S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

In-Depth testing of 60mm Dual vs. 70mm Single

Old 01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_uk,Jan 10 2011, 02:38 PM
you think if I put the stock exhaust back on and got it re-tuned it'd make more power?
I don't think it would make more power with the stock exhaust. I think it would make about the same if you went into the shop, did a few dyno pulls with your current setup, then swapped exhausts and did some more dyno plots. Of course, I don't know how easy it would be to get a good "after" test unless you went for a drive before retesting it, and tried to recreate all the dyno proceedures exactly the same.

When we had out club dyno day, most of the cars made their best numbers on the 3rd pull, but some made their best on the 1st or second. I think I needed a 4th or 5 pull, since my FlashPro datalogs from the Dynojet pulls show that my AFR was 12.2 or richer on all 3 pulls, but was always 12.4 or higher when I do soft dyno pulls.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it definitely affects the AFR's up top but that gave me a thought - maybe the stock exhaust with stock mufflers just gets restrictive up top?

maybe your mufflers flow better at higher rpm's than stock and that might explain why ap1's seem to do better with 70mm?

out of 4 odd dyno sessions the car was always rich up top over 8000rpm's then with the 70mm it wasn't
Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Jan 10 2011, 01:34 PM
I wasn't going to answer this question here, since I want to keep the arguments about the soft dyno over in its own thread. However, I think this question is relevant enough to this thread to go ahead and aswer it.

First, the soft dyno is just as "real" as any dyno. It's just not a "conventional" dyno that people are used to talking about. My education is in engineering, and so was my career until about 4 years ago when I went over in to software development full time. The science behind a DynoJet is pretty basic, and is easy to duplicate using a datalog with high sample rate. Basically, a DynoJet measures output in the same way that my soft dyno does.

Now to answer your question. The reasons why I didn't do the testing on a conventional dyno are:
1) I don't own a conventional dyno, and would NEVER conduct tests like this if they cost me $100 / hour
2) Conventional dynos don't account for changes in weight
2) Conventional dynos don't account for heat soak or IAT's
3) Conventional dynos don't account for air flowing into the front of the car at 80 MPH
4) It's impossible to use a conventional dyno to test a car that is TRULY at normal operating temp, as if it had just come off the highway after cruising at 60 MPH for 30 minutes.
LOL. we've already gone over this on your other thread. LOL at dynos not taking into account heak soak or iat's. trust me if you've actually worked on a dyno and encountered heat soak or changes in iat you WILL see the changes on the graph.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM

I see gernby, i wasn't sure how much it is accurate to other dyno and if you were using same condition (road/gas/etc) on each dyno pulls.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Gernby,

I really like your posts and you've been on here a long time. You have a huge amount of knowledge under your belt.

So with that in mind, I'm just going to say that there's no way a 60mm stock exhaust with different mufflers makes as much power as something like my 75mm HKS exhaust or the new Berk 75mm exhaust.

I'd really like to see a well-executed dyno run comparing your muffler/60mm with 60mm test pipe combo vs the HKS/Berk 3" with a 3" test pipe. I would guess the HKS/Berk put down 6-10 whp more than the 60mm combo. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Thank you for that. I was beginning to think that I was the only one.

A 60mm pipe will only flow so much. A 75mm will flow more guaranteed. But if you have a pipe that goes 60mm then goes up to 75mm, the end result is going to be the flow of the 60mm pipe, not the 75mm. Hence why you didn't gain much with your 70mm.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=H22toF20,Jan 10 2011, 08:50 PM] ^Thank you for that.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by H22toF20,Jan 10 2011, 07:50 PM
^Thank you for that. I was beginning to think that I was the only one.

A 60mm pipe will only flow so much. A 75mm will flow more guaranteed. But if you have a pipe that goes 60mm then goes up to 75mm, the end result is going to be the flow of the 60mm pipe, not the 75mm. Hence why you didn't gain much with your 70mm.
No you not alone. I agree with your previous post too. But gernby points out right about tune/untuned.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.,Jan 10 2011, 06:14 PM
LOL. we've already gone over this on your other thread. LOL at dynos not taking into account heak soak or iat's. trust me if you've actually worked on a dyno and encountered heat soak or changes in iat you WILL see the changes on the graph.
You've already made your biased remarks in several threads, but you seem to ONLY limit your contribution to those biased remarks. It's clear that you make money in some way from a conventional dyno. I believe you either own one, and have to sell time on it, or you sell them.

You didn't even reply about the questions I had regarding your first post in this thread. I'm sure you're a knowledgeable tuner, so why won't you explain your assumption that the 70mm exhaust made no gains because of ignition timing? Why won't you explain how it is that I got very obvious and significant changes in AFR and torque from my PWJDM intake, 60mm test pipe, and T1R header, but NOTHING AT ALL from a 70mm exhaust? I tested each of them individually as well with all stock components, and in combinations with each other. The 70mm exhaust is the ONLY part I've tested that shows virtually no change.

I've never "worked" on a dyno, but I've paid for many, many dyno runs at multiple shops, and have been right there when they were performed. I've never had a run where the car wasn't pulling high IAT's, and the AFR curves have always fluctuated.

You ask me to trust you? Why?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Disgustipated,Jan 10 2011, 10:03 PM
Gernby,

I really like your posts and you've been on here a long time. You have a huge amount of knowledge under your belt.

So with that in mind, I'm just going to say that there's no way a 60mm stock exhaust with different mufflers makes as much power as something like my 75mm HKS exhaust or the new Berk 75mm exhaust.

I'd really like to see a well-executed dyno run comparing your muffler/60mm with 60mm test pipe combo vs the HKS/Berk 3" with a 3" test pipe. I would guess the HKS/Berk put down 6-10 whp more than the 60mm combo. Just my thoughts.
I'm disappointed that the 70mm made no gains, but you can't argue with facts. Whether you put value in a software dyno, or not, you can't argue with the AFRs. If you swap out an exhaust, and it doesn't cause a change in AFR, then it DID NOT CHANGE POWER.

Quick Reply: In-Depth testing of 60mm Dual vs. 70mm Single