S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Exhaust Guru's needed

Old 02-16-2016, 04:07 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

The stock exhaust was just lacking in a performance sound so I fitted the Invidia Q300 and a Berk high flow cat based on hearing sound clips on the web. BIG MISTAKE. In the first place the microphone on cameras clips the noise level during recording and in the second place our PCs can't reproduce it anyway.

The Q300 lasted about a month before I tired of the headache inducing noise and drone at cruising speeds. Replaced the Q300 with the Tanabe Medalion Touring Dual. Very nice performance sound. The Speed Academy BADASS2000 track car has this exhaust remain road legal and meet the noise restrictions of some tracks. They call it "gentlemanly."

Hear whatever exhaust you're considering on the car! At speed. Inside the car.

-- Chuck
Old 02-16-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The stock exhaust was just lacking in a performance sound so I fitted the Invidia Q300 and a Berk high flow cat based on hearing sound clips on the web. BIG MISTAKE. In the first place the microphone on cameras clips the noise level during recording and in the second place our PCs can't reproduce it anyway.

The Q300 lasted about a month before I tired of the headache inducing noise and drone at cruising speeds. Replaced the Q300 with the Tanabe Medalion Touring Dual. Very nice performance sound. The Speed Academy BADASS2000 track car has this exhaust remain road legal and meet the noise restrictions of some tracks. They call it "gentlemanly."

Hear whatever exhaust you're considering on the car! At speed. Inside the car.

-- Chuck
I'd really like to hear an exhaust on a car, but sadly I don't live anywhere near a tuner shop, I'm in the middle of corn-fed Indiana.

I too am looking for something with more character than the stock exhaust, but don't want a constant drone annoying fart cannon thing. I like a deep rumble tone like on the T1R EM sparrow dual and HKS SSM, or Tanabe Medalion Dual Tourer. But all I've got to go on is you tube clips.

I've already ruled out the invidia, way too fart cannon sounding even from you tube clips.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Tanabe, sounds pretty close to what I'm looking for, in that I've never heard anybody complain it's too loud.

Again, based just on you tube sound, I like the tone and character of the T1R the best, I just have no way of knowing if they drone at cruise, or are irritatingly Harley straight pipe too loud.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Tanabe is high quality and sounds great. Im particular to the looks and sound of my 7 year old Tanabe Concept G. Its the stock 60 to 50mm dual, but with a quality strait through glass pack muffler which is stated to run 93db. I think with the cat in place and at particular rpm this is true, but thats not realistic for most of us. I can attest there is no annoying fart can drone with this exhaust, none at all, which is rare for aftermarket and sounds almost stock when cruising at freeway speeds under limited load. But when you get on the gas it sings and it makes a beautiful statement without being ear bleeding or rice. So its really the best of both worlds. It sounds like a proper system for this car. Very quality.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had the Skunk2 MegaPower on two different S2k's and have always loved the sound. While it's way louder than stock, most are. But I think the sound is deep and throaty. Pretty much everybody that has ever heard it thinks it sounds great also. And it's interesting 'cause most people haven't heard it as its not that popular. It does drone, but less so than most.

Now...you haven't mentioned though if you have the silencers in? The silencers will significantly quiet it down. It's loud as hell without them. If you don't have them you can buy them for less than $100 for a pair.

Also interesting is that they actually do not reduce peak power output. I've had both cars on the dyno back to back with and without the silencers, and absolutely no difference. In fact, at Evasive just after they got their Mustang dyno, it made 2hp more with the silencers.