S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

FIPK w/ AUT Plate vs Stock Set-up with K&N filter

Old 10-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this test.

This is actually what I've felt from my driving with this set-up. More power during spirited driving(cooler temps) and more bog at stop lights(heat soak).
Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

NICE WORK
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Scangauge II which I've used to monitor and compare IAT temps since I installed my FIPK + AUT plate. I love how fast the combo cools the IAT down when the car starts moving, but the increased heat bog from a standstill is a bit dissapointing. Still, its a reasonable tradeoff I suppose. Nice to see someone with the same results.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

With the stock intake, there really is nothing giving it a direct cold air source, thus your results on IATs look consistent assuming you are the one with the FIPK and he has the stock box. Who has what wasn't mentioned...

But, what you REALLY should have done was swapped the AUT plate from your car to his, and find out how much of the result was from that, and not the FIPK itself...I'd bet the AUT plate with stock box performs similarly.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember that by blocking off the radiator using the cooling plate you are not letting cool air hit the coil packs. They perform best when cold and will die if not cooler properly.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scareyourpassenger,Oct 27 2010, 09:45 AM
Just remember that by blocking off the radiator using the cooling plate you are not letting cool air hit the coil packs. They perform best when cold and will die if not cooler properly.
My seat of the pants-o-meter agrees with the results above. More so the bogging from idle rather than increased performance at speed. i didn't feel a difference from removing the lid of the stock air box.

@ Scareyourpassenger - what coil packs are you talking about? Also, the cooling plate doesn't block the radiator at all, it replaces the stock shroud to allow more air through the grille to get to the intake.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scareyourpassenger,Oct 27 2010, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure what you're saying here. I assume that it's a typo that the cooling plate blocks the radiator, but I can't think of any coil packs that would overheat by adding a cooling plate. If you are referring to the ignition coils, I believe they will be cooled more by the radiator than anything else, unless you remove the cover that hides them. I've also never heard of any reason to cool them. Obviously Honda doesn't think they need to be cooled either.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the other two...Honda putting that cover on them certainly hinders cooling the coil packs, and the air going over the radiator would do very little for them with that cover.

Personally, I am concerned with this heat and the coil packs as heat does help shorten the life of any coil pack (look at VW's). Thus I normally have that plate removed, especially on track days...not for performance, but to hopefully improve the life of the coil packs. However, I'm not concerned with a cooling plate not providing them fresh air.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I've been on the boards for awhile and I don't remember hardly any coil pack failures on stock cars. Only on high hp boosted cars that it was thought the OEM coilpack was not adequate.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not sure what you are referring to either?!?!? The cooling plate doesn't block off the radiator.

Here's a pic from local member Ddonovan.

Quick Reply: FIPK w/ AUT Plate vs Stock Set-up with K&N filter