S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

anyone regret the catback exhaust they bought?

Old 03-22-2012 | 04:35 PM

I've had Four different exhausts so far.

1. Invidia Q300v4 Dual Loud as Hell ! Sounds fine if you keep your foot out it, when it hits vtec it sounds like your driving an old Ford Truck with Glass packs. w/ TP or 70mm HFC

2. Trust/ Greddy Ti R 60mm Single, Pretty Quiet Had a bit of Drone but not that bad. It was a moderately loud when vtec kicked in but it sounded pretty good & weighted like 8 lbs. 70mm HFC

3. Fujitsubo Legalis-R Dual- Great exhaust ! If anything bad to say is that its a bit too quiet ! Had this on the car with a 70mm HFC, Probably would of sounded better with a TP tho.

$. T1R 70R-EM Sparrow Dual Great Exhaust with awesome power & Torque gains that you can feel ! I have a 70mm HFC & it sounds OK, when vtec kicks in it isn't a unbearable Loud like the Q300 was.

I am now looking to trade for a Greedy Dual SE to see how this sounds. It's all up to the Driver of his/ Her car I guess !
Old 03-23-2012 | 12:05 PM

I run two exhaust systems

Track: Amuse R1000
All titanium that weighs 9lbs header back. Wonderful craftsmanship and makes power. However, way too LOUD for the street especially at WOT. Strictly track exhaust

Street: JIC Spartan semi-titanium
Good exhaust. Has a nice deep tone to it. Not too loud with the resonator. Doesn't make any power if anything it's restrictive. Good for street.

I'm thinking about getting the Berk's 3" for street. How "street-able" is it? I don't want to wake up my neighbors at 2AM when i come home.
Old 03-23-2012 | 04:02 PM

So here I am, nearly a month after starting this topic and still no exhaust. It turns out almost every on-line dealer has the medalion touring on back order from Japan. I ordered it several weeks ago from Race Inspired and now I'm being told the end of this month, another week. Geez I really wanted that exhaust.
Some great responses with interesting perspectives. I know it's always been a love it, hate it response to Invidia.
Old 03-23-2012 | 04:37 PM

Good luck, I hope its what you want. -Ken
Old 03-23-2012 | 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by kaotik25
I'm thinking about getting the Berk's 3" for street. How "street-able" is it? I don't want to wake up my neighbors at 2AM when i come home.
It is loud. Manageable, but loud. I cruse into my neighborhood late at night about 25-30 mph in 4th to keep it down. I do love it though.

Exhaust I regret, Megan drift spec. Kinda. I got it super cheap and it was fun to run once in a while. If I would have paid more than 100 for it then huge mistake.
Old 03-24-2012 | 08:25 AM

Haven't heard much about Apexi WS2. It doesn't look like it's all stainless steel, just the mufflers and it weighs in equal to or greater than the stock catback. Any complaints?
Does the megan oe rs dual sound ricey or is it fairly quiet except for WOT?
Old 03-24-2012 | 07:18 PM

Bama Dave & Steve from AL. have had the Apexi WS2 on their cars & it sounds really nice to me. It isnt all SS but How much time you going to spend under your car looking at it ? Both run it with a TP. Bama Dave now has a J's Single, Very Loud !
Old 03-25-2012 | 03:31 AM

My mugen exhaust is pretty amazing. Very little drone at all
Old 03-25-2012 | 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by GTIWV
My mugen exhaust is pretty amazing. Very little drone at all
came here to say the same thing except mine doesn't drone and i have a stock cat...are you running a test pipe?

either way, mugen ftw.

Old 03-25-2012 | 03:59 AM

Stainless steel isn't just about looks. Apexi uses mild steel for the piping between the cat and mufflers, coated with titanium particles. That's fine but exhausts produce water on the inside from temperature variations during warm up. Ever see water coming from the tail pipe at start up?. Uncoated mild steel exposed to water=rust. For $1000.00 I want all stainless steel construction. I've read here on this forum that some owners of the Apexi have had the piping break off due to corrosion where mild steel meets stainless.
Megan OE RS is another option I have under consideration but not too many opinions on this exhaust. I'm still looking for tiny weight savings plus a more aggressive sound under acceleration without ricey rasp or drone during normal driving.
Tanabe fit the bill but it looks like they are so far behind in supplying their product they may find themselves losing customers.

Quick Reply: anyone regret the catback exhaust they bought?