S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.
View Poll Results: Which one is better for my 06 AP2 guys ?
CT Engineering intake
60.00%
K&N fipk intake
40.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

CT Engineering intake VS. K&N fipk intake

Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-Jay!
I've had a CT for about a month now and I love it. Sounds good and looks great. The only issue I've had with it is a slight fitment issue. One of the screws for the CF lid doesn't line up with the hole on the airbox correctly, so I'm running it with 3 screws instead of 4. Other than that, it's been wonderful.
I just installed mine two days ago and have mixed feelings about it. The fitment of the cover was crap, to be quite honest (and I purchased a used one that was already modified to fit a bit better by the previous owner). The carbon cover seems to be about 1/2" too narrow and I had to drill one of the holes on it ~1/4" over to line up all 4 screws. This was after finagling the fitment of the box itself for about an hour. My understanding is that the covers are outsourced and I would be surprised if the manufacturer even had a mock-up to test fit on, the cover was that off.. For a $400 piece of plastic, I would have expected a lot better quality control/fitment (Mainly with the carbon cover. The rest of the components fit reasonably well).

Once installed, there are times where I really like the sound (throttle blips to downshift) and times where it's rather "harsh" (it sounds like something is resonating and shaking under the hood ~3-4k rpm full throttle in second gear). I've heard about the lids themselves vibrating, so I may play around with the fitment a bit more to see if I can get it to sit completely flush on the airbox.

Overall, I don't regret getting it but would consider other options if I were to do it again. Plus, I am a huge fan of what it looks like in the bay once installed.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered a CT intake for my 07. Installed it about 3 hours ago, and up until I had a beer & a sandwich I was composing the "For sale" post in my head. Figured I'd post my feelings here and vent a bit.

I found the supplied bracket and idea for relocation of the horn a novel idea and a simple solution for a problem that could have been blown out of proportion. replacement of the coolant lines was self explanatory.

Install was a PITA. The "tightening order" of the bolts was easily understood, but the rear most bolt which you are supposed to start with did not want to line up, took me FAR too long to get it to sit right. After the install of lower portion of the box it looked as though the bolts were tightened too far, and were "pinching" the plastic.

Installing the filter element was straight forward, but the associated plumbing was confusing at best. The elbow running from the filter box to the resonance chamber does not sit straight even after fiddling with it for more time then would be considered appropriate. After the coupler was installed and tightened the fitment was iffy at best,something I'd expect from a knock off eBay intake, not something I spent more money on because of the previous positive experiences I had with the brand. The resonance chamber piping seemed to line up perfectly with the TB, so the offset coupler pulled it out of alignment, as well as having one side larger on the couple then the other and neither side was specified for use (IE: Throttle body side/pipe side) due to the offset coupler tightening seemed ineffective and loose.

Installation of required sensor on the piping was laughable. I had to remove the intake to drill out the port because of the melted plastic remains in the hole, making install impossible. After "cleaning" the hole and using the included hardware the sensor seemed to be mounted less securely then I liked, again akin to a product I'd associate with eBay and not with a company like Comptech/CT.

Unlike some others on here my lid fit almost perfectly from the get go, albeit scratching the hood prop bracket but beyond that installed SEEMED correct. With everything done, I fired the car up, and watched and listened for leaks. Again it seemed to be fine, until I dropped the OEM hood prop. It is not anywhere CLOSE to fitting in with the stock bracket. Since I can't put the hood prop in its proper place it's very difficult to see if the intake itself is rattling or the hood prop. although the hood does close the fact the hood prop doesn't sit right is very frustrating. After all that, the CEL comes on.

Drove it, came home, popped the negative batt cable to kill the cell, cursed a lot, slammed a burger on the grill and drank ½ a six pack, now I'm calm.

I'm not unhappy per se, but from a company that I've always used & recommenced from my previous FWD cars from years past I had high hopes, and had no problem fronting the additional $$. If this was a first attempt it'd be a good one, but these are issues that shouldn't be present on a second or third attempt at a product.

Tl;dr CT is a good company, expected a higher quality product.

Problem 1. Hood prop doesn't fit correct, can't tell If the intake rattles/scrapes, cause the prop is in the way. FIXES ANYONE?!
Problem 2. CEL
Problem 3 I'm out of beer.
The following users liked this post:
Rekka (04-10-2017)
Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by IVIcGurk
Ordered a CT intake for my 07. Installed it about 3 hours ago, and up until I had a beer & a sandwich I was composing the "For sale" post in my head. Figured I'd post my feelings here and vent a bit.

I found the supplied bracket and idea for relocation of the horn a novel idea and a simple solution for a problem that could have been blown out of proportion. replacement of the coolant lines was self explanatory.

Install was a PITA. The "tightening order" of the bolts was easily understood, but the rear most bolt which you are supposed to start with did not want to line up, took me FAR too long to get it to sit right. After the install of lower portion of the box it looked as though the bolts were tightened too far, and were "pinching" the plastic.

