost, say 100hp more, go with the SoS kits (stage 1). If you want alot more power and torque, you are also looking at tuning as well as upgrading the exhaust system (might have to upgrade that anyway). Take a look at the FI section and read all about it.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGou

I don't think you can call these gains little. Green is stock and blue is modded with bolt on's and E85 fuel. They were not done on the same day.

The complete mod list is here:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...tepped-intake/
Old 06-20-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A healthy engine can handle plenty more than 400whp, more like 600-700. The most reliable boost is to supercharge it, not as stressful on the engine like a turbo, and people hit 400+ 24/7 with very unintrusive mods. No relocation of anything required, no building of the engine required, just bolt on, tune and go. You'll need injectors, fuel pump and EMS for anything over 300 though. Otherwise just get a base SOS / Comptech kit, hit 300whp on stock everything and have fun.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:29 PM

Im about to bombard you with questions so please forgive me. where did you find the info for the max power of what the stock engine can handle? why would you say supercharge over turbo? what makes it "less stressful" than a turbo because i have heard it the other way around. I have looked at SOS and i really like what they have but I'm also a college student with a barely above minim job while pay for school too so $5 is something id like to avoid but if not i guess ill have to wait and research a bit more. but what others would you recommend then? turbonetics, ect?

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
A healthy engine can handle plenty more than 400whp, more like 600-700. The most reliable boost is to supercharge it, not as stressful on the engine like a turbo, and people hit 400+ 24/7 with very unintrusive mods. No relocation of anything required, no building of the engine required, just bolt on, tune and go. You'll need injectors, fuel pump and EMS for anything over 300 though. Otherwise just get a base SOS / Comptech kit, hit 300whp on stock everything and have fun.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 PM

thanks man I'm just trying to find the right setup for me. though why would you recommend the SOS supercharger kit over the turbo? also are there any other brands that are cheaper that you would recommend?

Originally Posted by Reckon
The internals on the stock engine can handle up to 400hp with ease (based on all the owners out there with FI). Unless you plan on going much more than 450-500hp, your reliability should be fine.

Plenty of FI kits out there - depends on what your final goal is? Mild boost, say 100hp more, go with the SoS kits (stage 1). If you want alot more power and torque, you are also looking at tuning as well as upgrading the exhaust system (might have to upgrade that anyway). Take a look at the FI section and read all about it.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dudes don't rattle this poor boys brain with turbo/SC debate! I will try not to say what is better here. Turbo's use the exhaust gas to spin the compressor therefore you have more heat in the engine bay. This is not a killer it is just what it is. Turbo's need bigger exhausts to breath. Strapping a SC on is a easier installation. The big difference is in the power curves. Turbo's give you more power and more torque at a lower RPM. SCs are linear with RPM. Driving my SC around town under 3K RPM you would not even know it was boosted. With today's turbos if properely sized you do not have to worry about turbo lag either. I am SC'ed and if were starting over I am still not sure what I would pick. Turbo's have the potential to go to 700HP.

Now remember any over 400HP and you have to start thinking about the rest of the car. Heavy duty clutch, upgraded rear-end, exhaust, bigger radiator, fans, oil cooling, and list can go on and on and on. Of course you can have a 500HP car and never drive it or drive it like a granny, but what is the point.

As stated about from what you are saying a basic Stage 1 kit banging on 100HP seems to be your best bet. Also as mentioned above(Iceman_S2K, you are wise for your 10 posts) go to the FI section, there are a 1000 pages of info there. I do caution it is a slipperly slope of a money pit to go down. If you are thinking about ever selling your S remember no one seems to want to buy a boosted S. I must have 20K on my 20K investment, and I would be lucky to sell it for 25K as is. You get nothing for the time and money you put into the car. You will have to return it stock to get your money out of it. My advise is to enjoy the car as is. Learn it and push it, become one with it grasshopper. Then if you really need that extra 100 to 200 HP crack open your check book and say good bye to your girl friend. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: getting more power while keeping N/A