S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Feezy's Toda ITB Build and Discussion Thread

Old 09-17-2019 | 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Does these Toda surge tanks really fit LHD cars without removing the brake booster?
As the other guys said, it's tight, but it fits. The biggest problem is clearance to get under and close the two bottom latches.
Old 09-17-2019 | 12:38 PM
10 Year Member

Yeah I know all too well how limited the space is around there
Seems there wont be much clearance inside the tank with those long trumpets.
Old 09-17-2019 | 02:29 PM

Toda has an overlay of the 88mm trumpets in their box:

Most of us have the 88mm trumpets, but I have heard of people having good luck with the 66mm trumpets inside the box. At some point I might give them a try.
Old 09-21-2019 | 12:40 AM
15 Year Member

Old 04-10-2020 | 08:35 AM
Site Moderator
10 Year Member

Not a place to promote or sell stuff.
Old 12-06-2020 | 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by St00k
Sure does, what makes you think it doesn’t?

what header is this?
Old 12-06-2020 | 07:14 PM
Banned
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by FGpusher
what header is this?
This is the Origin Fabrication shop or owner car, I think. Most likely a 321 stainless header made by him.
Old 08-10-2022 | 12:06 PM

8.6.2022 - Intake Manifold Removal / Toda ITB Mock-up

I woke up Saturday morning and decided I was tired of having all these parts that I had dreamed of since I was a kid sitting in storage. The only way I was going to make any significant progress on the project was to get started and solve problems as they arise. It's over 100 here still with various levels of humidity due to us being in the middle of monsoon season... it's safe to say this wasn't one of my better ideas.

I started pulling the Intake manifold, alternator, belt tensioner thing, and whatever else needed to be done. Outside of the bottom bolt close to the firewall the removal was relatively painless.It took about half a day with me working slowly and methodically to not knock the hood or fenders with tools, and to label everything that was removed or unclipped. Dealing with the coolant, and the fuel in the lines was the worst of it really.

Once the Manifold was removed I started cleaning everything up. Wiping down the stray coolant and fuel, disposing of all of that, and ended up mopping the floors. I knew I'd be spending some time under the car doing some other work and I figured it would be best to not be sliding around over dried sticky coolant. I assembled all the pieces that I took off the manifold loosely so it's together, and I know what I need to remove should it ever need to go back on the car.

With everything cleaned and tools reorganized I pulled the box that has the throttles and all the associated parts I have been collecting over the years. Took everything out and attached the trumpets and backing play to the manifold to drop it in for the first mock up. I secured it with the two top nuts to put it into roughly the correct space. After that I went to test fit the box as well as the intake arm. To my surprise the box was a much tighter fit than I had initially expected. It doesn't really clear the heater line that comes off of the metal line from the firewall, and hugs the brake booster. I had to pull it out of the way to get the box in, and boy oh boy I have a feeling that the far back bottom latch for the tank is going to be a nightmare to secure when everything is in place.

Here are a couple pictures of the throttles, surge tank, and intake elbow in place. The couplers are temporary things. I bought them because I thought having some more flex in the system would be better for the box longevity, however I really don't like how they look. I have other ones that I have yet to open but with everything coming right back out I didn't think it was worthwhile. Pardon all the pictures being Iphone shots. I'll have the wife take better pictures as I progress but I didn't feel the need for extravagant pictures at this point.

Old 08-11-2022 | 01:08 PM

8.6.2022 - Intake Manifold Removal / Toda ITB Mock-up

Couple more updates that I didn't include in the first post. The TODA ISCV tube is part of the K-Series set up that Toda sells for use for the F20 kit. The instructions have you zip tie it to the fuel rail... needless to say that wasn't going to happen. I ended up sending my ITB kit off to Origin Fabrication to have it modified to be hard mounted. Studs were added, and several additional parts were fabbed up so that the the ISCV Tube ((basically a vacuum block) could be mounted to sit along side the fuel rail. There is also some relocation of the actual ISCV/IACV unit (off of a K20 car) that occurs. I'll go more into the specifics as I take more pictures and get further into the process. Here is what it looks like when it's all in place.

One of the things that needed to be modified was the mounting brackets that Toda included. They wanted the zip tie carriers to mount to this, and then you zip tie though them. Once the studs were added to the ISCV I can mout it directly to this, but I needed to enlarge the holes to accept the studs. I wasn't sure if I was going to use the second of third slot so I opened them both with a vice and a drill. I figured absolute precision wasn't critical here so I went for it. After I used my Dremmel to de-burr everything. As you can see in the above picture they work beautifully and the ISCV chamber is exactly where you would expect it. Now that I know they fit and everything lines up they are off to powdercoat.

Last thing here is the coolant line that no longer has a home with the new manifold. I believe this is the line that normally passes through the throttle body and with the OEM throttle not existing anymore this line needs a home. I've seen people cap it, but with me living in Arizona and the heat we see I wasn't a fan of that as a long term solution. @Dark Regent mentioned in the ITB thread that he solved the problem by adding a T fitting to the line above, and using a hose he found both from O'Reilly's. The part numbers are as follows:

Gates 18131 Hose
Murray 84520 5/8" to 1/4" T Fitting

I did the same and this is the result.

I'm not positive that this solution will work yet as neither he nor I have gotten the cars running and bled the coolant. I've gone through the coolant flow diagrams and it all looks like it should be fine. I will report back once I can confirm. It's a very simple solution that only costs about $10 iirc.

I have lots and lots more updates on the way. I have been in the garage solving, and then creating, and solving lots of little issues. All the throttles are back out of the car so I have room to play around with the new sensor locations as well as the new fuel system. More to come!
The following users liked this post:
kenstyle (08-29-2022)
Old 08-31-2022 | 03:32 PM

8.7.2022 - Powdercoated Heater Line & ISCV Stays

I'm super fortunate to have a powdercoater who understand me on a spiritual level and turns my parts around at lightning speed for me. I dropped these off in the morning and had them back that afternoon. The heater line was looking dated so while everything was apart I pulled it to have it coated black so that it blends in. The stays I needed to modify were also done.

Jumping ahead a bit, but the line looks excellent installed in the car.