Installing the filter element was straight forward, but the associated plumbing was confusing at best. The elbow running from the filter box to the resonance chamber does not sit straight even after fiddling with it for more time then would be considered appropriate. After the coupler was installed and tightened the fitment was iffy at best,something I'd expect from a knock off eBay intake, not something I spent more money on because of the previous positive experiences I had with the brand. The resonance chamber piping seemed to line up perfectly with the TB, so the offset coupler pulled it out of alignment, as well as having one side larger on the couple then the other and neither side was specified for use (IE: Throttle body side/pipe side) due to the offset coupler tightening seemed ineffective and loose.

Installation of required sensor on the piping was laughable. I had to remove the intake to drill out the port because of the melted plastic remains in the hole, making install impossible. After "cleaning" the hole and using the included hardware the sensor seemed to be mounted less securely then I liked, again akin to a product I'd associate with eBay and not with a company like Comptech/CT.

Unlike some others on here my lid fit almost perfectly from the get go, albeit scratching the hood prop bracket but beyond that installed SEEMED correct. With everything done, I fired the car up, and watched and listened for leaks. Again it seemed to be fine, until I dropped the OEM hood prop. It is not anywhere CLOSE to fitting in with the stock bracket. Since I can't put the hood prop in its proper place it's very difficult to see if the intake itself is rattling or the hood prop. although the hood does close the fact the hood prop doesn't sit right is very frustrating. After all that, the CEL comes on.

Drove it, came home, popped the negative batt cable to kill the cell, cursed a lot, slammed a burger on the grill and drank ½ a six pack, now I'm calm.

I'm not unhappy per se, but from a company that I've always used & recommenced from my previous FWD cars from years past I had high hopes, and had no problem fronting the additional $$. If this was a first attempt it'd be a good one, but these are issues that shouldn't be present on a second or third attempt at a product.

Tl;dr CT is a good company, expected a higher quality product.

Problem 1. Hood prop doesn't fit correct, can't tell If the intake rattles/scrapes, cause the prop is in the way. FIXES ANYONE?!
Problem 2. CEL
Problem 3 I'm out of beer.
Haha, this sounds similar to my story, except I was supposed to go to happy hour with my gf but the install took too long (the opposite of your beer problem)... I didn't have any problems with my tubing lining up, though the previous owner already got it all set up as well as replaced the stepped coupler with a straight one.

I agree, the IAT installation is "hokey" at best. Why not provide a rubber grommet to install it properly? (I'm guessing that's also why you had a CEL, you probably turned the key without the sensor plugged in. I did the same exact thing and had to reset it). Overall, the intake just screams of being designed by an intern.

And good call on the hood prop hitting the cover (although mine seemed to fit fine) it may be the cause of the "resonance" noise I'm hearing.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:30 AM

Update: I removed the hood prop to see if its rattling, no rattle or shaking seems to occur but now I have no hood prop. Still on the fence about selling it.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Update: I removed the hood prop to see if its rattling, no rattle or shaking seems to occur but now I have no hood prop. Still on the fence about selling it.
could always get hood dampeners
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
Originally Posted by IVIcGurk' timestamp='1369402207' post='22564340
Not to say i don't want hood dampers, but having to spend X in addition to what I already spent to get a product to function properly isn't what I was looking forward too. I'm going to inspect the CF top and see if it's contacting metal anywhere and possibly sitting too high in the bay. I feel that's the likely culprit.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Totally get the K&N. I seem to hear nothing but bad reviews of the CT intake, especaially in terms of fitment and rattle.
The K&N sounds better, the Comptech looks better.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k' timestamp='1369402897' post='22564369
[quote name='IVIcGurk' timestamp='1369402207' post='22564340']
Not to say i don't want hood dampers, but having to spend X in addition to what I already spent to get a product to function properly isn't what I was looking forward too. I'm going to inspect the CF top and see if it's contacting metal anywhere and possibly sitting too high in the bay. I feel that's the likely culprit.
[/quote]

The only bay I want to my CT icebox in is EBAY. thing is crap
Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Get the K&N FIPK. You won't be disappointed with the sound, the aggressive look, the ability to clean the filter easily, and the easy install. Plus the resonance effect in the elbow makes for a killer sound at VTECH. If you ever tune your car, you will find that the sound in this intake gets even better. I also felt better throttle response at mid to high RPM's when I installed it originally.

The price is very reasonable. It also is easy to sell to forum members who really appreciate this intake over others. The horn does not have to be relocated. Plus you can place different cooling plates that match up to the K&N better than others.

I don't like the fitment on the CT Box personally as I had them in another car. Most importantly, its a personal choice of looks, sound, and performance. For me the FIPK has it all. Look at my gallery and you can see my install pics.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got to agree the CT icebox is a PITA to install. I had to work on the fitment for like 2 hours, and ended up drilling a new hole in the box to line up with a bracket. Also, if you flex the box from forcing it to line up too much, the top cover won't fit either. They should have come up with a better way to secure the intake air temp sensor into the tube as well. But, when it's all said and done, it looks and sounds good, and if you get a CEL, you've probably got the vaccum hoses mixed up, or your intake temp sensor's flopping around and giving bad readings (happened to me). If you get a code and don't have a OBD II reader, you can always go to Autozone, they pull the codes for free.

Quick Reply: CT Engineering intake VS. K&N fipk intake